Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Default Marriage Docs - Using courier to sit at MFO

I have the tightest of tight schedules for getting my documents notarised / translated / stamped off at MFO.

I plan to have the documents already translated by my TGF. I don't arrive at BKK until 0920 hours, so was hoping to get straight to the British Embassy to see if they can at least take possession of my affirmations/docs.

Once I have them back, as I have extended family and friends to look after who are coming over to celebrate the wedding, I was hoping to use a company (hopefully around the Silom area) who can provide the MFO attendance/waiting/processing/collection/delivering of completed documents for this.

I have read a lot on here that many are aware of this service available, but I didn't see anyone discussing that they had actually used a company to do this.

I would be obliged if someone who has used / heard of their mates using this service, and, if they can recommend or know of any company (especially if around Silom area) that would do this.

Thanks very much in advance.

HC.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar

I don't know anyone that has used this service but I do know it exists and when you have been to MFA half a dozen times, you tend to notice how popular the courier services are because at 2pm you can barely get past the blighters to get to the counter.

You will find nearly all the translation companies provide a courier service. There are many near the Embassy and they'd probably drop off the documents to your address anywhere in BKK.

Quote Originally Posted by the_link View Post
    You will find nearly all the translation companies provide a courier service. There are many near the Embassy and they'd probably drop off the documents to your address anywhere in BKK.
    Thats the service I used, but went back the next day to collect. Was in no great rush but just thought I could make better use of the time.

Thank you both for updating this thread.

To BM Caller, can you remember which company you used and how much?

Thanks

I used a company to do this eons ago. They are called 'Professional Translation' and are just up the road from the Embassy near Ploen Chit BTS.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

When we went to the MFA for the second time, we arrived at about 11am, but the book shop was too busy to translate our documents before the cut off time (1pm was it..?). We used one of the courier guys outside to translate the marriage certificate, her birth certificate and change of name certificate, and it was all done and back to us within the hour, I think a bit less than that!

But, I was a bit nervous about using him as you just don't know what kind of service you're going to get I suppose...

Thats more reassuring with your replies. Thanks guys.

I was a bit confused as my mate said when did it himself at MFA, he initially had to fill in a form, then take it to another desk.

I suppose if you are a courier, you are signing 'on behalf' of the applicant ??

So for those that have done it, if I arrive at BKK airport at 0920 hours, do you reckon I could get the Embassy to issue my stamped docs by the afternoon then to a courier later that day to do the necessary the day after??

This forum rocks !

Cheers

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar

Nobody can really give you a definitive answer to that, HappyCar. When I went to the British Embassy a little over two years ago it was next-day service and that was that. But, I've heard people here getting the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry same-day.

Though, even if you have to wait for next-day service, you still have a chance to get the document translated and notarised at MFA. If you can only achieve next-day service with the Embassy you could always instruct a translation service to prepare the copy of your document on your first day in preparation, which is what we did as I needed to pick it up early the following day to get to MFA as early as possible.

Thansk TL, thats a good shout actually to have the Translator/Courier tee'd up ready to go once I get the shout from the Embassy.

Nice one

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So for those that have done it, if I arrive at BKK airport at 0920 hours, do you reckon I could get the Embassy to issue my stamped docs by the afternoon
    I guess it depends on a number of things like how busy they are, what time you actually get to the Embassy etc. Realistically if you arrive on time into BKK its still going to take you a while to get through immigration, collect your bags and get into town. When I did mine last year I got to the Embassy for around 10.00am and handed in the affirmation. I was allowed to collect it after 14.30 the same day. I then took it to a translation office and had it back by 16.00(ish) (the translation) so no time to do anything else that day like the MFA.

I was a bit confused as my mate said when did it himself at MFA, he initially had to fill in a form, then take it to another desk
    Yes, when you go up to the legalisation dept there is a counter for your initial enquiry where you fill in a form telling them why you are there. If I remember correctly I think I had to give a photocopy of my passport at this point too. They ask you if you need the same day service (which you will), give you a number and send you to the supervisors office. The supervisor checks your form/affirmation and sends you back to the main area where you collect another number and wait to hand in the affirmation and pay the fee. You can then go back to collect it later and all being well with the translation they will issue the authorised affirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCar View Post
    To BM Caller, can you remember which company you used and how much
    T'was 6 years ago now HC, but as Keith said, by Ploenchit station, there were many, although I recall the one used was recommended from here! Time keeps moving on.

thanks very much Caller.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    I guess it depends on a number of things like how busy they are, what time you actually get to the Embassy etc. Realistically if you arrive on time into BKK its still going to take you a while to get through immigration, collect your bags and get into town. When I did mine last year I got to the Embassy for around 10.00am and handed in the affirmation. I was allowed to collect it after 14.30 the same day. I then took it to a translation office and had it back by 16.00(ish) (the translation) so no time to do anything else that day like the MFA.
    Thanks v much TM. I plan to leave the fiance and family to uplift my suitcase and I'll scoot off to the Embassy, hopefully arriving around just before 11ish.

From all the replies, I'll hopefully get time to identify and hand in my paperwork to a translation service and leave it with them to do the courier service the following day.

Fingers crossed !!

I don't think you will have enough time to do the Embassy and the MFA in the same day, but you can do the Embassy on the first day as long as you get there before 12pm. It will still be tight, are you landing from an international or domestic flight?

No expert on this stuff as married in the UK but if landing at 09.20 the BKK traffic will come into play on getting to the Embassy but good luck with the plan.

colin 244

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Fusion View Post
    I don't think you will have enough time to do the Embassy and the MFA in the same day, but you can do the Embassy on the first day as long as you get there before 12pm. It will still be tight, are you landing from an international or domestic flight?
    Landing on an international, but will have an Immigration express pass ticket from Emirates. Coupled with the fact that my partner and family can wait at the carousel for my suitcase, I can rush straight out for the fastest taxi one can find.

I know what you guys are saying about BKK traffic, but I have to give this a go so as not to waste a day if possible.

Feck knows why the homeland Thai Embassy / consulate cannot take care of this sort of stuff??

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

if the family are picking up the cases maybe you could get the train to the nearest station to the embassy to avoid the traffic, might be quicker. Once I needed to be at a hotel at a certain time and it took 2 hours to do the last km because of the traffic.

Found this:
    The much-awaited Airport Rail Link (06:00-midnight) that connects downtown Bangkok with Suvarnabhumi International Airport is a smart alternative to the airport’s express buses or taxis. The two SA Express routes can get you to the airport (or downtown) in 15-18 minutes, so rest assured that you will make it to the boarding gate right on time. The City Line makes six stops between downtown (Phayathai Station) and the airport, completing each run in 30 minutes, which is also a great option for those with little luggage and who are not in a rush.

The Airport Rail Link connects you to the MRT underground at Makkasan City Interchange Station (MRT Petchaburi Station) and the BTS Skytrain at Phayathai Station. If you travel via Thai Airways International or Bangkok Airways, you can also check in your luggage at Makkasan.

From Bangkok International Airport (Suvarnabhumi), the entrance to the Airport Rail Link service is on the First Floor.
    Last edited by jimmbo60; 5th Sep 2012 at 18:49.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it took 2 hours to do the last km because of the traffic
    Same here. Sat on the slip road exiting the expressway down town for at least 2hrs on more than one occasion

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Probably the same spot, just after Bank said traffic good

I did this. We got a taxi driver to get us to the MFA as fast as possible after the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry was signed, had the document translated at a building near to the MFA, and got to the MFA just after the deadline, but we still chanced it and they let us use the express option and we were out of there at 5pm. A long, stressful day, but certainly possible!

The city link is the best option, regular fare price, about 40 baht ish, the express is 150 baht, both will get you Phraya Thai BTS in about 30 to 40 minutes, plus to another 10 minutes on the BTS Phloen Chit.