Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Default Accommodation suitable when applying for Leave to Enter for Settlement.

Hi everyone. I am getting ready to apply for Leave to Enter with a Spouse visa for my wife. We have everything covered in terms of proofs of time together (6 years), and the all-important finances - combination of pension and savings. I am in the middle of selling my house in the UK (had to pay off interest-only mortgage coming to full term), and i will then go back to Thailand for at least 6 months. We will then make the settlement application. My only worry is about what counts as Accommodation for that application. I don't want to buy or rent a place in the UK and then have to worry about it for over 6 months. So my question is : can i name a Friend offering a room in his house as where we would first stay while we looked for something else, (or not mention looking for somewhere else) - not a Relative as there are none left i could now ask. Has anyone done this and if so what did you provide as evidence of the room and of the Friend's willingness ? I'm guessing a letter stating his offer, and some proof he owns his place etc. I'm also guessing that he might get a phone-call from UKBA ? Any thoughts or stories about this idea gratefully received. If anyone could provide a link to the appropriate govt pages actually confirming that it's ok to name a friend rather than a relative offering the accommodation would be great.

Afterthought - are there any stories about UKBA or other govt agencies checking later that the UK/Thai couple are actually living where they said they would be on the application form ?
    Last edited by SingerSongwriter; 22nd Jun 2015 at 09:29. Reason: Afterthought.

'There must be suitable accommodation available , which you own or occupy ‘exclusively’ as a couple, though in this context exclusively means only that there is a bedroom for your exclusive use.
    You will need to satisfy the Home Office that the property is secure – that is, that you are not likely to become homeless – and that it is not statutorily overcrowded.'

I would imagine that your 'friend' would have to provide you with a form of tenancy agreement.

Your afterthought suggests you are not actually intending to stay in your friends...............

I understand the authorities do not check-up after a visa is granted. However, it may cause problems in the future when you apply for diffrent status and things/issues dont add up.
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Member สมาชิก

Thanks ian1208 - great stuff. I don't think a 'tenancy agreement' is needed however, unless the friend was actually charging rent - even if they were i would pay unofficially. I've just found a page from the UKBA, but the trouble is i never know what is up to date as they are always changing things! Here's the page - the most important part for me is Section 10, where it states that even one bedroom is adequate - https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-accommodation

I would still like to hear about peoples' real life experiences with this idea, please.

Member สมาชิก

Hi again - i just thought again about what you meant in - "Your afterthought suggests you are not actually intending to stay in your friends...............

I understand the authorities do not check-up after a visa is granted. However, it may cause problems in the future when you apply for different status and things/issues don't add up."

I don't think that's a problem, because it's understood that people landing in the UK often stay with friends or family only as a temporary measure while looking for a permanent home - so a change of address later shouldn't be an issue. Anyone disagree ?

Totally agree, people move. How can there be anything to say you must stay in the same property for as long as you are under visa conditions. It is just not practical.
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Member สมาชิก

Thanks Gary & Nok - may common sense win the day !

Member สมาชิก

When I moved back to the UK a few years ago with my Thai wife I had no place in the UK but my niece agreed willingly to put us up in her spare bedroom. (A friend also did the same) She wrote me a letter to that effect, I asked her to let me have a copy of her last mortgage statement to show she owned it. Also sent some photos of the house with the visa application and did a floor plan to show rooms and who would sleep where. Just what I thought at the time. Did the trick no problems, no calls from them and did in fact move out after two weeks as managed to rent a flat for us both.

Member สมาชิก

Many thanks rawdonlad - there's nothing beats reports of actual experience !