Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Boydio's Avatar

Default Travel during visa application (temporary Thai passport?)

Does anyone know if it's possible to apply for a temporary Thai passport while awaiting settlement visa decision?

3 months seems an awfully long time to be without one's passport. I know temporary passports do exist but they seem to be for alternative purposes. I

Don't think you can, but if you need to Travel Urgently then a call to them (UKBA) and ask for the passport back but it might mean having to start over again.
    dont judge me by my past, I dont live there anymore.

David & Aree

Yes, that can be done in an emergency, but I'm trying to see if there is another route. As I mentioned above, 3 months is a long time to keep somebody's passport. What if they travelled regularly for their job etc?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I agree that 3 months is way too long.

If you needed documents back quickly for business etc, then a public desk appointment would be needed.

As for requesting your documents back mid-application, UKBA website said that in doing so, the application will be withdrawn, documents returned and a new application will be required (and payment again !!).

What is a public desk appointment?

Yes, I am aware of the UKBA condition about applying for documents back. We will not be doing this under any circumstance and negates my whole point.

I'm guessing nobody has ever looked into this, or done it, so I guess I'll have to hope that the MFA understand what I'm asking and either reply to me or Mrs Boydio, who has emailed in Thai, answering our question. Temporary passports certainly exist and can be obtained, but it's whether they are only available to those waiting for a passport from Thai authorities.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Boydio View Post
    What is a public desk appointment?

I'm guessing nobody has ever looked into this, or done it, so I guess I'll have to hope that the MFA understand what I'm asking and either reply to me or Mrs Boydio, who has emailed in Thai, answering our question. Temporary passports certainly exist and can be obtained, but it's whether they are only available to those waiting for a passport from Thai authorities.
    I apologise, I've misunderstood your post. I thought you were applying from within the UK and I was talking about a UKBA premium service at a public desk appointment.

Oops !

Blog Entries

Boydio, what exactly is it you wish to do?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Basically, we want to go to The Maldives (no visa required) at the end of April for two weeks. Her visa application is being submitted at the end of next month, so it is highly unlikely we will have received her passport back in time to travel. The dates of travel are not flexible (before people suggest we just wait for her passport). We either go at end April, or not at all.

I wondered if anybody else had faced a similar quandary. I had hoped that we could apply for a temporary Thai passport but am awaiting a reply from the MFA.

All is not lost if it's not an option, just means yet another 'holiday' in Thailand, but I'll have already been there for two weeks and we really wanted a fortnight somewhere else.