Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Premium Member

Default A Jolly Nice Stew on EVA !!

On the outbound flight from LHR to BKK the inflight meals were truly awful. So bad infact i have wiped them from the anals of my memory. Plus i'd had several pints in the T3 bar beforehand so my memory wouldn't have been too good anyway.

Obviously these meals were produced in Britain (??)

Things were altogether different however on the return journey. Whether the food was prepared in Taiwan or Thailand i'm not sure but my lunch was a mighty fine Pork Stew - as the lovely Taiwanese hostess described it.

I'd have called it a Casserole myself but that's just me being a snob or maybe it's called Stew in Economy and Casserole in the posh seats ?

Any road up, it was Jolly Nice, with fluffy mashed potato, peas and carrots. It made a nice change from Khao Pad Moo etc.

eva lunch.jpg

Later on, which was a bit strange as it was now 5pm ish UK time we were served a breakfast consisting of Omelette, Tomato and Sausage. Not great but i ate it anyway.

eva breakfast.jpg

Wolfy
    Airline Food Correspondent, T-UK.

What brew do they serve on EVA ?
    aka Spud / aka MF

Premium Member

didn't mean to thank you for your post as its just a question after all - i just hit the wrong button !. No idea what the beer was.. After drinking gassy Thai lager beers for 4 weeks I only had Wine on board.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I love stuffing my face with the grub on the planes, helps pass the time, luckily the wife doesnt really eat bread or cheese and pretty is fussy, so I usually get most of hers. We then almost every time have some grub (as she hasnt really eaten on the plane) in the middle east either abu dabi or dubai (we fly from manc so easy to stop halfway) and then back on the plane to eat again, last time we even had a few pints and a bit of grub in the bar at manchester airport, reckon I must have put half a stone on just from the flights!

Suppose it doesnt really help me being excited like a child and generally greedy, no wonder I can shift any weight.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
    On the outbound flight from LHR to BKK the inflight meals were truly awful. So bad infact i have wiped them from the anals of my memory. Plus i'd had several pints in the T3 bar beforehand so my memory wouldn't have been too good anyway.

Obviously these meals were produced in Britain (??).
    I hope you meant annals of history , or was it really that bad that you wiped it from the anal's of memory ?? 5555555555555555555555555555555555

Premium Member

The rather plump Taiwanese girl sitting next to me on the plane must Have thought I was some sort of nutcase taking pictures of omelettes and things. She certainly gave me a couple of strange looks.

ha ha my mrs loves taking pics of the grub she tucks away. not sure we are going to get away this year, may be 2014 before we go back, few things going on, just moved house and need the cash to sort the place out. Gutted though, nothing better than chilling out with a few leo's.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
    I only had Wine on board.
    Thai appear to have stopped serving wine.
    aka Spud / aka MF

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์ the_link's Avatar

What happened with your phone sim after it consumed a month's worth of credit in thirty-seconds, Wolfy?

Premium Member

I had a Shrek moment with a bloke in the True Move store. I hit him so hard he was on the ground before he had time to apologise for sniggering at me.

Nah. I did complain that I had been sold the wrong package but there was nothing he could do - it was the bloke in 7 eleven's fault.

I switched to Happy dtac in the end. Put 300 baht on the card and phoned customer services who signed me up to their internet package, 213 baht for a week unlimited access. I also paid a few baht on my last day to keep the phone number for 12 months so I can put the SIM in next time I go and Bobs your uncle.

Nice one, hadnt realised you can keep thesim for 12 months, its a pain getting a new one every time...

My wife's dtac sim can be extended in the same way and costs 2 baht for each month added.

My dtac sim extends for another year each time I top up but they don't sell this package anymore. Now I've got a smartphone I'll go to dtac shop in Central Plaza next month and get a similar deal to yours. Doesn't sound too bad. I take it they're selling iPhone 5 sims now, Wolfy?

Premium Member

I got a micro SIM for my Samsung S3.

You are right about the packages nowadays. The SIM I got for 49 baht is called a tourist SIM and only lasts for 3 months irrespective of how much credit you load on to it.

My SIM was valid until mid March so I paid 18 baht to extend it to December.

Another mate on holiday in Thailand bought a True Move SIM, topped it up with 100 baht and received a message saying his credit was valid for 12 months.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Tone - Wife's old man just got a new SIM for iPhone, 300 bht a month (not contract) - dunno if that's good or not ?
    (Hmm seems I'm the only one without a flash phone in my extended family !)

Has he got an iPhone 5, Nic? Would be interested to know what provider and what you get for 300 baht.

Though, do prefer dtac as never had any problem with them.

Pork stew looks pretty decent. We thought the same about the food on EVA when we used them a couple of years ago. Outbound: Inedible (and I'm one of those who eats everything served up to them on an airplane ). Inbound: quite tasty. Maybe an idea to fire off emails to EVA about this.

Yeah, DTAC all the way for us. Didn't know about the cheap internet package nor the phone number retention service for a nominal fee. The power of thailand-uk.com .

Quote Originally Posted by Scally View Post
    hadnt realised you can keep thesim for 12 months, its a pain getting a new one every time...
    Likewise although wifey always swipes the sim on my departure as it usually has more credit on it than hers

colin 244

- - - Updated - - -

Back on topic however, on my recent Etihad flight (£535 and TG was £700) I had a very nice beef casserole outbound LHR with the mash and peas/carrots which looked similar to Wolfys "mighty fine pork stew" however on the AUH/BKK leg got something called Arabian something fish with something which was awful.

What amazes me on long haul flights though is the crackers (for your cheese) almost always Jacobs regardless of airline (both outbound and inbound) and the soft cheese will almost certainly be dairylea or laughing cow. Also why is the breakfast yoghourt always strawberry? (I'm allergic to strawberrys)
    Beer on board Etihad was Heinekin/Fosters/Kronenbourg1664.

colin

PS The sausage in your breakfast pic looks a funny colour Mr Wolf.
    Last edited by colin244; 6th Jan 2013 at 00:13.

Quote Originally Posted by colin244 View Post
    PS The sausage in your breakfast pic looks a funny colour Mr Wolf.
    It was and it was so bad even I didn't eat it (or the omelette).
    Amazingly Nok nicked my sausage!

Wolfy you've clearly become Thai whilst you were away.

http://thailand-uk.com/forums/showth...ht=food+photos

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Mrs Tastic refuses to eat airline food. On her first flight she did eat it and complained that 'kee mai ork' for the next three days!

The last flight I took was with Gulf and the food wasn't great.

Next month I think it will be Jet again for me, always liked their food. Shame I won't be travelling with the Mrs, I'd get double helpings!
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."