The best that I can suggest is that you look through the following web pages about the various rules and regs regarding eligibility for housing benefit and how it's calculated:
From that site, you'll find the following:
You may get Housing Benefit if:
- you pay rent
- you’re on a low income or claiming benefits
- your savings are below a certain level - usually £16,000
You can apply if you’re employed or unemployed, but if you live with a partner, only one of you can get Housing Benefit.
If you’re single and under 35, you can only get Housing Benefit for bed-sit accommodation or a single room in shared accommodation.
Use a benefits calculator to check your eligibility or contact your council.
Who isn’t eligible
Usually you won’t get Housing Benefit if:
- your savings are over £16,000 - unless you get Guarantee credit of Pension Credit
- you live in the home of a close relative
- you’re a full-time student - unless you’re disabled or have children
- you’re an asylum seeker or sponsored to be in the UK
- you’re residing in the UK as an European Economic Area jobseeker
Good luck with your settlement visa application.