Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Default What options are available after a visit visa ?

Hello Again,

I had some great advice on this site whilst applying for my girlfriends visit visa, so thought i would come back again to ask a few questions about what happens after so here goes.

My girlfriend is currently in the U.K living with me on a visit visa, we are going back to thailand together in November in which she will then be staying there as her visa expires in December. My questions is what options do i now have with regards to future visa's for me and my girlfriend ? She has enjoyed it in the U.K and is wanting to come back as soon as possible. 6 month visit visa for all the paperwork required is just not long enough and also when i am away with work which is pretty often, my girlfriend says she gets really bored doing nothing and says she wants too work. What visa's permit my girlfriend to get a job here in the U.K other than getting married and getting a spouse visa which i dont think is a good idea to do just to get a visa.

So what else is available to me ? Would we be able to get a longer visit visa but also a work permit ?

Thanks in advance i look forward to hearing some of your feedback.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo-13 View Post
    What visa's permit my girlfriend to get a job here in the U.K other than getting married and getting a spouse visa which i dont think is a good idea to do just to get a visa.

So what else is available to me ? Would we be able to get a longer visit visa but also a work permit ?

Thanks in advance i look forward to hearing some of your feedback.
    Err...none, unless she's highly-skilled, gets a company transfer or earns over £152k

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ation/working/

Only real option is to apply for a student visa.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ts/conditions/

Nick

What work can she do ?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Boydio's Avatar

As prioritypress has said, your options are limited, unless under fairly exceptional circumstances.

It all depends what your view is on getting married. A six month visit is quite a long time, as I don't think the paperwork is too onerous. That being said, working isn't an option, without a settlement visa, understandably, in my view.

Member สมาชิก

Thanks for the replies, she dont have any professional qualifications if that is whats being asked linne. She would just be doing a normal work in a shop or restuarant. I work offshore on a 4 week on 4 week off rotation so although 6 months is a long time in my circumstances it means only 3 month together also more reason for her to want to work as when im away her activities are pretty limited.

We have spoken about marriage but we are both still young and me personally dont want to get married just to obtain a visa. Was just wondering if there was anything else out there.

Was just wondering if there was anything else out there.
    A student visa is a possibility but it is what it says on the tin and UKBA despite their short comings have seen most things before and wary of folk abusing the system.
    Do some reading and decide if its really what she wants.

If you work off shore then maybe you could set up home for your on shore time elsewhere in Europe.

Sadly there are no magic bullets.

Are you in the oil/gas industry ?

Ok I am in this very same situation

This is from the UK BA site

"This section explains whether and how you can come to or remain in the UK if you are the partner of a British citizen or a person who is settled here. A partner includes husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner."
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...led/spouse-cp/

I thought you could apply for 2 years 3 month (Is it The Right to remain visa?) visa even if you are not married?

Maybe this is an odd way of looking at it but we are the same as a gay couple who can not marry, the difference we are choosing not to marry.

The rules can not be seen to be, denying the right of a visa to un-married couples, same sex or not. It is a human right of anyone on this planet, to live where ever they want, provided they comply to the rules! (oops i think i just got on my high horse ! Sorry for that )
    Last edited by Nitro; 17th Sep 2013 at 21:28.

nitro I clicked the like in error but do not take offense. The issue is getting enough evidence to indicate that you are a partner. I wish you well with that idea.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    Ok I am in this very same situation

This is from the UK BA site

"This section explains whether and how you can come to or remain in the UK if you are the partner of a British citizen or a person who is settled here. A partner includes husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried or same-sex partner."
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...led/spouse-cp/

I thought you could apply for 2 years 3 month (Is it The Right to remain visa?) visa even if you are not married?

Maybe this is an odd way of looking at it but we are the same as a gay couple who can not marry, the difference we are choosing not to marry.

The rules can not be seen to be, denying the right of a visa to un-married couples, same sex or not. It is a human right of anyone on this planet, to live where ever they want, provided they comply to the rules! (oops i think i just got on my high horse ! Sorry for that )
    I've got no idea what point are trying to make?

Yes, someone can come here as an "unmarried partner" - if they have been in a "relationship akin to marriage" for two years...ie physically living together as partners/man and wife....which the OP hasn't.

Your "human rights" are "qualified" with regards to immigration matters...ie it all depends on the government's immigration rules!

So what point are you trying to make? Do you live with your partner? If like the OP you are in a part-time or long distance relationship...the advice is the same as above.

Marriage or student visas.

Nick

Member สมาชิก

Hi Linne,

Yes i work oil and gas but currently in renewables working on wind farms still a month at a time away from home. If i was to up sticks and move i would just move to thailand and spend my time off there. But im looking for settling in the u.k for the time being maybe i will retire in thailand but thats a long long way off haha.

A student visa is out the question as she dont want to come here to study she wants to settle and work.

It looks like getting married is the only way which i think is totally wrong. You should not need to be married to live with your loved ones.

Nitro i have seen this type of visa you are on about and i have also read as stated above that you need to have lived together as partners for two years. How is that possible when they wont give you a visa to build up that amount of time together.

Does anybody else have anything to add to this ?

I mentioned your work as there is an off shore business in the far east .

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

It looks like getting married is the only way which i think is totally wrong. You should not need to be married to live with your loved ones.

Why?

What do you suggest?

Unfortunately, life isn't fair.

Nick

Nitro i have seen this type of visa you are on about and i have also read as stated above that you need to have lived together as partners for two years. How is that possible when they wont give you a visa to build up that amount of time together.

Sorry I may admit I got this totally wrong, my interpretation of rules. Sucks !
    Last edited by Nitro; 19th Sep 2013 at 00:23.

You should not need to be married to live with your loved ones
    Shouldn't it be loved one ;-)

If they are your loved one what's the problem with Marriage?

Think about it, are they truly your loved one and you theirs if the act of marriage is so out of the question, especially if it helps (in more ways than one) of bringing you together?

Just out of interest is an extension to the visitors visa an option?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
    ... is an extension to the visitors visa an option?
    No.

Posted from an iPhone so what you read may not necessarily be what I typed!
    Tobias - โทเบียส