Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RSS Feed London 2012 Games spectators: visa applications open from 1 January 2012

From 1 January 2012 we will begin processing visitor visas for those coming from outside the UK to watch the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the British Embassy Bangkok RSS Feed)

Merry christmas T UK :-)
    "A journey of a thousand miles Starts with a single step" - Lao Tzu

Never mind a Visa did you get a ticket for what you wanted? Someone will say yes as this question has been posted before by me but most will answer no.

colin 244

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar

I applied for about £500 worth of tickets, col. Not sure why, as I don't want to be here for the duration. But, as an experiment, I didn't win the lottery for any that I applied for. Though, continue to receive spam from the Olympic Committee for whatever.

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Didn't bother, myself. I'm already sick of the whole thing. We've had briefings, training, new uniform consultation forms, managers constantly going on about us all needing to be 'the best of the best for the Olympics'

Ongoing negotiations delaying provision of our holiday entitlement, which has noused up my plans for my next visit to Thailand. Can't wait for all the nonsense to be over to be honest!

Although I'm certain it will all get more intense as the event gets closer and closer.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ dan&ploy's Avatar

Ah, new uniforms eh? Something traditional I hope.

220px-Pearlykingandqueen.jpg yes, they're going for the traditional look

What has annoyed me about the whole uniform issue is the consultation document.

In it, it describes the company's desire for the uniform to display certain qualities. One of those is 'professionalism'. Now that, to me, is something that clothing cannot display, it is for individuals to display professionalism. It turns out, however, that the company feels that a blazer displays 'professionalism'.

Do surgeons wear blazers? Do plumbers wear blazers? Do engineers wear blazers? Do people who write consultation documents have a basic grasp of English?

It just really winds me up that even in the year 2011 almost 2012, a suit type jacket is seen to show some kind of superiority, when all it really shows is that the person wearing it works in an office. They most likely do not clamber all over trains covered in grease, brake dust and the stomach contents of last night's passengers!

Nor do they carry with them a radio (with a spare battery), two ticket books (one for nice people and one for naughty people) company mobile phone (oddly enough, not the smallest models available) large set of carriage keys, hi-viz vest, assorted detritus in the guise of 'essential documents' (useless nonsense published by the company).

I don't know if you can tell, but I'm in 'rant mode' today! I had the 'black dog' around me yesterday, I shouted at it this morning and it has very wisely bogged off to bother someone else!

Add to that the fact that approximately 200,000 people decided that Westfield in Stratford was the place to be this morning, despite the fact that there was little or no Tube service, so they all got on my train but couldn't read a simple line diagram, or realise that trains are pretty much the same length as platforms (so they all have to get on via one set of doors). The phone service to Thailand is being unhelpful and I had to get up at 6am whilst most other people were nursing their hangovers and 'planning' their trip to Westfield, and you'll, hopefully, forgive my somewhat irascible mood today!
    "And yet, here you are."

Biffy, I am an engineer and I have fought all my life not to wear a suit. Managers wear suits because they don't do anything but engineers actually have to work and suits just hamper that. The only part of manager's suit that shows wear is the shiny arse. But then you must have had the the 'big wig visit' when we all have to clear our desks and benches to show we don't actually do anything all day.

Well I was working yesterday and today, if that helps, (although Christmas Day I tinkered around the garden), and I am wearing long shorts, a T shirt and a pair of socks, (because it is bleeding cold here). The joys of having your own company and being able to set the dress code.

Why don't you try and get away during the Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by dan&ploy View Post
    Why don't you try and get away during the Olympics?

Well, if they don't pay us enough for it, I will but as things stand at the moment, all leave is cancelled (they have phrased that as 'not yet been rostered' which means that no-one knows when their leave periods actually are) we don't get to 'book' our annual leave periods, they are given to us in 'blocks', an entirely sensible arrangement given that a definite number of people need to be on duty at any given time in order for the railway to run.

This usually allows me to do 'holiday swaps' with other staff members who are in different teams. This, along with about 7 days that I worked for other people on my rest days last year, gave me a very nice eight and a half week visit to Thailand last April/May/June

I have a verbal confirmation from a manger that I will not have to wear the ridiculously inappropriate blazer if I don't want to and can continue to wear the more practical clothing that the company presently provides. Also, it should be noted that during the English 'summer' even if temperatures outside can reach 30C, on the trains themselves, you can add another 5 or 6 degrees.

I won't be wearing a blazer!

If our illustrious leader, Mr Crow, is unable to prise enough sheckels from the hands of those who stand to gain the most from the Olympics, the travelling public will be transported to the events mainly by people on short term contracts and no more than the very basic training, whilst I cavort around Thailand watching the chaos on TV and smiling to myself
    "And yet, here you are."

I think a nice Denis Compton/Terry Thomas style blazer would rather suit you, Biffy. Especially if you get to wear a matching cap.

Don't get me started on headgear!
    "And yet, here you are."

I'm hoping the rail companies brighten the uniforms up and couldn't go wrong with a Butlins-type outfit.

This has got 'professional' written all over it.

butlins-go-retro.jpg

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Careful could be entering strike territory with that picture
    Jimmbo

I can't see what the problem is, jimmbo. It's got an Olympic feel to the colours, it's smart and has a certain joie de vivre about it.

It does need a cap though, or perhaps a Bowler hat.

Like this?

imagesCAP49XXG.jpg

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

I agree with you but it's not what we think that matters.
    Jimmbo

Quote Originally Posted by the_link View Post
    I'm hoping the rail companies brighten the uniforms up and couldn't go wrong with a Butlins-type outfit.

This has got 'professional' written all over it.

butlins-go-retro.jpg
    perfect! Apart from the bow tie, I think it should spin around and have lights on it.
    "And yet, here you are."

You're being silly now, biff.

sorry
    "And yet, here you are."