Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brick wall U.K passport for my 3 month old "thai" son / certificate of no impediment

Hi everybody.I was hoping for some advice.I have a 3 month old son in thailand.I am "married" to his mum (buddhist ceremony)....i did take the certificate of no impediment to marry so we could legalize the marriage but due to a communication breakdown...i didn't get the document translated and unfortunately at the time, there was no option to go to Bangkok to do this.

I'm presuming that in order to get him a British passport, we would need to have this marriage legalized?

Im going back out there in 2 weeks, for a short 2 week stay.I need to complete the wedding document issue and also get a U.K, passport for my boy......does anybody know anything about this? where and how i would do this?

Also tips on the wedding certificate/translation issue would be amazing! Any help would be so greatly appreciated.I'm dreading the whole thing because i know i'm going to be running around BKK. ALONE. (i've never been to BKK other than suvarnabhumi airport!) I look like a 16 year old and i bruise like a peach.. .My wife lives in Ubon Ratchathani and with the boy being so young, it's unlikely she will come to Bkk with me.......Thanks in advance guys! Daniel.

P.s. if anybody is wondering WHY i'm doing this...it's my hope to get them over here for christmas on a holiday visa!

Hi Daniel,

(i've never been to BKK other than suvarnabhumi airport!) I look like a 16 year old and i bruise like a peach..
    Didn't we all when we started our adventures in Thailand. Don't worry, you will soon 'man' up and look like a hairy coconut in a few years time.
    If I remember, marriage has nothing to do with it so long as your name is on the birth certificate, you can get the boys dual nationality/passport.
    The 'expert' will reply soon; be patient.
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Thanks ian!

Member สมาชิก

Dear Dan

I have just done this and the final bit from the UK ( sending off for UK passport ) ,

forgive my bolshy approach , ache

you get married in your amphur in your local city in Thailand ,

if u have the UK affirmation to marry happy days , you can do it in possibly in a day ...(get the papers to marry !)

My plan would be.............

when in BKK ...stay near the airport " gold silver garden ", its about 650bht a night and they are used to fallang there

then wake up 5 am .. walk to the local big road and get taxi to Ministry Foreign Affairs ( take a google map printout ) ridiculously early i know , and get your english affirmation to marry translated into Thai, then go upstairs and pay for 1 day service

should be @ B500 each way taxi

if u r lucky you could be on your way in a day ,

- - - Updated - - -

all the info is here on Thai UK ,

don,t tell hotel staff what u want to do or they will be talking about i know taxi , agent , people ect and it will wear u out BS its easy to do ..

when you have the Thai translation ( affimation )you can get married

when u have the marriage papers u can chill , assuming u have money and u can send to Hull Thai consulate ...

,,the Thai consulate in UK charges for birth and marriage cert £120 ish for certified English translation plus ur recorded post ect

otherwise you can got to MFA BKK get translation , certify , you could save a bit of dosh , depending if it goes well

then u need to get a Thai postal order for B5200 (pls check not sure the exact amount)

, for the UK passport fee ,

your UK birth certificate and all your marriage papers with your baby's birth cert all translated & certified genuine , and you send to the british embassy Bangkok , for a passport application there is an online form " OL " which is easier than writing it all out

from here or BKK depending where u get the last certified copy' s done

back to the beer

oh

get ur mrs address in Thai so it can be sent there , with all the supporting documents , then she can apply for a thai passport for nipper thus avoiding future visa hassles

good luck

Regards Testa

[MODERATOR EDIT: This post has been edited because of a language filter violation. Please see this topic for more information relating to the use of inappropriate language in the forums and attempts to circumvent the language filter . Thank you for your cooperation.]
    Last edited by Tobias; 17th Aug 2012 at 22:45. Reason: lot of info

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

You don't need to be married to get the nipper a passport mate

You can arrange for that at the same time you're at the embassy getting your affirmation sorted out. Don't worry, Bangkok doesn't bite! It's like Stoke with the heating turned up a bit

Member สมาชิก

khun Biff , Dan

you are right ( :

My wife being married previously would have had to prove and translate & certify ect all her divorce papers , for the passport form C2 .. maybee my advise is better for divorcee ( :,

good luck Dan Bee and baby

- - - Updated - - -

if you have ,

or can get sent your baby's birth cert here ,

you can get by started by sending it to hull for official translation,

the Thai postal order payment is your only hassle

unless you send to via your Thai tee rak's tee yuu (:

best wishes

testa

One important point. When you do apply for the British passport you need to have the FULL version of your birth certificate - the longer one which also lists your parents names and (I think) occupations.
    Gordie T Geordie

Indeed. It's called the long birth certificate I believe.

I had a long birth, though I think me mam should have got the certificate after 24 hours of labour!
    Gordie T Geordie

Hey Testa...GREAT POST mate.Thanks so much...very helpful.I will definitely check out the "gold silver garden" and i'm thinking the 5am start is a very good idea....i really don't want to waste time in Bkk when i could be with my wife and son! One question though testa , when you mentioned about going upstairs for the one day service...what was that for? And just to clarify, ONCE i have this translated affirmation...WHERE do i have to go to have it stamped?? is it far from the MFA? Thanks again!

Member สมาชิก

I was on a about the one day authenticated translation service for you freedom to marry paper, hehe

its in the MFA same same, so take ur freedom to marry paper there , the MFA has a little translation / book shop as you enter the MFA on your left who will do the Thai translation , any problem its 2 mins away , then take it up stairs to authenticating office,for the stamp ... then head of to your local office to get married

best of luck Dan

I only know this because of this forum ( :

and all the other unsure souls who walked into the great unknown MFA , ( :

Uk embassy first to get your affirmation signed and stamped by the British government. MFA to get it translated, and stamped by the Thai government.

Then you can take it to any Amphur in Thailand and get officially married

Personally, I wouldn't choose a hotel near the airport. Getting into town, and back out again, would be a bit of a hassle and cost quite a lot more on cab fares.

I'd choose one near a BTS station. The embassy is near Ploen Chit station and you can jump in a cab from Mo Chit to get to the MFA for 100 baht. BTS fares are between 15 and 30 baht.

But those details are all personal choice.

Gold silver garden is a dump we had the misfortune to stay a couple of weeks ago. Much better staying in town near the embassy area
    ash
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Member สมาชิก

say what u mean ... lol , I only offer bad advise

very clean rooms when we stayed , nice A/C , full fridge .. ohh well maybe its changed .. we liked having the market next door for 650b and a free pick up from airport , I will be there in a few weeks and see for myself

any hotels under 1500b in the city ?

http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/b...rp=0#reviewTop
    Last edited by testa; 18th Aug 2012 at 22:04. Reason: review

Quote Originally Posted by testa View Post

any hotels under 1500b in the city ?
    Yes. Hundreds. we stated in Sathorn for 800 baht a night. About five minutes walk from Surasak BTS station. I've also stayed right next to Pra Khanong station for 1000 baht a night. It was literally ten metres from the station entrance.

As for an airport transfer type hotel, I would recommend the Great Residence http://m.agoda.com/en-us/asia/thaila...umi_hotel.html

Airport transfers included. Nice clean rooms, an alarm call in time for your departure flight. All for 600 baht.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Dan .... Look post No 12
    Uk embassy first to get your affirmation signed and stamped by the British government. MFA to get it translated, and stamped by the Thai government.

I have a very strong feeling that the MFA won't accept a transulation unless the original paper has been seen and stamped by the British Embassy. That is going to take some while at the BE ... follow this up and confirm or you may waste a whole day.

And here are the costs http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/he...-services-fee/
    Last edited by CWattana; 19th Aug 2012 at 01:23. Reason: More info

Thanks guys....i've got it all down on paper.Wish me luck! I feel way more confident about it now.My flight get's me in to Bkk at 3pm......is it best to go straight to the embassy guys, get the signature and then head to the MFA early the next morning? and finally,do they speak good english in both the embassy and the MFA.....? My thai is pretty basic!

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

It's the Consular Section that you want ... these are the opening hours as per their web site http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/ab...ssy/contact-us and there will be a queue so get there before they open.

The BE staff speak good english. Not sure about the MFA but you will get buy ... my wife always takes me!

We need to go sometime, if it's before you leave the UK then I'll ask where you need to go and in what order and post it. Actually I only live a few Kms from the MFA .

English is spoken at the British Embassy. Not so much at the MFA but enough.

Yes the MFA will only accept your affirmation of freedom to marry if it is worded in the same way as the example on the embassy website and is signed/stamped at the British embassy in Bangkok.

When you go in the door at the MFA you go up the escalator, then there's a staircase to go up one more floor. When you get to the right floor there's a reception desk where you show them your paperwork. They give you a ticket and you then go to the supervisors office which is to the left as you look at the service windows at the front of the room.

The supervisor then checks your paperwork then you go to one of the windows to submit it. If you want the same day 'express' service which is done in one day, you pay 800 baht.

If you're early enough then it could be a few hours wait. Could be less. You might want to come back later. You can just sit it out if you want. There's a food hall in the building.

Good luck mate.

is it best to go straight to the embassy guys
    No chance! By the time you clear immigration and customs, navigate your way out even to a waiting taxi, your right into the start of rush hour. I would imagine at that time you would arrive at the embassy by 6pm if your lucky.
    Best book a hotel near the embassy and go in the morning nice and fresh.
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.