Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Default Marriage allowance [tax relief non-working partner]

If your Thai spouse is newly arrived in this country and not working ..and you are only paying the basic rate of income tax then you can claim part of her tax allowance..worth up to 17 GBP per month..Contact HMRC online..

I would ne interested to get clarification on this. I have just seen an item on the telly about this and the way I see it, She has to be working just not paying any tax as She is earning below the tax threshold.
    They also said it was a nightmare to claim for due to all the information they require, surprise surprise!!

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojet View Post
    They also said it was a nightmare to claim for due to all the information they require, surprise surprise!!
    Is it even worth it for "up to" £17 per month?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17GBP a month is better than nothing..

Has this started yet?

I have applied for that and was told that I would be notified when it comes in to force.

Or am I thinking of something completely different that is starting this year to do with wife's tax.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by tudorowen1 View Post
    17GBP a month is better than nothing..
    Yep, for filling in a form or two. I don't know why people would say things like "it's not worth it". Would those same people not accept 200 quid for half an hour's work? Actually, even better - with the 200 quid repeated every year.

Wasn't a proper marriage allowance one of the Conservative's 2010 election pledges? I didn't pay much attention (I wasn't living in the UK at the time and I wasn't married) but I think it was. I heard that the Liberal Democrats objected to it, which was why it took so long to come in under the coalition and why it's so small. Perhaps now the Conservatives have a majority it may get bigger much more quickly? Hopefully, they'd also scrap the stupidly unfair child benefit rules that were brought in too (though I think that's unlikely). It's completely discriminatory against one-earner families.

Isn't it you can only claim some of your spouses tax allowance if your earnings are low?

Anyway, if you can then apply.
    Last edited by Tobias; 27th May 2015 at 21:14. Reason: Some off topic content removed.

Member สมาชิก

Did anyone find out if our wives can claim this (and that it doesn't affect the 'no recourse to public funds' condition of visas? If we can claim, did anyone have any problem i.e. if their wives were not yet working. I registered an interest on behalf of my wife back in June and she has just received an email inviting her to apply.

You must have informed the HMRC that you are officially married to your spouse and you need to give them the following details..her married name, her former name,her date of birth ,and her NI number..Then when your wife fills in the online form or phones them the details you have provided will be asked for as a security check.If the details match with their records then you will get the marriage alowance..
    My wife received the email inviting her to apply but I had not registered the marriage with them..so I wrote to them with the details ..waited a month then phoned them up and got it all sorted out..

Member สมาชิก

Cheers tudorowen. Phoned them last night, they took our names, DOBs, NI numbers and said it was all sorted. Didn't even ask for marriage cert or anything.
    Have you started receiving the allowance yet? If so, have they just changed your tax code or how do you receive it? And did they send you anything like documentation or an email?

Cheers!

They have changed my Tax code..Hope to get backdated allowance this month!

Received £100 today from backdated marriage allowance from this April onwards..Not bad for very little work and still another extra £17 to come each month..
    In years gone by... 1970s..your wife could claim all your tax allowance if you were not working!

Member สมาชิก

Should bring back that rule! How long was it between phoning them up and getting your tax code changed?

About a month after phoning I got a revised tax code and then another month until the backdated allowance was paid..