Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  113
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Hybrid View

Default In Korat for a bit longer... [live trip report]

Well, from Sunday actually. Arrived in LOS earlier today and in Bangers for a couple of day's.

So, following on from last years, 'in Korat for a bit', thread, is this (hopefully) on-going one, to be added to whenever there is something worthwhile to add!

Yesterday started well, got a free upgrade on BA to business class.

To be continued.......
    'Tis me

Keep it coming caller

colin 244

Korat has a lot of appeal for me too. Just a shame the transport there cannot be improved.
    I hate long distance buses and the train despite being scenic for part of the route needs to be a tad faster.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

http://www.coffeepitini.com. Hi if you haven't been here already defiantly worth trying , looking forward to your reports, have a great time and enjoy regards Andy

Quote Originally Posted by thongchai View Post
    http://www.coffeepitini.com. Hi if you haven't been here already defiantly worth trying , looking forward to your reports, have a great time and enjoy regards Andy
    Hello Andy - yup, went there a couple of times when I was last over. Seems highly regarded by all, although I probably won't have a pizza there again. The fish and chips looked good! It's also west of the city, which I prefer. Unfortunately, I'll be living to the East of the City. Might have to work on that!

When will you be heading back out?
    'Tis me

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Not sure Phil , Trying to ballance things out with saving for the future ,so our longer term plans for living there are realised, so need to save , but want to see family /holiday etc , our plan is to try and do every other year if we can manage but the pull to Thai is strong for all of us so will see on that one, but financaly it makes sence for us ,, so it would be 2016 lets see.... I wont ask the story about the pizza as will be on my list to try next time , yep think they have a gold mine with that resturant , regards Andy

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Of the short time we've spent in Khon Kaen on our last trips, Khon Kaen seemed to have more of a "City feel" to it, similar to Udon Thani. My wife has family in both Maha Sarakham & close to Chaiyaphum. If we ever have the chance to move over I think I would struggle with the smaller towns so Khon Kaen I think would be a good choice for us as it's in between.
    Last trip in Sarakham I was struggling after only a few days and yearning for a farang bar to just sit and chill but didn't seem to be any. That probably says more about me than the town though
    I joked to the wife that I should open a farang pub there......only problem is I've only ever seen one other farang there in all my trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Wat Baan Rai

Normally, when I hear talk of visiting a temple, my mind clouds over and I go into a sort of blank, neutral state of mind. Just go along for the ride, make the right platitudes and so on.

But Wat Baan Rai breaks the mould. In fact, I'd happily return. Maybe some of you have been there? I'm assured it's well known, that Thais travel from all over to visit and hear the head Monk (excuse ignorance). What's different about it, is the psychedelic overkill that it is. Apparently, this famous monk was well known for rolling his own cigarettes, to his own, erm, recipe, which might explain the type of temple he has created? The cigarettes seem to be slowly killing him now, but he is of a good age and still gives audiences via a glass screen, as witnessed by the large crowds on our visit.

The Temple is situated in Dan Khun Thot district, to the North West of Korat city, about an hour or so away. It's well signposted from about 10km away. It's built on an island in what appears to me to be a large man-made lake. You actually have to pay to enter and be guided in a large group, until you cross the threshold to the temple, at least, then you can just wander off and do your own thing.

Please correct me if any of the above information is wrong. It's all second hand.

Anyway, onto some photos. The first group show the temple from various viewpoints.

I was really taken aback by this building and the detail that has gone into it. It's colourful with lots of interesting murals, carvings and statues, all seemingly with a point to make. The main hall on the ground floor contains several large murals and to the lefty is a ramp / slope that takes you to each floor. Again with many beautiful and somewhat unorthodox murals for a temple - at least going by my experience.

There are fantastic views over the very flat countryside from the roof - when you eventually get there!

'Tis me

Had I been on my own, I would have spent much longer exploring the carvings and statues on the exterior of the building, but it was hot and sunny (inevitably) and we all know how Thais worry about their skin.... There were many references to the consumer society we live in, but I couldn't work out if there was meant to be any sort of moral story attached to them, or whether that just went over my head?

I understand this is meant to represent something - I kid you not!

And this must be one of the best looking loo blocks anywhere! Not quite sure what you're meant to be thinking of when doing a No.2 under this lot!

'Tis me

Default Wat Baan Rai

The psychedelic feel continues down in the basement, which is actually below the water level of the lake and is set up to resemble erm, being underwater I guess? It's very effective and works, in an initial wow factor sort of way. The polished floor and ongoing changes to the lighting add to the effect.

Now the thing is, I have either seen photos from here before, or this copies somewhere else, because as we entered this area, all I had was that sense of Deja-vu and I've certainly not been here before.

Away from the themed, middle of the lake temple, we wandered back to it's more traditional neighbour as the gf wanted to hear the monk speak. It got very busy and quite hot as the crowds gathered. In the photo below, That's a wax image of the monk and the window he was to appear through is curtained, centre right.

After a while, my knees were giving way, so I went and sat on the side. By which time everyone had been connected by string whilst the chap in the second photo had been droning on and on and on. I thought it was chanting, but it turns out he was asking for donations. I nearly nodded off. Looking at the lady leaning against the pillar, I wasn't the only one!

Anyway, after an hour or so of waiting, the gf had got fed up and we left without seeing / hearing the Monk and I grabbed a few final shots before heading back to Korat. If in the area, I'd really recommend a visit to Wat Baan Rai.

'Tis me

As you say caller it is certainly different, I thought The White Temple in Chiang Rai was until your post.

colin 244

Member สมาชิก

That looks a very interesting place, never been nor even heard about it before, even when we lived over there. The wife says she has been years ago and will definitely pay a visit when we are next over at our place as its not too far. Cheers.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

See no good trip report would be complete without a tea bag update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is M and S tea any better than others ?

Got to be better than the "Twinings" discussed on the forum recently.

colin 244

Quote Originally Posted by Linne View Post
    Is M and S tea any better than others ?
    No idea, but it's decaf tea and I find M&S, Waitrose and Sainsbury's own brands pretty good - it's probably all the same. Tesco's is awful. And they are cheaper than the established brands own decaf tea @ £1.50 for 80 tea bags. My favourite is Yorkshire Tea Decaf, but it's not foil covered, making it more difficult to send.

You can get M&S tea here, from Central at Chit Lom (in their own store or TOPS), but it costs nearly a fiver for 80 decaf tea bags. You can also get Waitrose own label tea from TOPS at the same store at a reasonable price, but not decaf.

Another tea I'm very partial too, is Ahmads Evening tea, sold in Emporium and Siam Paragon. A tiny pinch of Bergamot is added, that just gives it a little lift away from the ordinary. Although as I take my tea without milk and sugar, I don't know how those additions would affect it?

Tea's important to me, as I don't drink coffee.
    'Tis me

Tea is definitely important for me too. Coffee has never my drink.

As for the quality of the own brands in the UK? Well, the blind tasting conducted by a panel of tea experts on behalf of Which? produced some interesting results:

https://press.which.co.uk/whichpress...randed-rivals/

The posh brands (Fortnum & Mason's, Whittard) did very poorly and the over-priced Duchy Original brand Earl Grey (Waitrose) came bottom! Aldi, Morrison's and Sainsbury's own brand teas came top.

My suitcase was packed with 12 boxes of Aldi's excellent "Gold" tea when I flew here to BKK last week. The lucky recipients are the lovely wife's in-laws in Korat and we're off there next week to make our farewells and carry out the tea drop (along with Jaffa cakes, Bounty bars and Cadbury's creme eggs) before we fly to Blighty in early May now that we've got that lovely settlement visa. The in-laws are also getting a "Brucie bonus" in the form of the proper kettle which I've been using here at the condo in Bangkok to make a decent brew, as opposed to those ghastly tepid water urns which are all too common here.

Pity no tasting's for decaf. But having been used to PG Tips decaf for the last few weeks (the last of a special offer I took advantage off and shipped out here with my other stuff) and now having received the M&S decaf, I pronounce the M&S the better decaf tea. It just seems 'brighter' and more refreshing.
    'Tis me