Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Default Holiday Koh Tao and Koh Pangan

Hi All
    We have recently returned from our delayed trip to the above islands. We traveled by car down to Chumphon then took the Lomprahah ferry to Koh Tao. On the way we tried to get into Won Kon National park for a quick nose around but they would not let me in at the thai rate so we didn't bother, its a sea national park south of Prachuap Kirikhan. We went down the next road to the beach and found a place called Nishaville which is a holiday village set on a wonderful beach they have low level condo's, beach villa's and various other properties scattered near the beach unfortunately the prices were high starting around 5 mill baht for the condo and 10 mill for the villas more for the ones on beachfront, way out of our price bracket, worth a look though if anyone driving that way, see how the other half live.
    Anyway on to Chumphon we had to catch the afternoon ferry as the morning one was full best to book in advance it appears. We spent the night at a small resort on a beach near the ferry not the best beach but there were nicer ones further south though the water in the area seems a little muddy.

The ferry trip went well and we were met by our resort who took us there (Koh Tao Resort) the place was nice with an infinity pool looking across the bay. The resort was a little expensive as there was no breakfast at over 1500 baht I expect one, but everything else was nice. We hired a boat one day and traveled around the island staying at various beaches and doing a lot of snorkelling as Koh Tao is famous for its reefs and fish, it didn't disappoint. We went to Koh Nang Yuan an iconic group of three islands famous in Thailand which is very beautiful and climbed the path to the viewpoint like most people do. An Aussie guy I was talking too said it was the most beautiful place he had ever been, we certainly liked it too.

After three nights in Koh Tao we got back on the ferry and made for Koh Pangan staying at the Haad Yao bay view beach resort. This place we had to pay for our transport there. Its a very large resort at the end of a fine sandy bay but the sea isn't so good for swimming due to the reef its really only possible to swim at high tide, fortunately the hotel had a good pool.
    The resort is large (too large) and the restaurant somewhat expensive and too European not enough thai food for us (good included breakfast though), we found a place we liked further along the beach, which did great thai food at reasonable prices.(for the islands). Its quite difficult to get around on Pangan with expensive taxis or hiring motorbikes the roads are not good and if I ever return we will bring our truck on the car ferry and see more of the island, its smaller than Samui but harder to get around and see things. Unfortunately our time here was spoilt by my wife leaving her wallet in the room whilst we had breakfast, on our return there was 4000 baht missing and as the room had been made up during our short stay away we put the blame on the maids, however the resort didn't really want to know and we ended up having to put it down to experience. We will not return to this hotel though. A shame though as most things we liked about the island and would like to return. During our stay there was a full moon party but we didn't go as we have a five year old we were also at the opposite side of the island. All in all this island is much more relaxing than Samui and not so spoilt but in the end we preferred our stay at Koh Tao more.

Got to wait another year now for the next holiday unless we find the cash for a few nights again at Koh Chang.

Regards
    David

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

My parents recently experienced the Maids light fingered antics in Hua Hin (£150) as well as a Swedish couple (£450) staying in the same hotel, they kicked up a hell of a stink went to Police (they were useless except when pestered by the Swedes for a Police Report for Insurance)), the key seems to have been threatening to distribute the news on Tripadvisor - 5000 baht returned to my folks by the manager.

The fact that they'd broken locks off the Swedish couples suitcases to gain access is a little worrying, my parents were more blasé as they stay at the same hotel every year so although the money was hidden it probably wasn't hidden as best as it could be (no safes at the hotel).

Nice review of Ko Tao and Phanghan DAS.....never made it myself to Ko Tao, I figured its mainly for Diving - went to Phanghan 20 yrs ago guess it would be interesting to go back some day.

Wifey once told me if you leave 50THB out for the maid they won't steal anything from your bags

Good report though.

colin 244

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

If you leave any money out, its gone.

Certainly hasn't been the case where I have stayed.

I don't tend to carry coins with me when I go out and if I get any during the day/evening I just dump them all in the ashtray when I get in the room.

All left there for days on end and none has disappeared so far.
    Must be some dodgy place you stay at jimmbo
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Far from dodgy they just think it's a tip.