Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Blog Entries

Default Family visitor or General visitor visa

A little advice please on this topic.

I want my girlfriend to visit me in the UK for the 6 month max visa. We have been together for two & a half years and have a son together, who would be eligible for a UK passport (he is 1 year old). So in your opinion would a family visa be better suited for such an application. My query is raised through the following criteria as stated on the UKBA site;

To come to the UK as a family visitor, you must be able to show that you will be visiting the following family members in the UK:

• spouse, civil partner, father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister;
    • grandfather, grandmother, grandson or granddaughter;
    • spouse or civil partner's father, mother, brother or sister;
    • son or daughter's spouse or civil partner;
    • stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother or stepsister; or
    • a person you have been living with in a genuine and subsisting relationship, like marriage or civil partnership, for at least 2 years before the day you apply.

Under these circumstances, i'm not sure she qualifies as a spouse nor have we been "living with in a genuine and subsisting relationship". I visit twice a year and provide financial support for them.

Any advice is welcome,

Cheers Ally
    "Don't buy the sun"

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Ally, although you feel like a family, and in my opinion you are, I don't think a Family Visit Visa covers your relationship.

As you say, you haven't been living together. So I think a General Visit Visa is the right way to go at the moment.

You should, of course, explain your situation regarding your relationship, and your son. To all intents and purposes (other than the name of the visa) the application will be exactly the same.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Blog Entries

Although defined here under 'Settlement', If the same definition of 'spouse' applies to a visitor or family visa, you wouldn't be considered as your girlfriends spouse (she is applying, so you would be the 'spouse' she is visiting). Assuming you are shown as the father on your son's birth certificate, he would have no problem qualifying as he'd be visiting his father.

Similarly, the 'genuine and subsisting relationship' might prove difficult as although you presumably fulfil most of the criteria, you are meant to be able to show that you 'are living together with your partner'. Two visits a year might not be enough?

If you apply for a visit visa and can show proof of the circumstances you've outlined in your post (plus of course the old chestnut of 'reason to return'), I'd imagine a vv shouldn't be to difficult to get. That's how I see it. If I've made incorrect assumptions, others here will put it straight. Good luck.
    Last edited by Phetchy; 19th Jan 2013 at 02:50. Reason: Crossed in the post with Biff - he types faster than I do.

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phetchy View Post
    Assuming you are shown as the father on your son's birth certificate, he would have no problem qualifying as he'd be visiting his father.
    He wouldn't have to qualify for anything Petch, he's British.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."