Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Default UK Visitor Visa Practical Advice About Folder Please

Hello all.

Two questions about the current details involved in submitting an application for a UK Visitor Visa online.

1. Is it true that the only was to pay now is online, and that the banker's draft method is dead ? If so, what ways of paying are available ? I am concerned that if it's credit-card payment only, my Thai g/f might be stuck as she doesn't own one.

2. Regarding the practical matter of how to physically put all the supporting documents, photos, etc. together in a convenient way. We have a 3-inch thick ring-binder, and i now read that ring-binders are being rejected at VFS and all the papers being dragged out in a pile - has anyone had this experience ? If ring-binders are not acceptable, how on earth are we to make an organised collection of all this paperwork ? Please tell how you've done this. Plus, how have people arranged the two different categories of docs - 'original' and 'copy' - to make it easy for the VFS clerk to go through it all as easily as possible.

First application, hence the unease

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

First ones always a nightmare but try not to stress about it to much, I assume you are filling in the visa app form for your G/F , I have always done Pan's for her simply because the form is only in English and if I have all the info to hand I can probably get through it in about an hour. I then send the login details to Pan and she signs the last page electronically this way you have a happy unstressed wife/ g/f. you will then have the option to pay for the appointment ( which I assume you are doing ) you can just use your UK credit/debit card to do this. always print yourself a copy of the completed application form then keep it safe for next time as it makes it a lot easier as you will have all the info you need all ready to go. I to have used a ring binder in the past, one of the big ones weighing over 3Kg and so much paper you struggled to get the metal prongs to close shut but I think for the 4 th visa I will streamline it a lot as the last time Pan said they did start removing stuff at VFS what they pulled I don't know as I havn't been back since she got the last visa which is a 2 year one. Late last year or early this there was a post by one of the regulars as to how he had gone about it this time which was to put each section into the plastic folders that have a coloured back and clear front and fold over metal tabs inside to hold the paper work, that is the way I will go with it next time. There is a tendency to over do it, i've done it. The most important single component is the reason to go back, if you have got a pressure tight reason for her to go back then most of the other stuff is window dressing.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ PlymouthNick's Avatar

I do the same as Nigel, fill it all in myself, print a copy for next time and pay the fee too. For our 1st visit visa mine was about 4 inches thick.Our 3rd one was about 1/4 inch. The only copies we did were of the tabien baan, house ownership, her bank book, marriage cert. We didn't copy any of my evidence. It's all about her reason to return and your relationship. They look at is this a genuine relationship

Premium Member

Hello SingerSongwriter,

I note the security info for VFS Global

http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/...ncentre.html#4

which informs applicants visiting the Trendy Office building on Sukhumvit Soi 13 will be prohibited from taking zip folders and sealed envelopes inside.

They go on to say that only a plastic bag containing your application papers is permitted.

My take on it is that your applicant is expected to carry loose papers, possibly in unsealed envelopes, and all inside a plastic shopping bag, though even that is only at the discretion of security staff.
    Mark L

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

all inside a plastic shopping bag
    7Eleven or FamilyMart?

Premium Member

I had Tesco Lotus bags in mind
    Mark L

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by SingerSongwriter View Post
    ...Is it true that the only was to pay now is online, and that the banker's draft method is dead ? If so, what ways of paying are available ? I am concerned that if it's credit-card payment only, my Thai g/f might be stuck as she doesn't own one...
    More 'digging' turned up this info from Frequently Asked Questions section of VFS Global website:
    How do I pay my Visa fees?
    You can pay your visa application fee through online only.
    I'm afraid this is not very helpful. It does appear that bankers drafts are no longer accepted, sorry.
    Mark L

its also a nice excuse to scam you , cost of visa is in £ but the transaction is done in $ and strangely its much more than the stated amount. I would dearly love an explanation of the logic behind pricing a UK visa in GBP but charging for it in US$.

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

We experienced the whole 'taking folders apart' thing. However, I know a few people who have had folders accepted intact.

The bit about not taking sealed envelopes etc. into the VFS office doesn't necessarily mean you can't take a folder in. They're not sealed envelopes

Our applications (4th one recently submitted) are without any folders, separators, index sheets, or anything that might make it easier for the ECO to find what they'r e looking for

Not for any spiteful reasons, it's just that we've had all the above mentioned aids removed and returned to us before the dimwits staff at the VFS office passed it on to the embassy.

Now all they get is all the paperwork in the order we think is best. So it would be; application form, wife's ID and paperwork, my ID, my bank statements, my work stuff (payslips and confirmation of employment status, accommodation stuff etc etc.

They don't even get the plastic wallet my wife brings it in. She won't give to them, she doesn't like them

I've never met them, but I trust her judgement
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by bifftastic View Post
    I've never met them
    I have

biff ...............how is the complaint going ?

Still no response from anyone.
    "And yet, here you are."

Quote Originally Posted by bifftastic View Post
    Still no response from anyone.
    If you have no acknowledgement or indeed a proper response then look at the time scales and err onwards and upwards perhaps

I will, I'm still waiting for the (ridiculously long) 20 day time frame for the UKVI response to come to an end. Once they reply with "we need your wife's authority in writing to proceed with this complaint" answer, that's what they will get and we'll take it from there.
    "And yet, here you are."

I am going to guess that the response will turn up on day 20

Member สมาชิก

Oh ❇❇❇ - why oh why does it have to be such a challenge ! Thanks all you guys - really valuable replies. It's one of those 'don't know whether to laugh or cry situations' - i have a first-class honours degree, a London PhD and a philosophy book in print, and i'm having to ask for help with something as simple (you'd think) as handing in an application for a short holiday ! Added to which i've had a life-long abhorrence of dealing with jumped-up functionaries of the state - oh, and innate paranoia

First - yep - i do access the application form from the uk even though my g/f started it in Thailand. She just sent the password - i was happy to get into it because if vfs were running a sophisticated program they could block access from different IP addresses. And yes, i can pay online from here - though in the meantime she has used her connections at work to speed up an application for a credit-card

I still haven't really nailed down the practical issue of how to present all the docs we've assembled - like a couple of you guys our folder is several Kgs and a few inches thick - the biggest size of ring-binder. It's tricky from 6000 miles away but i'm leaning towards putting each section in an open plastic folder (a la nigel&panada) and then somehow gathering them all together...? Applicants like us who've been together over 5 years but never applied for a visa will naturally have a mass of material/evidence which is difficult to slim down for a first application - thanks for saying that some of you decided to gradually slim down the folder as subsequent applications went in.

I've also learned that it's OK to say X!*#X and insist that the vfs clerk does accept what we've decided is our application if they attempt to slim it down arbitrarily on the spot. My partner is quite capable of giving the hard eyes and firm tone if she needs to !

Yep - reason for returning to LoS the crucial element - thanks PlymouthNick. With letters from her headmaster, the b. mayor and the governor !!! (she's an English teacher in a gvt school) i think we've got that covered well. She also 'owns' a car and some land.

PlymouthNick - can i ask about what happens to the sponsor's original documents ? - i notice that you say you don't include any copies of your docs so presumably you let them have your important originals - are they safely returned at the time her passport is ready to collect ? I'm including quite a number of original documents it would be nigh on impossible to replace if they went missing.

Bifftastic - when you say your wife won't even let them keep the plastic folder all the papers are in (made me smile)- that raises the question in my paranoid mind - how is the pile of loose papers then secured as one intact application ? Does the vfs clerk collect them together in one of their own folders or envelopes ? I'm worrying that bits will get separated and an incomplete application arrive at the embassy. All of which would be avoided if they'd allow us to do a top job with a good ring-binder !

If she is a teacher in a govt school ( my Pan is also ) then he will need education dept permission to leave the country, this takes about 6 weeks as the wheels turn slowly in Thailand they will also not give her permission to stay out of the country for more than 30 days but they don't seem to check up on it . It might seem like an extra pain in the *** to get that document but its a nice piece to include in the evidence to return, actually its probably the best piece you could have as she has sought govt permission to travel abroad. On the basis of your last post you should have no trouble at all getting her a visa as its exactly the same as us i.e teacher , car , land although car is not really a reason to return land and her job are.