Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ andyn1066's Avatar

Default Name change - Which passport should we use here and there?

Really need some advice from members, hopefully one has had a similar problem. We all will be travelling from LHR via KUL to BKK in March, plane tickets were purchased some time ago. My step sons ticket is in his Thai name, which he has a valid Thai passport. Since the ticket was purchased he has changed his name via name change deed, gained British citizenship, and has applied for a British passport. So he will have dual nationality, and two valid passport in different names. Question is will we have problem at check-in or the gate? I can't see any problem leaving the UK, but never travelled though KUL. I know in BKK they double check visa status at the gate, but as his ticket will be in one name, and British passport in another will it be a problem. I can produce the name change deed , but will they understand this at an Asian airport? I was told even if we pay we can not change the name on the plane ticket. Any ideas anyone??

Blog Entries

He must carry both passports to show to the authorities (as and when necessary) and the airlines.

There should be no problem. Use the Thai passport to enter Thailand and the British passport to enter the UK (and show at check-in).

You might also want to take an original copy of the executed Change of Name Deed.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Thanks Tobias, was going to carry both and change of name deed. Just didn't want to have any problems with an inexperienced "jobs worth" type. Its a shame airlines don't let people update name details on tickets for an admin fee. As you are the fountain of all knowledge, you have put my mind at rest. thanks again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andyn1066 View Post
    ... Its a shame airlines don't let people update name details on tickets for an admin fee ...
    Most do! BA for sure change them for free after marriage or a Change of Name Deed. Worth giving the airline a call and see what they can do for you.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

After speaking with the ticket agent (Flight Centre) they said it can't be done, that's why I was a bit worried about the name situation. Now I will contact Malaysia Airlines direct to see if they will. Will update thread after their response. thanks again.

Blog Entries

Do make it clear the change of name is in relation to the same passenger, not a substitute passenger.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Don't really see the hassle here. Nok does this every trip we take.
    Ticket booked in her married name, leaves UK on British passport.
    Enter LOS on Laos passport in her maiden name. Never been questioned on this in the last 6 years.
    When leaving LOS shows her British passport at check-in. When at passport control shows her Laos passport and have only been asked to see her ticket and subsequently her Laos passport on one occasion.
    Enters UK on her British passport.
    Simples!
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Thanks for the input Gary. I was just worrying as his ticket is in Thai name, and Thai passport shows expired UK visa. So if they then questioned his visa status, I would have to produce British passport in his new name. As you said Nok has her ticket and British passport in the same name. I will contact the airline and enquire about changing name on ticket, as "Simples is not always the case in Thailand.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

My wife does it every trip, use Thai passport to leave UK, enter Thailand and leave Thailand (showing UK passport to prove admittance to Uk), and then enter UK on UK passport

Managed to change his name on ticket, well actually they issued a new ticket. £125.

Blog Entries

Default Name change - Which passport should we use here and there?

That is very naughty of them Andy. Most full service airlines will change a name in these circumstances without a charge, or with a small administration fee.

Posted from an iPhone so what you read may not necessarily be what I typed!
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Its not good Tobias., Hopefully other members will not make do the same. It would been ok if they didn't ask for his biometric card back which showed he had ILR in his old name. Anyway done now, he has citizenship and passport in his new name.