Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Married in the UK and wanting to register the marriage in Thailand

Hi

My Thai wife and I got married in the UK last year and want to register the marriage in Thailand and get her name changed etc.

We currently live in London and I was wondering if its possible to do any of the process from over here? Everything I've read seems to involve numerous trips around Bangkok but this seems to be aimed at people living in Thailand and also largely at people married in Thailand.

I think we will need to ultimately go to my wife's home town to get her ID changed but can we go there directly without having to spend 3 or 4 days marching around Bangkok first?

Many thanks

James

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Hi James, welcome to the forum

The marching around Bangkok (mine was a very sedate march, more of a stroll really!) would be for people who need to supply the Thai government with the documents they require in order to marry in Thailand.

You don't need those.

As for registering the marriage in Thailand, I don't think you can. That would be the same as registering a Thai marriage in the UK. Married is married, you can only do it once, in one place.

What I suggest you do is to obtain a Thai translation of your UK marriage certificate and take that to the Amphur where your wife is registered and have her surname officially changed. Part of that procedure notes the fact that the name has been changed due to the person adopting their spouse's surname.

That will result in her having a new Thai ID card issued, a change in the Tabien Ban, and the possibility of her having a new Thai passport in her married name.

This is the part that can, potentially, cause some difficulty on the return leg of the trip as her ticket will have been issued in the name on her current passport.

In order to avoid those issues I would advise that, on this occasion, she change the ID card but not the passport.

Travel back to the UK and at a later date, contact the Thai embassy to have a new passport issued with her new surname. Again, that presents some potential difficulty with her visa being in the old passport, and this has been discussed at length here before.

I seem to remember that she can keep the old passport with her visa in it in case she needs to show it to anyone.

I may be wrong about that part

The other, more expensive, option would be for her to travel to Thailand on a one way ticket, change everything (passport included) and then book a one way flight back to the UK in her new name.

As for the translation, you can get that done here. I believe the Thai consulate in Hull offer that service. Make sure that your surname is translated to your satisfaction, it might be an idea for your wife to decide exactly how it is to be written in the Thai script. She should make a note of it and make sure that it's the same in all her Thai documents.

Good luck with it all.

Biff
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Changing the ID should be simple but when we did it a few years back they asked for a document from the MFA validating the marriage despite the fact that the Thai embassy already did that. I would contact the embassy in London and check the latest requirements and get them to do translations etc. Tea money passed back and forth and the name change was completed we left it for several years after the marriage as it was not convenient to visit the local ampur due to limited leave etc.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks guys, it did seem to me a bit over the top to have to do all the Bangkok stuff. On the visa in the passport point, this has changed. Her Visa is actually now a separate ID card so changing her passport shouldn't be a problem.

From my experience, every Amphur office, and pretty much every official in the whole of Thailand, seem to interpret the laws/rules in their own way.

It's not always done in the way that it's suppose to be done.

If possible, I would make contact with the Pu Yai Baan in your wife's home town so that he or she can make sure of exactly what will be required in the Amphur before you walk in the door with what you assume to be the correct paperwork, only for them to say that they need something different (the something different usually comes in a bottle ).

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and good news on the passport thing assuming that she's already got your surname on her UK ID card?
    "And yet, here you are."

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Sackrobson,

just a quick question did you meet your thai gf in uk then like i have?

or did you meet over there then she came here on the fiance visa?

sorry im just searching for any help i can get.

Chris

Rookie มือใหม่

Chris - I met her in Thailand when i was travelling over there in 2008 and she came over here the year after, initially on a 6 month visa then the year after that on a fiance visa.

Biff - the visa ID card is in her name also but we are happy to sort out her passport and the ID card from here once we have her Thai ID card sorted. It feels safer doing it from inside the country than risk some awkward border control official with different names on IDs. We are going to get her mother to go into the office in her home town and find out exactly what we need to have. Cheers.

Good plan mate.

Hope it works out well for you

If she's just changing her name in Thailand, it should be a relatively painless procedure. Thai people change their names quite often. A monk will tell them it's good luck, a bird will pass by when they're thinking of lottery numbers, a dream...pretty much anything you can think of will have them up at the Amphur signing the forms

If I remember correctly, my wife's name change cost about ฿50
    "And yet, here you are."

Sorry Biff but your wrong regarding registering a Thai marriage with the UK authorites. You can do it at the BE and once it's all done you will receive a copy of your wedding cert translation embossed with the stamp of the Registrar for Births, Deaths and Marriages.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Yes done that Keith , at a cost ,but just wanted every base covered ,althou not needed for visa

Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    Sorry Biff but your wrong regarding registering a Thai marriage with the UK authorites. You can do it at the BE and once it's all done you will receive a copy of your wedding cert translation embossed with the stamp of the Registrar for Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Well, firstly, I was talking about registering a UK marriage with the Thai authorities, and the process you're referring to isn't registering a marriage exactly, it's lodging a copy of your marriage certificate with the GRO there's no requirement to do this, as it says here http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/he...ster-marriage/

It is not a legal requirement that you have your Thai marriage certificate deposited with the General Register Office (GRO) in the UK.
    And here http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/he...ng-marriage-uk it further says;

Depositing your marriage document is not a legal requirement.

You are unable to register a Thai marriage in the UK. As a general rule, as long as your marriage is valid and legal in the country in which it took place, it is likely to be recognised in the UK. If you are in doubt as to the legality of your marriage, please consult a solicitor.

You can simply deposit your Thai marriage certificate with the General Registry Office (England / Scotland / Northern Ireland) in the UK for safe-keeping at any time after the marriage has taken place. When you are in Thailand, you can apply for this service through the British Embassy.
    The section I have highlighted in blue may be what you are referring to?

Registering a marriage, is getting married. You can only do it once. If you do it twice, that's bigamy, although it would be to the same person! So bigamy is probably the wrong word!
    "And yet, here you are."

All to their own but why change name? wifey's Thai documents are in her Thai name and her UK documents (apart from visa) are in her married name and she has no problem with this.

colin 244

Sorry Biff, but I think your playing with the words and being rather pedantic
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

On the contrary, I'm being specific and accurate.
    "And yet, here you are."

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Sorry Keith but I think you misinterpreted Biff's coments. It's clear to me he was talking about registering a UK marriage in Thailand, and not the other round.