Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Blog Entries

Default UK To Open Embassy In Laos

"The governments of Laos and the United Kingdom have agreed to open embassies in each other’s capital city in the near future.

An official from the Lao Ministry of Foreign Affairs told the Vientiane Times yesterday that the UK embassy to Laos is expected to open early next month during the 9th Asia-Europe Meeting Summit scheduled for November 5-6.

Former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said he believes the two embassies will serve to further consolidate the sound bilateral relations between the two countries.

Mr Blair spoke to the Vientiane Times on Monday after meeting with several high-ranking Lao officials, including Prime Minister Thongsing Thammavong, during a visit to Laos that ended on the same day.

Asked if investments and trade volume between the two countries would increase, despite little trade in recent years, Mr Blair said there are opportunities for trade and commercial relations between the UK and Laos. “This is a country with great potential. It’s got a great future and has come a long way in the last two or three decades. Laos is just about to join the World Trade Organisation (WTO), which is very important for you and I think it is a big opportunity,” he said.

It was reported on Monday that Laos will be accepted as a member of the WTO by the end of this month provided the country’s report is approved by the body’s General Council when it meets on October 26. Once endorsed, the Lao National Assembly will ratify all related documents in December, followed by a final 30 day wait, after which Laos will become a full WTO member.

When he visited Prime Minister Thongsing Thammavong on Monday, the premier and Mr Blair discussed ways to deepen bilateral relations and cooperation in socio-economic development, trade, investment and sustainable development between the two nations, according to a press release from the Lao Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The ministry said Mr Blair’s visit to Laos was significant in deepening relations and cooperation between Laos and the UK. Mr Blair is on a tour of several countries in Asia.
    Laos and the UK established diplomatic relations on September 5, 1955. The UK embassy to Laos is now based in Bangkok, Thailand"

http://www.vientianetimes.org.la/Fre...s_UK%20to.html

Good news for those with Laos partners for visas etc but who does Blair (with his sick grinning) think he is swanning round the world giving his opinions to all that will listen and no doubt it is all paid for by someone else while he lines his pockets

colin 244

Sounds to me as if he's working in a de-facto role for the UK, I haven't a problem with that, we may sneer in the UK, its what we do, many in the World will perceive him differently.