Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  131
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Member สมาชิก

Default Loog thung music

Although I do not have any Thai connections, I have for a number of years been hooked on the music delivered by quite a number of female loog thung singers, Fon, Tuktan, Bew, Earn the Star etc. My question is, can anyone tell me whether any of these Thai performers ever make it over to the UK? I have often tried Google, to no avail!

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

I wish they did Lemo, I've never seen anything advertised myself.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Nope never heard of them here.

colin 244

When I lived in the UK, my wife Nee, would often hear, through the grapevine that certain groups or individual singers had been over to the UK. But only after the event.

We used to go every year to the Battersea Park Thai Food Festival, and as it grew over the years, they would bring in Thai superstars, of film and stage, as a treat for the visiting hoardes. I think they did not advertise them, for fear of the food festival turning into a concert, and not a cultural event.

The last one I attended 6 years ago featured Janet Kheow, who was excellent.

The point I am making, really, is that sometimes, in the past, due to their lack of notoriety in the UK, many artistes, and their managers or record companies, did not think it would be commercially viable to advertise.

Jintala Poonlaap (sorry, not sure of the spelling) and Bird Thongchai, did performances in the UK, but we only found out, after the event. I always thought Jintala was the most beautiful Thai I had seen, and would have loved to have seen her in the flesh, so to speak. But it wasn't to be.

Dave.

Member สมาชิก

Many thanks indeed for that Dave, very helpful and enlightening. Oh well, as a trip to Thailand is sadly not an option I will have to settle for the occasional package of CDs from ethaicd. I confess I spend far too long on youtube either simply enjoying the music videos or discovering the countless different aspects of Thailand, a truly amazing country, well described as the land of smiles.
    I will keep hunting and who knows one day I may learn of some of the big names once again straying to the UK for a performance.

Lewis

Well worth a trip to LOS once in your life Lewis

colin 244

Yes, Lewis. You say you don't have any Thai connections, neither did I till I went there!
    "And yet, here you are."

Quote Originally Posted by Lemo View Post
    Although I do not have any Thai connections, I have for a number of years been hooked on the music delivered by quite a number of female loog thung singers, Fon, Tuktan, Bew, Earn the Star etc. My question is, can anyone tell me whether any of these Thai performers ever make it over to the UK? I have often tried Google, to no avail!
    Now there is a tale waiting to be told. How did you get into Loog Thung ? A world music radio show? A random you tube hit? Soundtrack at your local Thai restaurant? Go on share how you got hooked.

Richard

ps for those who have no idea what this is this is a wiki link though I can not vouch for its accuracy having no knowledge of the genre myself

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luk_thung

Member สมาชิก

Well Richard it may be a tale but it is a boring one!
    As I recall it all started with chancing upon a Youtube bit about the plight of the Hmong about five years ago that lead to listening to and enjoying their music, (and reading the disturbing book - Tragic Mountains) this in turn lead to discovering the huge number of (absolutely stunning) Thai female singers out there. Some have a difficult to define lyrical magic in their voice that I cannot resist. I found ethai offers a great service with free delivery of (very cheap)CDs- even to the wilds of Scotland, I now now have a few dozen and occasionally do brief reviews of the best
    I am pretty sure I have the only Petrol Station in the UK that treats its customers to Thai music - to date I do not think I have had a Thai customer in though!
    Thanks to Phrakanong I have learned much about Bangkok, various other Youtube vids relating to rural Thailand have been really enlightening, they are truly fascinating and occupy far too much of my time.To sample the music why not try
    complete with subtitles for those that need them.
    Oh, I do also enjoy Scots Gaelic music and many other genres. Incidentally, my daughter has recently surprised me with tickets for the two of us to go along to Blink 182 when they play Glasgow in June, nothing like a bit of variety...
    Bet you nodded off halfway through this diatribe Richard - but you did ask!

Lewis

Lewis. Your story was anything but boring. I was intrigued totally, and am full of admiration for your detective work via youtube. That site must have opened up new worlds to a lot of people.

Good stuff mate. well done.

Dave.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I do like a bit of Earn The Star and the country stuff too, even if it does make the wife think I'm "bannok bannok"

and not just the ladies..............

PS I know you say a trip to LOS is not on the cards; but if you ever get a chance to go it will make you appreciate the music so much more

Steve

Member สมาชิก

Thanks for that Steve, I had not come across the video before, there are so many. Gets a bit frustrating when a good one is found, only for it to be withdrawn a bit later for whatever reason
    You threw me with the bannok, up here a bannock is a scone! I think I get the drift though
    I really would love to spend time Thailand, just once even, but will have to let Youtube take me there meantime.
    Mind you, I do enjoy life Scotland, in the Winter it is cold and wet, in the Summer the rain warms up, and when it stops - the midges come out...
    Incidentally, one of the key lines I sell is welly boots - so every cloud etc.

Lewis

Member สมาชิก

Until Richard asked me I really had not given it a thought Dave, thanks for your comments. Between Youtube and Google there are not too many unknowns nowadays!
    Although I have lived in the same area all my life, through Youtube I was able to view a previously unseen local fascinating scene, a cargo boat (SS Breda) that was bombed and sunk during the war, just a few hundred yards offshore - until then all I had ever seen was the mast!
    Thailand offers so many different aspects, it would be a challenge to know where to prioritise . If the prospect of a visit ever crops up it is good to know there is a helpful Forum I can turn to for first hand advice

Thanks again

Lewis

Hi Lewis, just thought you might like to have a look at this http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/

It's free software that allows you to download youtube videos (amongst other things).

That way, you can keep them forever on your computer. You can also download them as mp3 files which go nicely on your phone or ipod

By the way...Kon Bannock (pronounced Barn Nork in Thai) http://thai-language.com/id/197797

means 'bumpkin'
    "And yet, here you are."

Banned

Makes me realise how lucky I am as I have seen all these singers since new year, some several times. Takkaden had a house party in Jan which was really good. Lewis you might be interested to know that Scotland is a country that seems to fascinate many Thai's, my mrs always wants to go there as well. I heard that the it's harder for them to get visa's to the UK so maybe Scotland should go independent! Thai singers quite often perform on the continent especially Holland, Germany and Switzerland.

Member สมาชิก

Yes, many thanks, that looks useful, I will check it out, unfortunately I am a bit of a bannok when it comes to technical stuff! Will delegate sorting out to my son.
    I guessed correctly as to the meaning but did not want to commit to words in case I got it wrong and offended...

Member สมาชิก

You are indeed fortunate Brian, I envy you. At one point I did hold out hopes of a visit and attempted to discover whether any performances were advertised in Bangkok, again I failed to find anything!
    A few years back I think I did come across a singer, or singers performing in France but did not ever do any more research

There are I believe two or three Thai ladies married to folks in the general area. One had a really nice Thai Takeaway in the town but closed it down as she was expecting a baby. I do know one guy who married a Thai a few years ago, he was saying the knowledge his wife was expected to have about the UK was incredible. I am certain I would have failed miserably! I have not seen him lately for an update.
    To be honest, I do not think I could settle in another country, especially at my time of life (as they say...) I do enjoy the peace and pace of rural life here. Hectic at times, but not all the time

I am sitting in the comfort of my own home with Kat Rattikarn delivering Long Mae Ping beautifully courtesy as always of Youtube, after that there are countless options, so life is not so bad

rural thailand.jpgLemo, here's a bit of my rural peace and pace, when I actually manage to get out there that is! This is about ten minutes from my house in the North of Thailand. Just across the river you can see Laos PDR, the river is the border.
    "And yet, here you are."

Member สมาชิก

Well, I have to say Bifftastic that does look impressive - and peaceful. Chiangrai is certainly one part of the country I would love to see, but there are so many different areas, and they are all so different, it really is hard to grasp

I have just had a quick look through good old Youtube and discovered a neighbour has done a drive through our village - and the next one. In fact our house is at 0.20 and Filling Station at 0.23! The pace it is shown at is not quite real...
    Hope you enjoy, I was quite taken aback to find it

All the best, I hope you manage to get plenty quality time at your other home this year

Lewis

seeing as it's live shows your after, here's the next best thing.

I don't know if you know her work, but she's my favourite Thai artist, Dtai Oratai

And a bit of an Isaan style dance number to follow

Then a medoly from another live TV show...

Enjoy
    "And yet, here you are."