Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  113
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default In Korat for a bit longer... [live trip report]

Well, from Sunday actually. Arrived in LOS earlier today and in Bangers for a couple of day's.

So, following on from last years, 'in Korat for a bit', thread, is this (hopefully) on-going one, to be added to whenever there is something worthwhile to add!

Yesterday started well, got a free upgrade on BA to business class.

To be continued.......
    'Tis me

Keep it coming caller

colin 244

Korat has a lot of appeal for me too. Just a shame the transport there cannot be improved.
    I hate long distance buses and the train despite being scenic for part of the route needs to be a tad faster.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

http://www.coffeepitini.com. Hi if you haven't been here already defiantly worth trying , looking forward to your reports, have a great time and enjoy regards Andy

Quote Originally Posted by thongchai View Post
    http://www.coffeepitini.com. Hi if you haven't been here already defiantly worth trying , looking forward to your reports, have a great time and enjoy regards Andy
    Hello Andy - yup, went there a couple of times when I was last over. Seems highly regarded by all, although I probably won't have a pizza there again. The fish and chips looked good! It's also west of the city, which I prefer. Unfortunately, I'll be living to the East of the City. Might have to work on that!

When will you be heading back out?
    'Tis me

Not sure Phil , Trying to ballance things out with saving for the future ,so our longer term plans for living there are realised, so need to save , but want to see family /holiday etc , our plan is to try and do every other year if we can manage but the pull to Thai is strong for all of us so will see on that one, but financaly it makes sence for us ,, so it would be 2016 lets see.... I wont ask the story about the pizza as will be on my list to try next time , yep think they have a gold mine with that resturant , regards Andy

Went to watch Korat Swat Cat's v Pattaya Utd earlier (6.30ko). I'll post a report about that tomorrow - Lee Tuck and all!

But the real new experience for me, and I'm not sure how I feel about it, is listening to 17,000 Thai's sing the National Anthem while turning to face the Kings photo. And sing they did. There was no backing music, lead 'cheerleader' or anything of that ilk. I really didn't know how to respond - in some way's it was impressive, but also a little unnerving, somehow Orwellian, or even, dare I say it, totalitarian.

Anyway, Swat Cat's won 1-0 and still top their league!
    'Tis me

So, having been in Thailand since the 26th and Korat since the 28th - what's happened?

1. Laptop crashed. The guy fixing it reckons a power surge did for the hard drive - who knows? But something did and I'll hopefully get it back later today. Thank God for cloud and also my little convertible which is good for surfing the 'net, emails etc (but too fiddly to post pics, as above).

2. Subscribed to CTH for premiership footy. 6500b upfront for all matches. One thing confused me. When they came to rig up the satellite dish and all the attached gizmos, it only dawned on them at the end of the process that we didn't have the pay monthly option. So no sooner had it gone up, than the dish came down again and all gizmos removed. Seems they have different kit's for different services? Later the same afternoon, a different crew turned up with the right equipment and we now have a small blue dish rather than a massive one. It works fine which is the main thing.

3. TIT moments. Twice I was queuing, for ahem, KFC and then bread. At KFC, a Thai lady just ignored me and jumped in front as I was about to be served. I let her know what I thought and I guess the message must have got through as she turned, smiled and wai'd me whilst waiting for her order. Pam reckoned she might have thought that as a farang, I wasn't queuing - hmmm. The 2nd incident happened yesterday, at a bakers in the mall. When a woman with a tray of goodies just stepped in front of me and my loaf of bread and I think it's fair to say that my existence wasn't even acknowledged. I'm getting used to it now.

The 3rd TIT moment was in Trues shop in the Mall, asking about non-premiership footy and any programmes in English and the assistant pointed to True Gold. When Pam asked for details, she looked puzzled, asked around, didn't get much help and then suggested we look at their website. So a shop, trying to sell their own Companies product, couldn't provide me with any information about that product. Oh well, they were very smartly dressed at least!

4. Pams had me looking at houses, inevitably. I've joined a gym and I visit for the 1st time tomorrow. A source of alcohol-free beer has been identified and ordered (I've cut right down on the real thing and don't miss it (lucky there is no draught real ale here) and I'm now registered with a Doctor at the Bkk hospital in Korat (one of Pam's old uni friends).

And the sun is shining!
    'Tis me

Any chance of disclosing the source of the 0% beer ?

Sounds like your having fun caller

colin 244

Quote Originally Posted by Linne View Post
    Any chance of disclosing the source of the 0% beer ?
    Here you go -

http://www.wishbeer.com/Non-Alcoholic-s/1897.htm

Seemingly, there are no outlets in Korat, but I found alcohol free beer in Bkk at Villa Market, TOPS and Siam Paragon.
    'Tis me

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    Here you go -

Seemingly, there are no outlets in Korat, but I found alcohol free beer in Bkk at Villa Market, TOPS and Siam Paragon.
    I can't remember the brand, but I'm pretty sure that I've seen alcohol-free beer at the local Big C supermarket near our condo at Saphan Khwai in BKK, so maybe the Big C in Korat might stock it too? That big Tesco Lotus store which is almost just across from the Mall in Korat might be worth checking out too? I can't find it on the Tesco Lotus web site but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place:

http://shoponline.tescolotus.com/en-...Id=Cat00002734

Anyway, I'm back in BKK and then Korat in early November so I'll try to have a a quick scout.

Cheers/Chok Dee Khrap!

Thanks Tom, but a chap on the local forum said he had been to every outlet in Korat with no joy and had even asked his local bar to see if they could source it from their wholesalers, again with no joy, which seems a bit odd?
    'Tis me

Here you go -

Thanks for that. I had a notion of getting a local brew, might stick with the singha light after seeing the prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Linne View Post
    Thanks for that. I had a notion of getting a local brew, might stick with the singha light after seeing the prices.
    Discounts are available!
    'Tis me

Discounts are available!

Indeed but I am trying to stop my waistline from increasing. You can disguise it in the UK with loose clothing but not so easy in LOS

Was on the Singh's light also last time I was there as couldn't get the larger bottles off the normal one in the supermarkets ,

Least you can smile about your TiT moments , made me laugh too ,
    Keep enjoying

Can empathise with you on the subject of Thai's pushing in front when you're queuing - happened to me on several occasions. Unfortunately for the 'Pusher' I have always made my presence felt and regained my position.

Reminds me of a thirty something English lass I was talking to during a flight back from Thailand once. You know the type..........goes to Thailand for 2 weeks becomes a hippy, wears those really baggy, patterned trousers, a vest and ties her hair back................................anyway she was advising me how wonderful Thailand is and how polite Thai people are. My reply was.............."you clearly have never tried getting OFF the Skytrain during rush hour. Try it and then tell me they are polite"

Had my first ever haircut in Thailand today, but don't worry, I'm gonna get my revenge! Haven't had my hair shorn so short since I was about 8 or 9 and under Dad's orders!

I'll be updating this thread over the next few days / week or so - off to the races tomorrow - I'd better get a scarf to cover my neck!
    'Tis me

Jeez it's Forrest Gump
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.