Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default UK Passport for my son, born in Thailand...HELP

Hi again everybody, happy new year! Im looking into getting a UK passport for my 8 month old son, who was born in thailand.He is there now with his mum (my wife). I have his birth certificate (thai language) and wedding documentation (again in thai)..i am noted on all the relevant documentation as his father etc......

.....does anybody know how i would go about applying for his passport? can i do it from here? what documentation EXACTLY do i need? Where do i need to go? I have looked through a few related threads but theres so much conflicting advice and the situations slightly differ from mine, i thought it would be easier to start a new one.
    ANY HELP as always is greatly appreciated!

BIG THANKYOU for all those who helped me in september, i survived my night in Bangkok and managed to get all the marriage documentation sorted.Cheers guys!

We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Thanks vinny but im currently in the U.k and wanted to do it from here. I have to say the government website is a pain in the backside.......i just cant find the answer im looking for! Has anybody been in this situation before? if so, please reply if you have time.Dan

Blog Entries

Ok I am doing the very same thing right now. So maybe I can help a little bit. The process itself is relatively straight forward, however like you I am here in the UK and they are over in Thailand. This makes it a little awkward but not impossible, just takes a bit longer i guess. Do not worry if you do not have a 'consular birth registration' this is not required for the process but if you do can be used in support of the application (i don't have one).

For starters this is the How to apply from Thailand (First time applications) page.

The application HAS to be made from Thailand and passport returned to Thailand as your child is resident there. They strictly state that passports will not be sent to the UK.

I have opted to complete the online form aptly named OL also included on this page are the notes to help complete the application.

Problem for me at present is the counter signature. She does not know a UK citizen, or Thai who is a lawyer, doctor, Police, teacher and so on. There is a get out to this and it involves an explanatory letter. See link to counter signatures

Once completed, print it off SIGN it, and send it to Thailand. The mother will then have to sign the form as well as a counter signature. The whole completed package can then be sent to Hong Kong for processing.

Documentation required;

If the child was : Born outside the UK
    You must include:

• The child's travel document (if applicable); AND
    • The child's original registration certificate from the Home Office; OR
    • The child's original consular birth certificate; OR
    • The child’s full foreign birth certificate and the mother’s original UK long version birth certificate or original naturalisation/registration certificate; or the father’s original UK long version birth certificate or original naturalisation/registration certificate, and if the father only was a British Citizen at the time of the child’s birth and not the mother and the child was born before 1 July 2006 the parents’ marriage certificate must be provided – if the child was born after 30 June 2006 the father’s details must appear on the child’s birth certificate; AND
    • Original Deed Poll/Statutory Declaration if the child’s name has been changed since birth, together with 3 original forms of identification in the child’s new name; AND
    • Copy of parents' passports.

The mother also has to provide a declaration and the following is detailed on the 'Passports for children under 16' page;

We suggest that the mother provide a photocopy of her passport or photographic ID, including the following text: “ I , ----------------, as mother of the minor -----------, give my consent to the issue of a UK passport to him/her ”. This should then be signed and dated and included with the passport application.
    Off the top of my head i think that's about it. If i have missed anyting out i'm sure someone here will add to this post. Good luck and let us know how you get on.... I trying to find a counter signature, wish me luck.....

Ally
    Last edited by Ally; 20th Jan 2013 at 12:25. Reason: spelling
    "Don't buy the sun"

^ from your own link on countersignatures:

For a child's application, the counter signatory should be someone who has known the parent or guardian for at least two years.

they don't need to know the child at all. I haven't got a form with me but I'm fairly sure the wording of the countersignature makes this clear. Failing that, I'm sure you could find a policeman, monk, doctor, village elder etc. who would sign.

Blog Entries

Thanks BigRed

The following is the official line

Someone who has known you personally for at least two years should complete and sign and endorse the passport application form and passport photographs. That person should be a British Citizen, Irish, EU or Commonwealth citizen who is a Member of Parliament, Justice of the Peace, Minister of Religion, Bank Officer, Established Civil Servant, or professionally qualified person, e.g. Lawyer, Engineer, Doctor, School Teacher, Police Officer or a person of similar standing who has known you for at least two years.
    Followed by the alternative
    If you do not know a British national or other Commonwealth citizen locally with these qualifications, a citizen of the country in which you are residing may complete and sign the form, provided they have a similar standing in that country and has known you for two years. In certain cases you may be asked to produce further documentary evidence of identity.
    If you are unable to provide a counter signature, because you have recently moved to the country of application or are short-term visitors, provided our consular staff have no doubts regarding your identity you may not need to provide a counter signature. Proof of identity may include your previous passport bearing a photograph showing that you are clearly the same person, or any other photographic ID may be acceptable.
    Ally
    Last edited by Ally; 20th Jan 2013 at 14:40. Reason: formatting
    "Don't buy the sun"

and that is followed in the very next sentence with:

For a child's application, the counter signatory should be someone who has known the parent or guardian for at least two years.

A better link than your is https://www.gov.uk/who-can-sign-pass...e-applications

which says:

If the form is for a child passport, the countersignatory should know the person who signs the declaration at section 9 rather than the child.

it also says:

Countersignatories must work in a recognised profession or be ‘a person of good standing in their community’, eg:

• accountant
    • airline pilot
    • articled clerk of a limited company
    • assurance agent of recognised company
    • bank/building society official
    • barrister
    • chairman/director of limited company
    • chiropodist
    • commissioner of oaths
    • councillor (local or county)
    • civil servant (permanent), but not someone who works for IPS
    • dentist
    • director/manager of a VAT-registered charity
    • director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
    • engineer (with professional qualifications)
    • financial services intermediary (eg a stockbroker or insurance broker)
    • fire service official
    • funeral director
    • insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
    • journalist
    • Justice of the Peace
    • legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
    • licensee of public house
    • local government officer
    • manager/personnel officer (of a limited company)
    • member, associate or fellow of a professional body
    • Member of Parliament
    • Merchant Navy officer
    • minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)
    • nurse (RGN and RMN)
    • officer of the armed services (active or retired)
    • optician
    • paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals)
    • person with honours (an OBE or MBE, for example)
    • pharmacist
    • photographer (professional)
    • police officer
    • Post Office official
    • president/secretary of a recognised organisation
    • Salvation Army officer
    • social worker
    • solicitor
    • surveyor
    • teacher, lecturer
    • trade union officer
    • travel agent (qualified)
    • valuer or auctioneer (fellows and associate members of the incorporated society)
    • Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

Blog Entries

Thanks BigRed

This is the tricky part if you (i mean for the mother) don't know someone in this category

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
    and that is followed in the very next sentence with:
    ....... Countersignatories must work in a recognised profession or be ‘a person of good standing in their community’, eg:
    Next option might be to send the photos to the UK, get them signed here and i send the whole package off to Hong Kong. This is a slower option though.

Ally
    "Don't buy the sun"

They don't have to know you well, just have known you for more than 2 years. There must be village Head Man, Monk, Doctor, Nurse, shop owner, local school teacher or someone of good standing who is prepared to sign for her. No doubt a 'donation' to the temple, school etc. would help. I assume the mother is in Thailand and was brought up there, even if she has lived in England for a while she must know her old teachers etc.

I suspect it may be a case of leaving it all up to you to sort out instead of making an effort herself.

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Kamnan or Pu Yai Baan would be the obvious choice in Thailand, I think.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Blog Entries

Cheers BigRed,

Not a big roblem. She lives in BKK and teachers, suitable signatures etc are up in out Korat. Don't want to balls it up first time (cost not recoverable for failed applications) so for ease and piece of mind i think i'll conduct the collation / sending of documents/application etc.

DANANDBEE, hope i haven't hijacked your thread, and hope some of this chat helps.

Ally
    "Don't buy the sun"

I'm sure Dan will find your questions, and the answers, very useful Ally.

"And yet, here you are."

Member สมาชิก

We had a problem getting my passport last week at the embassy, had everything as above and more only to be told they need my original uk passport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im in the UK, are the staff there completely stupid? Also wanted payment in cash, not the form with your credit card number on it - thats twice my wife has been messed about at the embassy and two wasted taxi fares. The first time she went in the afternoon only to be told they can only process passports in the morning!!!!

Sorry, I don't understand. You were trying to get your passport from the British Embassy in Bangkok, but you (and your passport?) are in the UK?
    "And yet, here you are."

Member สมาชิก

No a passport for my son to travel to the uk without a visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    We had a problem getting my passport last week
    Ok, so it was your son's passport, not yours?
    "And yet, here you are."

Member สมาชิก

Yes, my son's, sorry.