Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Talking Help with spouse on settlement visa

Hello all,

Could anyone please outline what steps lie ahead for my wife and me please.

She came here on a settlement visa in September 2013, visa granted for 2yrs 8months.

She got A1 for her BULATS Test, does she need to do the 'Life in the UK' test or any other course?

Is our next step applying for FLR and biometrics (how long before visa expiry) or do we have any other choices, thanks

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe under the new (July 2012) rules she will apply for another FLR visa when her current one expires and only needs the A1 for that. After 5 years then she can go for ILR but only if she's passed a B1 test plus the LITUK

Quote Originally Posted by thailander View Post
    She came here on a settlement visa in September 2013, visa granted for 2yrs 8months.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    she will apply for another FLR visa when her current one expires
    She should be able to apply for the next visa (30 month FLR) 28 days before being in the UK for 2.5 years (30 months). She will not need to wait until the current visa expires.
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry that's what I should have said. Main point was that under the new rules it'll be another FLR extension after her current one

Member สมาชิก

Thanks guys, she actually got B1 for the BULATS course for her spouse visa, is that the same or equivalent to the ESOL with citizenship? So under current rules she just needs to do the Life in UK test before ILR. Am I correct I thinking we can pay extra to go to a UKBA centre to speed up FLR process, I've read about horrendous backlog waits with passports being in limbo? Anyone have any useful links or tips like the frogsters guide to FLR...
    I'm getting very bogged down with so much information that doesn't apply a few handy pointers for what to expect and prepare for would be handy. We've got joint utility bills, joint bank accounts, flight tickets, provisional licence already. After 5 years when we hopefully have ILR does she get a UK passport to keep then...

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Does anyone else read the username and a big booming voice goes off in their heads saying

"Thailander. There can be only one"

?

No? I suppose I'd better add some value then.

B1 is the English level requirement. Look here. Check if it needs to be renewed as it has a limited validity. https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...s_01_07_14.pdf

Life in the UK test is different (and much harder). That's all the questions about the history, law, customs, etc, of the UK. It's based on one official book so just buy that and study it all and the practice questions (also available as another book or an app on Iphone, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by thailander View Post
    Am I correct I thinking we can pay extra to go to a UKBA centre to speed up FLR process...
    Yes you can, and as you say it just costs more for a personal appointment than a postal one.

And the easiest way to hang on to your passport if it is going to be needed around the time of applying.

Anyone have any useful links or tips like the frogsters guide to FLR...
    I'm getting very bogged down with so much information that doesn't apply a few handy pointers for what to expect and prepare for would be handy.
    To be honest I don't really think you need it. You have done the hard bit and got the settlement visa. The next one (FLR) is quite a bit easier. I would suggest you download the form and just fill it in. You will then find out what you need to start collecting and where any bits might be missing.
    Personally I think it is as easy as that. Daunting maybe but get to grips with it early so there is no panic and it all falls in to place.

After 5 years when we hopefully have ILR does she get a UK passport to keep then...
    No, not by just getting the ILR visa. She would then need to apply for a Citizenship, again another cost and another form to fill in.
    Once again I would suggest you download that form as well and have a look now to see what info you need.

And of course if you get stuck on anything just come on here and ask the questions (even if you thing it is stupid), people will help.
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Member สมาชิก

Thanks all I'll take your advice and download the forms. Has anyones spouse had problems with passing the life in the uk test? Are there any alternatives? Local college does esol course but appart from being useful it's very pricey for only 3 hours a week and not a requirement. We already have rossetta stone and other English learning methods.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

On a side note would it be better to put money in my wife's account or joint account for shopping etc. She could then use atm instead of untraceable cash at the moment?