Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Default I would like to employ a Thai who is now in Thailand

As my post title says, I would like to employ a Thai who I've been in touch with in Thailand. It would be for an eating establishment but not a Thai one. In fact, it's more a specialized Chinese concept and I know of a guy in Bangkok who would be willing to come here and help me set this up. It would be for around 6 months. However, I've no idea how to go about this and in fact, I'm sure I read somewhere that it's quite difficult to recruit chefs etc from Thailand and indeed elsewhere at the moment. Could somebody give me some advice/pointers? I would be grateful for any replies.

You cannot employ him without going through 'hoops'.

Very clear and concise conditions on the gov.uk website

If you do not want to employ him, it may be possible for him to obtain a business visa to come to the UK but he/you would need to set up companies.

You cannot pay him or employ him during his visit though.
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Member สมาชิก

Thanks ian1208 for the reply. I've been looking at it and it looks like he would have to get a Tier 2 Visa. And from what I read there is a limit of 20,700 for this financial year of people being paid less than £150,000. It looks very difficult to now get into the UK and almost impossible for the purpose of what I had in mind.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

You need to apply to be a sponsored licensed holder through UKBA. One of the criteria is that bringing this person into the UK will not displace a settled person from obtaining this role ie this person has unique skills that cannot be sourced locally by a settled UK person. If its a chef you are recruiting, they need to prove at least 5 years experience in this field, and then.....get this....you need to pay them £28,250 minumum salary !!

Member สมาชิก

Thanks for that and yes I did see that figure quoted on the government web site. I wonder if that's a pro-rate figure as I think I would only need this guy for around 6 months. In fact, he was the one who mentioned that time-scale.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Yes its a pro-rata annual rate.
    Obviously there could be ways of getting around it, but perhaps underhand i.e. Salary shown on payslip then the persons pays you for subsitence/rent/meals/transport etc which would bring it back to what would be expected to pay for this salary in that role. You'll still be out of pocket for NI and Tax contributions on PAYE at the £28,500 rate.

You also have the sponsor license fees application and their visa application to factor in.