Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Citizenship under the OLD rules 25 October Deadline!

I know we are all aware of the change to the rules but I feel this is worth pointing out.

Anybody looking to apply for citizenship and wishing to do so under the old rules, pre 28th October 2013, must have their application at the UK Visa & Immigration office by the last working day before the change.

The last day for applications is Friday 25th October 2013.

There is no postal receipts on Saturday 26th or Sunday 27th October.

UKBA
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Note that the date of a citizenship application is when the Home Office receives it (6.3.3), not when it's posted (unlike an immigration application).
    We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Hi

We are still looking over our future plans but we planning for my wife to get Citizenship / Passport first.
    My wife arrived here on spouse visa Jan 16th 2012 and will apply for ILR this coming December...will she then be able to apply for Citizenship under the old rules around December next year - 2014 ?, we were under the impression a 3 year not 5 year period in the U.K was required for her ???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OneAlanShearer View Post
    ... My wife arrived here on spouse visa Jan 16th 2012 and will apply for ILR this coming December...will she then be able to apply for Citizenship under the old rules around December next year - 2014 ?, we were under the impression a 3 year not 5 year period in the U.K was required for her ???
    Yes, that is correct. However, she will need to pass the Life in the UK Test and an English pass at level B1.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Hi All
    Been a long time since i posted here, happily all is fine and both Nita (wife) and my stepdaughter are doing well.
    I have looked on Home Office website but cannot find an answer to our circumstances.

We will be applying for Citizenship around Jan / Feb of next year under the old rules (Nita has ILR in the bag).

Our issue is as we now have my Stepdaughter here and she is here on a Swiss passport - thus did not require any visa - can we also apply for Citizenship and/or British passport for her at the same time as my wife ?.

My stepdaughter is 5 years old and been here since December 28th 2013 on her Swiss passport, she is settled into primary school and loving life here. Obviously as she is here on Swiss passport it is not essential for her to obtain British Citizenship and passport but would be great if she could together with my wife, if she cannot then as an EEA National here can she get British passport after 5 years here and would this be a better (cheaper) option.
    If any of the above is possible what would be the cost for my daughter ?.

Thanks
    John

It's not possible to apply for citizenship under the old rules, as the deadline has passed.

There might not be any problems with your wife's daughter registering with your wife under section 3(1) on form MN1, unless your wife fails.

However, they may also prefer your wife's daughter to have either PR or ILR/ILE first.

So, it may be better for the child to wait.
    Last edited by Vinny; 22nd Nov 2014 at 02:39.

Thanks Vinny

Maybe i was unclear but when i said applying under the "old rules", what i meant and thought was that Nita can apply for Citizenship after 3 continuous years residency in the U.K and NOT 5 years due to the date of her arrival in the UK (16-01-2012).

I know last Jan 2014 when we applied for ILR, we applied and were granted ILR under the old rules (2 years here), as i understood things so once ILR was granted we then had to wait another 1 year to be able to apply for Citizenship and Tobias also previously indicated this earlier in this thread...is this wrong ?, do you mean we cannot apply in Jan 2015 and must wait an extra 2 years ?.

Nita of course has her LIUK and B1 English test pass as part of her successful ILR application.

Also is it true that UKBA no longer excepts G.P's as professional referees ?.

Regarding adding my stepdaughter to Nita's Citizenship application i was thinking to do this but otherwise as you point out i am sure after 5 years residency here as an EEA (Swiss) passport holder so she would qualify for Citizenship anyway so it maybe better to wait.

I wish i could find a current phone number for UKBA to be able to ask somebody there but cannot find a contact number anywhere and the number i once had no longer appears in use !.
    Thanks
    John

John your wife has to wait one year from receiving ILR to apply for citizenship. As for your stepdaughter I have no depth of knowledge in this field. Hope others can help.

Mick..

Nec Aspera Terrant..
    Nec Aspera Terrent

Sorry. I was referring to the B1 English Language and Life in the UK tests requirements.

The 3 years residence naturalisation requirement for the spouse/civil partner of British citizens remains the same. However, since ILR or its equivalent is also required, people who take longer before being granted ILR won't benefit.
    Last edited by Vinny; 25th Nov 2014 at 09:20.

I think you should not post such detail on an open forum and respect other people. I think there are more infractions in this one post than is allowed and you will not be around for long!!

Mick..
    Last edited by Tobias; 10th Jan 2015 at 04:31. Reason: Edited to remove quote of now deleted post.
    Nec Aspera Terrent

Too much information even if she is a naughty girl.

colin 244

Quote Originally Posted by colin244 View Post
    Too much information even if she is a naughty girl.

colin 244
    I've reported the post so hopefully some of it if not all be erased.

Mick..
    Nec Aspera Terrent

Blog Entries

It looks like we were visited by someone who wanted to cause mischief and to offend and insult a Forum Member by manufacturing a little tale designed to cause annoyance and upset. The offender has been banned. Thank you for the Post Reports and for not raising to the bait.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

?????
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Hi everybody, been a while since I've posted. We managed to get an extension to my wife's settlement visa after she "lost" several months when needed to return to Thailand following a family bereavement. Her current settlement visa is valid until April 2016 so she is looking to get the B1 and LITUK test done and from reading this thread it looks as though she should aim to get it all done so we can apply for citizenship before the October 25th deadline. Must admit, I have "dropped the ball" on all this stuff over the last few months or so. Am I correct in thinking that B1 English test and LITUK are still the required tests she needs to take. And, what is happening after October? Any help or overview greatly appreciated. - Allan and Nuy