Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Default UK Sate Pension and Pension Credit Queries

Hi all. I cannot understand the current government papers on the pensions rules for someone in my situation, or i cannot keep up with the changes - but i can condense my worries into a few simple questions the replies to which might also help others -

1) for a British man already in receipt of the 65 + state pension which began being paid 4 years ago - if he brings his Thai partner into the UK on a 'settlement visa' (the first 2.5 yrs of the 5-year route) - would he be entitled to any kind of what used to be called a 'married couples pension' once she is settled in the UK? (i.e. an enhanced Joint pension.)
    2) with the same basic situation - if the British man is entitled to claim Pension Credit to top-up his basic State Pension, would he receive an increase in the Pension Credit for her as an Adult Dependent ?

Thanks in advance.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

To answer the first part of your question I do not think there are many joint OAP pensions anymore and your pension is paid to you on the basis of 40 odd years of contributions..It cannot change to a joint pension once you are married as far as I know..And you would have to have an income of £18600 anyway so she would not need a married persons state pension..

If you are applying for Pension Credit then you would not be able to bring your Thai wife over to the UK..because you must have an annual income of over £18600 so you would not be eligible for any public funds whatsoever...That was the whole point of the new rules on finances in July 2012 brought in the Tories!
    Last edited by tudorowen1; 30th Jan 2015 at 03:33.

Member สมาชิก

Hi tudorowen1 - thanks for taking the time. I think it its 30 years of contributions not 40 - this was brought in by the Labour (Blair) government. I take your points on board, but i'd like to sketch a scenario that makes the whole question more complex. I wouldn't be using the £18,600 rule - i would be using either, the Savings rule or a combination of Savings + Pension income - so your thoughts about being ineligible to apply for Pension Credit might not be relevant. Here's the scenario using only the £62,500 savings rule : British guy gets spouse visa on the basis of Savings (or savings + small pension) / once that hurdle is passed and the Thai partner is in the UK, guy uses the Savings to buy property, and so becomes eligible for Pension Credit on the basis that a) his state pension is only £120 a week (pension credit minimum is £151.20 a week.) and b) his remaining savings are now below the maximum £50,000 savings allowed while still being eligible to apply for Pension Credit. So this establishes that it is possible to bring a Thai partner into the UK and for the Brit to then apply for Pension Credit. (I think!) So my original question was really about the status of the Thai partner. I should re-write it as this: If a British guy IS in receipt of Pension Credit due to his income and Savings coming within the parameters set out by HM Gvt - would it be possible to apply for a pension credit top-up for his Thai partner as a 'Dependent Adult' ? (Pension Credit minimum for a couple is £230.85 a week.) Any pensions experts out there ?
    Last edited by SingerSongwriter; 30th Jan 2015 at 09:56.

But after 30 months when it comes to reapplying for FLR you would be refused if you have spent the majority of your savings on a house. It would be better to rent and keep your savings .I do believe you will still need to meet the Financial requirements when you apply for LTR after 5 years so you would still need the savings..

Member สมาชิก

10888277_750827018326558_243277405_n.jpgBut at the 30 month stage the wife's income can be taken into account - so the savings component becomes much less. At the 5-year stage (ILR) it is even less of a worry because one only has to show finances to cover 1 year, not 2.5. The 2 right-hand columns in the chart show how small the requirement is for 2 people both with some kind of income and/or pension.
    Last edited by SingerSongwriter; 30th Jan 2015 at 12:59.

It's a difficult question to answer..If your wife was working then you could not apply for Pension Credit anyway..And if your wife was not over the age of 65 she could not apply for Jobseekers allowance because she has made no contributions..
    I can see if you have £6000 state pension per year you would only need about 50000 in savings but I cannot see how you can apply for pension credit with that amount of money in the bank!

Member สมาชิก

Yep - i think the whole thing could only kick in after the ILR was obtained anyway. By the way, as a basic rule, you CAN apply for Pension Credit if you have £50,000 in the bank - not saying you'd get much but that is the cut-off point. You can also get something called 'Savings Credit' - i think everyone with savings should check before guessing they are not eligible. I get your first point about the wife working of course - but my whole interest in this is about any period when she was unable to find work. If you have time to spare, you could enter various combinations of savings/earnings/single or married etc....into this online calculator (don't have to give a name) and it gives a pretty good idea of how much Pension Credit might be available for each scenario -
    www.gov.uk/pension-credit-calculator