Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Steve 'rolyshark' Rowlands: Funeral

A few months before he died, Steve asked a film director friend of his to make a 'death video' – Steve’s words! It was intended to be a lasting video record of his life.

As a TV director of some years, Barry J Wale and Steve agreed on a simple documentary approach and on 7th March 2009, just a few days before Steve left on his final trip to Thailand and the hardest journey, Barry interviewed Steve at his parent’s home in Matlock and at the White Lion pub, Steve’s local where he was a member of the boules and quiz teams for what was intended to be the first of a series of interviews.

It was Steve's wish to do some more filming when he returned home from Thailand and to contribute to the editing of the video that would ultimately remain on the shelf until the day of his funeral - years from now, it was hoped. Sadly, Steve died sooner than was expected and that first interview with Barry turned out to be his last.

The film was first shown at The White Lion in Matlock after Steve’s funeral on the 1st of June 2009. It was an incredibly emotional day for those of us who attended. Thailand-UK were represented by Lee & Tar, John & Nat, GTG & Lek, Mark W and Tobias & Jenny. The funeral itself was a non-religious service where heartfelt tributes were made by, and on behalf of, some of Steve’s family and close friends which included the reading of a particularly heart-wrenching note written on the back of a photograph (which was placed in Steve’s coffin) by Steve’s partner Noi.

Steve had left instructions for his funeral and those instructions were that it should be a ‘celebration’ of his life ... and that was exactly what it was. After the tributes at the crematorium the Dylan Thomas poem ‘And death shall have no dominion’ was read followed by the singing of John Hughes’ anthem, Cwm Rhondda, one of Steve’s particular favourites. It was all very moving.

But ... it was Steve who had left instructions for the funeral and in typical Steve humour the music chosen to be played as we left the crematorium was [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru7M2dLkN4A&feature=related"]YouTube - The Blues Brothers - Peter Gunn Theme[/ame]!! For much of the service I was teary but as we all left the crematorium many had a little smile on their face as we travelled to the White Lion to raise a glass or two in Steve’s honour.

The day following the funeral Jenny and I went for breakfast with Mark W. As we walked to meet Mark, we both reflected on the day before and the extreme range of emotions that we’d experienced throughout that day. We came to the conclusion, in a peculiar sort of way, that we had actually 'enjoyed' Steve’s send off. Steve's brother Mark mentioned in an email a couple of days ago that another friend had said exactly the same thing. This would certainly have been Steve's intention – a true celebration of his life.

It was only after reflecting over the last few days that it occurred to me why there was such a sense of ‘enjoyment’ ... and it was Barry’s video tribute. Many of Steve’s family and friends were all together in one place, it was all very familiar just like old times, reminiscing about the good times we’d shared with Steve, the fun we’d experienced, the discussions, the jokes and anecdotes.

And then came the video ... with Steve chatting away, at times stood at the very bar we were drinking at, it was as though my buddy was still with us ... as if Steve was actually there mingling with his friends and family. It was as though Steve was having the conversation with each of us, individually. It was like enjoying m’learned friend’s company for just one last time ... ... and for that I will be eternally grateful ...

carpe diem ...

For the Thailand-UK tribute please click: Steve Rowlands – rolyshark; for Barry J Wale’s video tribute see below.

The video tribute to Steve is a little over 45 minutes long and it can be found in this topic.
    Last edited by Tobias; 1st Aug 2011 at 11:26. Reason: Added links to the Video Tribute.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

What a beautiful video tribute to Steve. Well done Barry and his team for a first-class production. I particularly enjoyed Steve's tale of the Albanian wedding and his bodyguard story. I couldn't help but shed a tear or two during the 45 minutes, though. Plenty of laugh-out-loud moments, and a truly inspirational ending. Great job!

Tobias, thanks for sharing.
    Cliff - คลิฟฟ์

It truly was moving watching it in The White Lion (Steves local) on the day of Steves funeral (they had to have 2 showings so everyone could watch it such was the amount of people in the bar). It was just like he was still there with us.

As a permanent tribute to the big man a framed picture of Steve playing boules is to be hung on the wall near the bar.
    Mark
    ควาย

Rookie มือใหม่

Please can you put this on thaigers forum as i know
    he had a lot of friends on that forum also

yours waddy

Blog Entries

Hi waddy,

Please feel free to let members of that forum know the tribute is here and that they are more than welcome to join the forum to access it. We must however respect the wish that the video (and link) is not uploaded on to any other site. I hope you understand.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Rookie มือใหม่

Thanks Tobias put a link to this site on their

thanks again waddy

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi to all:

My site (www.barryjwale.com) is currently down owing to a 'bandwidth' problem. I have to say that I never expected so many visitors in such a short time, and this of course is the reason my site is telling me I have reached the maximum bandwidth.

I'm having to pay the extra to get an unlimited bandwidth, so this should be up and running within the next 24 hours.

I'll post again as soon as the site is working

BJ

Blog Entries

No problem waddy.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Barry,

Is there a way for people to save this file if they don't have quick time pro?

I was unable to when I tried.

Thanks
    Lee
    Lee

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Lee:

I thought standard Quicktime allows you to save videos as well. I guess I've always had Pro so I've taken this facility for granted. Maybe I can get a DVD to the forum, so you can copy and burn your own discs. I'm sure others will want one too.

The site is still down. Hopefully it will be back up this evening.

All the best

Barry (BJ)

I would like to keep a hard copy Barry.

If I had such a copy, I could create a password protected torrent to share with others who also wanted to download the file.

Should help your bandwidth also.

Cheers
    Lee
    Lee

Rookie มือใหม่

Site back up with unlimited bandwidth!

poignant, inspiring, sad, funny, brave, memorable.

Makes you regret not knowing the guy better (only met Steve up in the lakes last year).

Thank you for sharing.
    'Tis me

BJ,
    Barry,

Is there a way for people to save this file if they don't have quick time pro?

I was unable to when I tried.

Thanks
    Lee
    Same for me too. Dave.

If anyone would like to save a copy of the video on their computer then just send me a PM.

Lee
    Lee

Member สมาชิก
    Stone Staffordshire. Phaisan, Prakhonchai

Thanks for the link, after down loading latest Quicktime got it to work.

I am glad I have my own separate office, as other than the odd phone call I was able to watch the video.

It was an honour and privilege to watch this video of Steve, I cannot deny the eyes did fill with water. I hope it inspires others to help and assist and support others as he has done throughout his life, and to be brave in adversity.

Thank you for sharing.

Roland, Yao and Dae

Lee, I also thank you for giving me the link. An inspiring video.

Given that I use the Ubuntu operating system, viewing an MP4 video could have been a bit of a challenge. However anyone facing the same situation should use Xine, which has the capability to cope with MP4 files.
    John

Blog Entries

The video can also be downloaded using the free version of RealPlayer.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Member สมาชิก

I didn't know Steve,but after watching his moving video I feel like I've known him since childhood.
    Rest In Peace Steve.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Callum View Post
    I didn't know Steve,but after watching his moving video I feel like I've known him since childhood.
    Rest In Peace Steve.
    I only just watched it as ISP not fast enough before. Very moving.