Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default help with a thai family member visiting uk from denmark

My wife's mother lives in denmark and has done for many years, she is married to a danish national and she has ( i think) a leave to remain visa for denmark ( or whatever their equivalent is ).
    she has visited us 3 previous times here in the u.k and always paid a fee for her visa application each time , she
    was told in denmark when enquiring about applying for a forthcoming application that seeing as she would be
    travelling with her danish husband to visit the u.k that there would be no visa fee payable? she was told she
    would be exempt .has anyone experienced any family or friends visiting the u.k from europe being told similar?
    when we tried to process her visa application online a few days back , we didnt find any exemptions to paying
    available ? and when we got to the end of the online process a fee of over 300 euro's cropped up ( we are sure
    last time it was only about 60-80 euro's). i know i am talking about denmark here but just thought maybe
    somebody had experience of any visa fee exemptions.( her danish husband is about 75 now and this is all over
    his head in case you were wondering)

thanks,
    neill

See: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...y/index_en.htm

I very much doubt that a fee is payable for a visit - remember the family members of an EU Citizen can come to live in the UK without paying for a visa on an EEA Family Permit so it would be strange if there was a fee for a visit.

However, my take on the content in that link is that it hinges on proof that the person is a genuine family member of an EU Citizen and it seems that the form of proof required is a residence card. The web page does however go on to state (in Arriving at the border without a visa) that the traveller should be allowed to prove by any means that they are the family member of an EU Citizen and if they do, they should be allowed entry.

You'd be well advised to find out exactly what her immigration status in Denmark is and also pay attention to the section that states you should contact the embassy of the country you wish to visit (in this case not you, your MIL) to find out what documents are required. I'd think the easiest route is for you to call the UKBA and ask.

As long as she is travelling with her Danish husband then she needs to apply for an EEA Family Permit and not a UK visit visa. There is no fee for an EEA family permit.

Link: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eu...rmit/applying/

There is absolutely no requirement for your MIL to contact the British Embassy in Denmark, everything should be done online.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

'To avoid problems, contact the consulate or embassy of the country to which you are travelling well in advance to find out which documents your non-EU family member will be asked to present at the border. Be aware that some countries may fail to apply EU law correctly and your non-EU family members may be denied some of their rights, as described here.'

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...y/index_en.htm

Given the 'flexibility' that seems to exist at some UKBA offices, I don't see any harm in following the above advice - especially when you consider that the requirements for an EEA Family Permit seem to be far more than EU law requires. Typical of the UK - wants to be part of the EU (not me) but doesn't follow its spirit.

With respect Keith, you can never completely trust an online application, especially if VFS are involved - not sure they are in this case. During a recent Schengen application for my wife, we were asked to provide my income details and provide proof of where we were staying - VFS were adamant about this. The rules clearly state (and the German Embassy confirmed) that this is not a requirement for the spouse of a UK national - clear as mud - I'd make the phone call.
    Last edited by Flip; 23rd Dec 2012 at 09:57.

Well that totally contradicts the instructions from the UKBA. As it's the UKBA to whom the applicant will be applying I know which one I'd go with.

Flip, reading that link further it looks like that advise only applies to folks trying to gain entry with just a Residence Permit. As the OP's MIL will need to apply for an EEA family permit in advance that advice dosen't apply here.

- - - Updated - - -

Flip, the VFS aren't involved and the advice you are giving is just plain wrong.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

The advice I am giving is not 'plain wrong' - it is from the Europa website. A non EU citizen can apply for an EEA Family Permit but according to the Europa website all they have to do is prove they are family member of an EU citizen.

Whilst I agree that an EEA Family Permit seems the way to go, to say I am giving out wrong advice is incorrect. How do you know VFS are not involved? Because it says UKBA on the online application page? Check out the signage on VFS offices in Bangkok. I suspect that VFS will deal with the initial checking of the online application whether you know it or not - just as they do in the majority of other cases.

Should you wish to 'shoot me down in flames' Keith, please do so with some substance - the OP has not stated which route he wishes to take and indeed does not even know the immigration status of his MIL. He has a choice - neither is wrong.

The person who requires a visa is a resident in DENMARK not Thailand. So where do the VFS get involved ??????

The UKBA website is very clear regarding how the application should proceed. Which in this case is via the online site Visa4UK.
    Last edited by -Keith-; 23rd Dec 2012 at 12:37.

VFS act for the UKBA in many locations worldwide including the UK. They also act for the embassies of many other countries. They may or may not be involved in this case.

To the OP, best of luck with your online application - I tried the system several times and despite a clear reference to an EEA Family permit, each time the links took me to an online visa application which is not what you want. The only clear link was the paper EEA application but the UKBA site states that those living in Denmark should make their applications online.

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Given the lack of clear information, I would suggest that the OP call the British Embassy in Denmark

http://ukindenmark.fco.gov.uk/en/abo...en/contact-us/
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

There is no need to call anyone, use the link below.

http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/ApplyNow.aspx

Click: Apply for Visa

Fill in the pop up box with your email address and password for future access.

At the type of visa select the following:

Type of visa: Other

Purpose of Application: EEA/Swiss Family Member

Type of Application: Family Member of EEA National

The correct form will then be displayed.

Hope this helps.

My apologies - after re-reading the rules from the Europa website it would appear that the lady does indeed does need a visa.

The part I had failed to notice is:

• they are travelling with you or travelling to join you and have a residence card issued by any EU country (except the country you are a national of).

Note the part in brackets - clearly if this lady has a residence card it will have been issued by the Danish authorities.

No sweat Flip. I wasn't trying to make you look small, just trying to ensure the OP had the correct info. Merry Xmas mate.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    VFS act for the UKBA in many locations worldwide including the UK. They also act for the embassies of many other countries. They may or may not be involved in this case
    Have to agree with filp on this, in my experience UKBA use the VFS in lots of locations.

Mick.
    Nec Aspera Terrent