Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  335
Likes Likes:  1,785
Dislikes Dislikes:  68
Page 49 of 60 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Ash, why are you going to Laos for your visa? I thought you were based just north west of Bangkok now. Seems a long way to go if your not 100%.

Aside; my BIL had an accident and like you it was not his fault. He asked the insurance company who was dealing with the claim to supply (at their cost) a letter from the hospital to say he could not travel and he should be excused for visa extension until he was better. They agreed and was granted a 5 week exemption. All the donkey work was carried out by the insurance company.
    He even lived only 60km from the border!
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GTG View Post
    when I couldn't sit and chat with my family about their work and lives and women and whatever. Spending time with friends who were pretty fluent, reading, writing, hilltribe dialects, the lot, and seeing how much more they were getting out of life there, used to depress me at times.
    Yeah I know exactly what you mean G, the mrs often moans about my lack of interaction with her family, some people seem gifted at picking it up, I am hopeless and expect will remain so.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

the mrs often moans about my lack of interaction with her family
    For me this is one of the only downsides to visiting my Mrs home town. I guess my lack of interaction could be mistaken for ignorance or shyness by some. But thats not the case. Its just incredibly hard to interact without having to translate everything through my wife. There's only so much sitting around smiling one can do before it get boring. Its hard enough trying to learn "Bangkok Thai" which is useless when we're up in Isaan anyway. But the few isaan words/phrases I have learned are also useless given that they talk at a million mph too

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by livingwithathaigirl View Post
    I know what you mean but I'd say don't have any prejudices rather than expectations (with expectations meaning standards). It's reasonable to have some basic expectations: expectations in a marriage that your wife will love you; expectations in a family that a parent will have responsibility for a child; expectations in a job that employees will do their duties and that their employer will pay them, etc.
    Regardless of what you'd say. I chose the word expectations carefully. What we expect from a person is precisely what clouds our responses and forms a prejudice.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

There's always one element of a person that the language barrier could hide for years. Maybe, just maybe, the GF's you've had so far are thick as a plank
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Quote Originally Posted by shrek48 View Post

Why is a years visa not a years visa for all of Thailand?
    Why is a 2 year teachers license not valid for 2 years all over Thailand?
    Why is a W/P not valid for 1 year all over Thailand?
    Money for old rope springs to mind!!!
    Ash.x
    Your visa is still valid, assuming you have done the 90 day visa runs.

If you haven't and your permission to stay has been extended because of your work permit, then that permission to stay ends when your work permit is terminated. Your work permit was for one specific location and job. Lose the job, lose the permit, lose the permission to stay.

In those circumstances, your visa expired as soon as you failed to do a 90 day visa run.

If the school are helping you to get a new non-imm B visa (they're not replacing it, you are) then they will need to provide you with paperwork which you then take to a consulate or embassy outside of Thailand. It may be because they can't (or can't be bothered to) do it in time why they are asking you to go and get a 30 visa exempt stamp (this is not a visa) to give them more time. You only get 30 days if you fly into Thailand, land border crossing will give you 15 days. Again, this is not a visa and does not allow you to work.

If your teachers licence was a temporary one, it was tied to that school. Move schools, lose the temporary licence. If you have competed the TCT courses in full and been given a 2 year teacher's licence, it is valid in any school for 2 years.

It is quite tricky to tie your permission to stay in the Kingdom on a work permit. If you lose your job you have to leave the Kingdom within 7 days. I know people who work, and have work permits, but their permission to stay is by other means. Either they keep their visas 'alive' by doing the 90 day runs, or they extend their permission to stay by marriage to a Thai citizen (retirement extension isn't an option if you want to work legally).

So, if you're being sent out of the country by your new school, and you come back with a visa exempt stamp, you can't work legally. If I were you, I'd ask the school for the necessary paperwork for a new non-imm B visa, go to Laos, or wherever is nearest, and get that. Then, keep that visa alive by doing 90 day visa runs. That way, if you move jobs again, you don't have to start from scratch.

Find out about, and complete as soon as possible, the TCT courses required to obtain your full teacher's licence.

It's true that Thailand does make it hard to work there, but it is often made harder still if you allow the well meaning people in the school office, or the immigration office, to inform you of the way it should be done.

Find out what you need, as opposed to what makes their day easier for them, and get that.

Alternatively, be prepared to be run around the place starting from scratch (and emptying your pockets) every time you decide to move.

If you do decide to get a 30 day stamp, and then work on it, and you fall on the wrong side of someone who knows the rules, you can end up in some extremely hot water and be back in the UK (after the lovely Thai legal system has emptied your bank account) before you can say "arai wah!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Hi yes I have a full teachers license and w/p and visa, but because i have moved province i have to go to cambodia first as its a daily run for the company who are doing visa runs.
    That is to cancel my current paper work as my old school will not cancel it, basically because they don'y know how to is the truth of it.
    The laos run will give me 30 or 60 days, the school wants only 30 days as they can change my w/p and teacher license easily(s0 they say)
    My questions were more rhetorical really, I just want to know why a w/p is not just that a w/p to work in Thailand? the same for a teachers license ??
    Ash.x

- - - Updated - - -

ps my 90 day is ok until end of jan
    Ash.x

Sorry, but I'm not getting this at all, what kind of Visa do you have at the moment Ash?

A work permit is not just a blanket 'this person can work in Thailand' because, like in many other countries, the company that applies for your work permit for you has to show why you are required to do that particular job and why a Thai person cannot do it. In your case that would be because you are a native English speaker. But this has to be done on a job by job basis, because you are not a Thai national.

Given that you have left the job to which the work permit relates to, you no longer have a valid work permit.

If you have a full teacher's licence then you must have already completed the TCT courses and paid your fees. I haven't seen any posts from you about that, and seeing as you refer to your TL as only being valid in one province, which is the case for temporary TL or a 2 year waiver, I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that your TL was temporary. Sorry about that.

Out of interest, what were the TCT courses like? I've had people tell me all sorts of different things about them and I would be interested to hear your opinion. Did they let you take them all in one go (over a few days) or did you break up the 30 hours into different sessions over a longer period? Did you have to travel far to get there?

I would be particularly interested to hear what you thought of the Thai culture and Teacher's code of Ethics section of the course, as again, I have heard mixed reports about it's usefulness.

As for your visa, it would be helpful if you explained what your current permission to stay is based on. Are you on an extension of permission to stay based on your previous job? Are you on one of the 90 day allocations of your visa?

If you have, as you say, a valid visa with a current permission to stay, then you don't need to go anywhere.
    Last edited by bifftastic; 14th Dec 2012 at 14:30.
    "And yet, here you are."

Quote Originally Posted by bifftastic View Post

If you have, as you say, a valid visa with a current permission to stay, then you don't need to go anywhere.
    Quite, a Visa for Thailand, is all of Thailand, moving from one province to another means absolutely nothing...... so, Ash, which variety of Visa do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Thaddeus View Post
    Quite, a Visa for Thailand, is all of Thailand, moving from one province to another means absolutely nothing...... so, Ash, which variety of Visa do you have?
    If Ash is driven away from the forum, will any medals be awarded to the protagonists? Will the forum be a more positive place? Will the post count go up? Will Thailand be a better country?

Ash hasn't liked some things I have posted, but hope Ash does not leave the forum (hope he learns from it though) and hope that he continues to publish experiences from the warmer side of the world. Would love to see the dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyB View Post
    If Ash is driven away from the forum, will any medals be awarded to the protagonists? Will the forum be a more positive place? Will the post count go up? Will Thailand be a better country?

Why would Ash be 'driven away' by questions about his visa?

It might be the case that he discovers that he doesn't need to do a visa run, in which case he will have benefited from these questions.

It may be the case that, once he lets everyone know what his visa status is, that his situation (regarding his permission to stay in Thailand) becomes clearer.

If it becomes clearer, that may help other people who are looking for information about that very subject.

They are just questions.
    "And yet, here you are."

Quote Originally Posted by AntonyB View Post
    Talk about wrong end of the stick!

From what Ash has posted, it sounds like he could be being fed a load of BS from a Thai source, wouldn't be the first time that has happened to anyone would it, and would it not be to his benefit to find out?

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by bifftastic View Post
    Regardless of what you'd say. I chose the word expectations carefully. What we expect from a person is precisely what clouds our responses and forms a prejudice.
    You obviously think very differently from me.

Seeing as the basic expectations I mentioned are of all human behaviour rather than any particular race, religion, gender or nationality, against what could I form a prejudice? Given that prejudice is a preconceived unfair judgement against a particular person or group that is not reasonable given actual experience, if my expectations are that all humans should maintain minimum standards of behaviour (e.g. not murder, maim, rape, steal, etc), how could that form a prejudice?

Further discussion to be moved to a 'Grasshopper' thread so as to not derail Shrek's?

Quote Originally Posted by livingwithathaigirl View Post
    You obviously think very differently from me.
    Yes, I believe I do.
    "And yet, here you are."

Rock on Shrek and keep posting, what is right for one person is wrong for another as we are all individuals whether right or wrong in other eyes (good luck in what you do)

colin 244

Hi,

Firstly all and any questions are fine.
    I am on a non b visa
    I have a 2 year teachers license
    I have a w/p for mahasarakham province
    I have completed the TCT course in April 2012
    The course was over 1 week Monday to Friday and was impart useful and for the most part useless.

I have not liked many responses here but I generally reply to most people there are 1 or 2 I do not bother answering.
    My thoughts on the w/p permit were why do i have to renew it why cannot it simply be transfered? if I leave 1 teaching post and take up another, surely a letter of new employment and a quick rubber stamp from the w/p office would suffice, as it would be obvious I am still teaching in an employment area that cannot be filled by a national.
    The same for the teachers license? for the 2 years it's valid.

On a different note the lawyer my lady friend from Kk got for me as she knew him has disapeared as soon as I sent her home ?? funny coincidence that ??
    So now another week wasted and I have to get a new lawyer, and I spoke to him Friday night and all seemed ok!!!
    Injuries healing slowly, but some of that will be now that I am exercising again against doctors orders.
    Bike should be ready Tuesday ??? we won't hold our breath will we ;-)
    ASH.X
    Ash.x

In that case there is no need for you to go to Cambodia.

I can't say for certain why Wp's are not transferable, but it could be that there is quite an amount of effort, and cost, involved in obtaining one, can you imagine the number of complaints from the Thai side, if one school does the work, only for the teachers to quit and move to a different one.

Wps are for a particular company and job role just like those in Switzerland used to be thats not just a Thai thing. It is however one of the things that one has to accept if one chooses to work in a non eu country.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen