Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Marrying to someone who was married in Thailand before

Hi all, just to share with you my situation here.
    I met my fiance (a non thai and a foreigner) 8 months ago, and before that he claimed that he had a village marriage ceremony in Thailand. But they have been separated for about a year. But what is weird is that his ex wife is still using his last name. SO my question is can a unregistered marriage couple get her last name change without the legal marriage certificates shown to the authorities?

If i want him to change her last name, what must he do?

Can anyone of you help me here?

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Hi yank, and welcome to the forum!

In Thailand, people change their names quite often. It doesn't have to be anything to do with marriage.

Having said that, it is quite often done (especially when changing a Thai surname to a foreign one) during the process of legally registering the marriage.

In answer to your question, he can't change her last name, she has to do it. So, what he must do, if it's really important that his ex changes her surname, is that he must contact her and ask her to do it.

In the eyes of the law, people who do not register their marriage with the Thai authorities, are not married.

If, by some kind of accident (possibly a person not really understanding what was going on?) the marriage is actually registered in Thailand, then he would need to get a divorce. This can be quite straight forward if both parties are in agreement, but again would involve him getting in contact with her.

What I would suggest, is that you try and find out how the name change was done. Ask your fiance how his ex went about changing her name, what processes did she go through?
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

In the eyes of the law, people who do not register their marriage with the Thai authorities, are not married.
    Does Thai law not recognize a Thai national being married in the UK ?
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Blog Entries

Yes Ian. I think biff was referring to a 'village ceremony' in Thailand. As you know that version of a "wedding" is not legally recognised in Thailand or indeed the UK ... or anywhere else in the world!
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Oh well then, thought I had discovered a 'get out of jail free card'

Only joking, back on thread............................
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

In my experience, getting a Thai lady to change her name is not the easiest thing in the world. I suspect that your fiance may be a little more than married by way of a village ceremony.

Quote Originally Posted by ian1208 View Post
    Does Thai law not recognize a Thai national being married in the UK ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Yes Ian. I think biff was referring to a 'village ceremony' in Thailand. As you know that version of a "wedding" is not legally recognised in Thailand or indeed the UK ... or anywhere else in the world!

Yes, sorry, I should have been clearer

According to Thai law, people who do not register their marriage with the relevant authorities are not married.

Any ceremony that doesn't include registration of the marriage would still satisfy the parents, friends and family of the couple, but would not prevent either party from registering another marriage with either the UK or Thai authorities.

The usual wedding ceremony in Thailand, which Tobias referred to as 'the village ceremony' does not include any paperwork at all (other than banknotes!).
    "And yet, here you are."

Rookie มือใหม่

Thank you for your reply, very much! okay, he claimed that she changed it after their so-called village ceremony. From what i know, the Thai authorities require the legal marriage certificates for thai lady to change her last name...or is it true if without the legal certificate, she can also change her last name? Yes, we are still in contact with her because their son is with her.

- - - Updated - - -

Above reply is for all who had posted here. Thank you again bifftastic and flip

The Thai authorities do not require any marriage certificates for a Thai citizen to change their name.

Name changes can be done without any reference to marriage whatsoever. It is a completely separate procedure.

During the registration of our marriage, my wife was asked if she wanted to change her name to mine. She did. It was done at the same time as our marriage registration, but was not part of it.

If she so wished, she could now go back to the Amphur (the equivalent of the Regsitry Office) and change her name to Mrs Bilbo Baggins. Her marital status would not be affected.

What I think you need to find out is exactly what took place after the village ceremony. Did your fiance go with her when she changed her name? Did he take any paperwork relating to himself with him? Did he sign anything?

If the answer to these questions is "no" then his ex has just arbitrarily changed her surname.

If the answer is "yes" then it might be the case that they actually registered their marriage, which presents a completely different, but not insurmountable, challenge!
    "And yet, here you are."

Rookie มือใหม่

Bifftastic Thank you again. So much.

[MODERATOR EDIT: The content of this post has been edited to remove the unnecessary quote of the entire previous post. Please see this topic for more information regarding use of the 'Quote' feature when posting in the forums. Thank you for your cooperation.]

Yes, if a couple married abroad, Thai Law does recognise their marriage.