Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sole custody

Member สมาชิก

We want to get a SV for my wife's little girl, and have been told that as my wife was never married to the girl's father, she does not need a sole custody document to get a passport and visa for her. Is this correct?

Member สมาชิก

We want to get a SV for my wife's little girl, and have been told that as my wife was never married to the girl's father, she does not need a sole custody document to get a passport and visa for her. Is this correct?

Who is the father on the birth certificate ?
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Member สมาชิก

Father on birth certificate is the biological father, and daughter was originally given his family name. However this has since been changed at Amphur to mother's family name. His consent was not needed because they were aware, apparently, at Amphur that he had long since left the province.

I think, because his name is still on the birth certificate, you would still need to get a document from the Amphur confirming sole custody, though, as they are already aware of the situation, that shouldn't be a problem.
    Gordie T Geordie

GTG, I agree with that. Richierich, I don't think your wife currently has Sole Custody and needs to sort that out before a Child Settlement visa application is contemplated.
    John

Once you get the sole custody document it is crucial that you get a translation and the translation will need to be legalised either by the Ministsry of Forein affairs in Bangkok or by the Thai embassy in the UK.

I have also asked Alan at the Thai Embassy in Hull to write me a letter with the Embassy stamp on it explaining what the sole custody document is and what does it mean.

I have used this on numerous occassions

Kind regards

Andy

Member สมาชิก

Andy,how did you use this letter? I am guessing that it will be written in Thai and you would show it at the Amphur to make sure they issue the correct document?

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ Tony & Apple's Avatar

my wife was never married to the girl's father
    this was the position that my wife was in back in 2003 when we were gathering the evidence for my step daughter's settlement visa to join her in the UK.

my wife went to the local amphur with head of the village and obtained 'sole custody' document. also changed her daughter's first and surname to hers.

then went to khon kaen to apply for the passport, which at the time took 2 weeks.

we applied for the visa via the UK sending the photocopied docs by DHL to embassy. got a short interview and the visa.

legalised either by the Ministsry of Forein affairs in Bangkok or by the Thai embassy in the UK.
    we never did this although we translated the sole custody document in thai at one of those shops near the british embassy.

since arriving in the UK we have never had to actually use the sole custody document.

the birth cert (with translation and change of name docs) has been used alot though. for example in opening a bank account and recently when i obtained PR for my step daughter.

it seems like your wife has a good relationship with amphur, which will help.
    แอนโธนี่

Member สมาชิก

Thanks for the info so far. So I can be sure of explaining things correctly to my wife, can anyone tell me what the name of the "sole custody document" sounds like in Thai, also what is Thai for "village head man"?

i can only tell you about the papers that my wife applied for at the local amphur, which we understand show 'sole custody' for our daughter.

the papers that my wife obtained are called:

'por.khor 14'

the english translation said:

'child maintaince papers'

the document consisted of 3 docs:

first one is called inquiry of child maintaince memo, which was addressed to the passport division

second and third pages consisted of a recording of two interviews, one with the village head who acted as a witness/reference and one with my wife.

this 'sole custody' document was used to obtain a thai passport for my step daughter and was also included in the evidence folder for the visa, which was successful.

as said above my wife never 'legally' married her daughter's father but his name is on the thai birth cert.
    แอนโธนี่

i just 'googled' 'por.khor 14'

and came up with this from AUSTRALIAN embassy in thailand

Custody and Parental Consent for Migrating Children

• Documents to verify the custody of all children included in this application, i.e. Divorce memorandum or Por.Khor 14 or death certificate if one of the child’s parents is deceased
    maybe a member can translate 'Por.Khor 14' in to english?
    แอนโธนี่

Member สมาชิก

Thanks for the info guys.

Por.Khor 14 ?

A quick search on Google has thrown up :-

Judicial hearing statement (por khor 14)
    John

Member สมาชิก

OK, now my wife has the Por Khor 14 after going to Amphur yesterday. Next step is my wife's interview next month, if all goes well we will apply for her daughter's visa immediately so they can come over at the same time. I presume it's OK for my wife to sign the visa application as her daughter is not quite 4 years old, or should I sign it as her sponsor?

Guys does that mean when I emigrate back to Aust.I will need the step daughters father's permission again - that will be a pain (in the wallet)

or could we argue that becasue he has not supported her for X amount t he is irrelevant?? (I thought a parental responsiblity doc may help our case)

Sorry to cloud the issue Rich - you don't need a parent responsibilty document before you ask BTW.

Good Luck with the application Rich - you are doing the things we did a few years ago and the step daughter got it first interview

Skippy

Member สมาชิก

Great news today, my wife had her interview for SV and it was approved, first attempt, no rip-off agency, just advice from this forum. Nice one guys, thanks again! Next step is to apply for visa for my wife's little girl, should be just a formality as we already have por. khor 14 and daughter is only 4 yrs old. I should mention what an excellent service we got from the`Old Man' in Bangkok for document translation, as recommended on this forum.
    Rich.

Originally posted by Richierich:
    Great news today, my wife had her interview for SV and it was approved, first attempt, no rip-off agency, just advice from this forum.
    Nice one! Well done and congratulations!

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

welldone

Congrats from us too
    colin 244 & Dao