Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Question UK TV on Internet

Is it possible to get BBCiPlayer or any of those via the internet in Thailand as I'd like to keep up with a few programmes while away... Maybe to watch on the iPad or mac providing I can get wifi..

Although in the village I'll be taking stuff on my hard drive to watch during those long dark nights alone while they all sleep...
    Andy
    Nothing ever Changes...but the shoes!

Premium Member

I have used this before , worked well. https://www.thaiexpat.tv/

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ sumrit's Avatar

If you use Google Chrome as your browser download their Zenmate Extension (totally free at the moment). you can then choose a virtual IP address in the UK and watch all the UK i-players in Thailand.

Where about's in Thailand will you be? Depending on where you are, if 3G is available with one of the Thai providers, you can get a sim with 'unlimited' 3G for around 800-1000 baht. Unlimited actually means unlimited internet access, not unlimited 3G speeds. You will actually get 4-5 GB at 3G speeds then it gets throttled back to 384 KB.

As Steve57 says Thai expat tv is very good. I has 15 channels, including all BBC, ITV, CH4 and CH5 channels. You pay by the month and it costs 600 baht pm.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie57 View Post
    I have used this before , worked well. https://www.thaiexpat.tv/
    I've tried the 2 day free trial and found it great.
    I will maybe get it soon.
    It's 900 thb for the first time then 600 thb per month
    You need a fairly good net connection though, above 3 MB:
    http://www.thaiexpat.tv/knowledgebas...V-service.html

We will be in the village up near Korat... I intend to get a sim anyway as it's gonna be the cheap option.. I've applied with O2 to get my iPhone unlocked too.. It's free on contract.. The bolt on with o2 is £120 for a month for calls etc..
    Just got to make sure I get a sim with data allowance on it..

I take it there is no 4g in Thailand?

Thanks for the links too
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post

Thanks for the links too
    Yes they've just started doing it...

iplayer struggles with the bandwith in many areas best of luck

We will be in the village up near Korat
    I'm in that area at the moment for a few days, in a village about 30 km to the south, near Pak Thong Chai.

It's all a bit hit and miss on 3G, but getting better all the time. AIS is probably the best in this area at the moment with True improving as well. DTAC is way behind and, in my opinion, not worth considering. WIFI is also very patchy and (usually) painfully slow where it is available in public places, but sometimes you can get lucky.

True have just started 4G in the Bangkok area but again it is patchy.

Premium Member

anybody noticed the phone companies at BKK airport as you come out of customs in to the arrival area, I think they have special deals for tourists,/ visitors. never had time to check them out before.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie57 View Post
    anybody noticed the phone companies at BKK airport as you come out of customs in to the arrival area, I think they have special deals for tourists,/ visitors. never had time to check them out before.
    555 the word special is about right. Far too much credit that will never get used.

Choose in advance and buy from the 7/11

Better still get someone to send the sim over in the post and get it set up.

Question

Iphone is set to go.. Just gotta plug it into the iTunes once I have the Sim...

So any advice on the best Sim card to buy... before I get there and the family start telling which one is best??
    Andy

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

So any advice on the best Sim card to buy... before I get there and the family start telling which one is best??
    We used the AIS stand at BKK Airport and got 2 sims for our iphone 5's. They set it all up for us and bobs your uncle. All very reasonably priced and straight forward. Would use them again

if you just want a sim to make a few calls then most are ok , I usually use 12call, the true inter sim is worth a look. Most are 50b sometimes folk sell them in the street for less. Get the family to send one over in the post.
    It takes a while for the new sim to activate, maybe 30 mins. There is a 7/11 on the middle level at the airport that will sell you a sim without credit. Top up is your choice unlike the phone company desks. Make sure the data is switched off unless you want to use data. Let the family choose and put one in the post.

As well as True, DTAC have also started a 4G system in a few areas.

If you want a 3G/4G internet connection you can check whether each of the providers supply 3G coverage for the area(s) you'll be staying at on these links.

AIS: http://www.ais.co.th/3g/en/coverage-checker.aspx

TRUE: http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/why/entry/86

DTAC: http://www.dtac.co.th/en/

If you're just looking to make local (within Thailand) phone calls there's not a lot to choose between them.

If you want to make phone calls back to the UK a True Inter sim offers the best rates. One baht per minute to UK land lines and (I think) 6 baht per minute to UK mobiles.

Actually I think you could get the family in LOS to put a sim in a phone get it activated and loaded

Then they can post it. The good thing is that the sim can be used as soon as the plane hits the tarmac.

Quote Originally Posted by Linne View Post
    Actually I think you could get the family in LOS to put a sim in a phone get it activated and loaded

Then they can post it. The good thing is that the sim can be used as soon as the plane hits the tarmac.
    You don't need to get PAYG sims activated here Linne, just put them in your phone and they're automatically ready to use.

Most sims have a few baht of credit to start you off but, if you buy a sim from a 7-11 shop you can buy credit at the same time. Most shop staff will also put the sim in your phone and add the credit for you as well in you want them to.

Thanks for the replies.. I've ordered a couple of free sims from EE here in Uk to set our phones up..Only need to do it once.. As we won't have time to post sims.. we are away in 10 days..

As for usage.. Rare I make phone calls.. I want to be able to use messanger and get on Facebook and Instagram etc.. So data.. Everything but making calls lol
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by sumrit View Post
    You don't need to get PAYG sims activated here Linne, just put them in your phone and they're automatically ready to use.
    Ok, when I put a new sim in the phone it takes a while for something to happen before it will let me add the top up.
    I then get a whole series of text messages from the phone company, I just assumed that something was becoming live. I just enjoy having a live thai number in the phone as soon as I touch down. If I am being met at the airport, someone is usually wondering where I am. I never seem to get the right exit and that shambles of a meeting area.

Quote Originally Posted by Linne View Post
    Ok, when I put a new sim in the phone it takes a while for something to happen before it will let me add the top up.
    I then get a whole series of text messages from the phone company, I just assumed that something was becoming live. I just enjoy having a live thai number in the phone as soon as I touch down. If I am being met at the airport, someone is usually wondering where I am. I never seem to get the right exit and that shambles of a meeting area.
    I know you'll get a series of messages but the sim is live from the moment you put it into the phone.

I bought a new AIS PAYG sim for my daughter's Tab just last week and put it in for her. Was able to phone immediately (miss called myself to get put the number in my phone) and went on the internet straight away to make sure she could get 3G. Everything worked straight away and the 3G set up information was installed onto the Tab automatically. She still went on to receive the text messages you're talking about but that didn't prevent the sim from working straight away.