Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Book Any Thai teachers available in Hertfordshire/North London?

Hello I have been trying to learn Thai for 18 months or so now. I had a teacher, but he has moved back to Thailand to teach over there, so I am looking for someone to take their place. I have all sorts of learning material, but I feel without a teacher I am not really progressing.

Can anyone recommend a teacher? I am based in Barnet, North London, but willing to travel.

I know about Thai-style, but I don't feel as if I fit any of their categories (I'm probably inbetween a couple of them), and I don't really want to pay £80 for material I probably won't use.

Thank you

Mark

Hi Mark

As you're in north London, have you considered the Thai language evening courses offered at the University of London School of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS)?

I took my first Thai lessons there many years ago and was impressed with the quality of the teaching by Thai SOAS postgrads and the course materials (David Smyth is an academic at SOAS and has written many well-known published Thai language learning books and CDs).

Tom

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

I did evening classes at SOAS and was not impressed. The beginners' classes were in the autumn, intermediate in spring and advanced in the summer. I signed up for the beginners' classes in the autumn, but most of the students in that class were advanced eg there was a chap who had grown up in Thailand, he had gone to international schools where he studied in English, but he could speak and read Thai to a large extent. There was a girl whose parents lived in Thailand and she had spent a lot of time there. (Most were SOAS undergraduates in other subjects, who can attend such evening classes free or for very little cost.)
    The first evening there was a chap reading a Thai newspaper.

These people signed up for the beginners' class because they did not want to wait for the advanced one and because it cost them little or nothing. The teacher pitched the level of her teaching at these people, although it was meant to be a begiiners' class. In the first class she told me that I would have to "catch up"!

Maybe I was just unlucky, but I would advise anyone thinking of signing up to raise this with SOAS first and check that they will pitch the class at beginners.

Rookie มือใหม่

Quote Originally Posted by Tom & Nok View Post
    Hi Mark

As you're in north London, have you considered the Thai language evening courses offered at the University of London School of Oriental & African Studies (SOAS)?

I took my first Thai lessons there many years ago and was impressed with the quality of the teaching by Thai SOAS postgrads and the course materials (David Smyth is an academic at SOAS and has written many well-known published Thai language learning books and CDs).

Tom
    I would actually love to do the SOAS course, my beginner teaching was done with the David Smyth books and I found them really good. Unfortunately though I do shift work, so I can't attend a course which is at a fixed time, ideally I would like some 121 tuition if possible.

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

I wouldn't write off Thai Style. I'm in a similar position to you as in I'm kind of in between their levels. Drop them an email and explain your situation. They'll find you a teacher who can accommodate you. You will get assessed on your first free lesson, then the teacher will tailor your lessons accordingly. I find their materials, when used in this fashion, to be very good. I've made a lot of progress in the areas that I was struggling with; tone rules mainly, and handwriting which I have found has improved my retention of vocabulary. It seems that writing things down, for me, helps them to stick in my memory.
    I hope you find what you're looking for.
    I also do shift work, so I like the fact that I can arrange the lessons week by week to suit my work patterns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Rookie มือใหม่

Quote Originally Posted by bifftastic View Post
    I wouldn't write off Thai Style. I'm in a similar position to you as in I'm kind of in between their levels. Drop them an email and explain your situation. They'll find you a teacher who can accommodate you. You will get assessed on your first free lesson, then the teacher will tailor your lessons accordingly. I find their materials, when used in this fashion, to be very good. I've made a lot of progress in the areas that I was struggling with; tone rules mainly, and handwriting which I have found has improved my retention of vocabulary. It seems that writing things down, for me, helps them to stick in my memory.
    I hope you find what you're looking for.
    I also do shift work, so I like the fact that I can arrange the lessons week by week to suit my work patterns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Interesting, thanks for that. I'll drop them a line. The problem with the free lesson is that you still have to pay for the material that may or may not be useful, I would be happier to pay for a lesson and then tailor my learning with the teacher, rather than beforehand. But I will give them a go.

Member สมาชิก

Hi Moomin, Please feel free to drop us a line so we can chat about your needs and aims.

We provide much more than just a teacher and want to ensure you have everything you need to learn together effectively. Therefore, you need to register first before you can meet a teacher for the following reasons;

- Many of our freelance teachers travel to teach at your home or office. Of these teachers, many are young females who are obviously concerned about their safety when meeting a stranger. Our registration system therefore provides our team of teachers with a certain amount of security knowing you have registered with us and you are serious about learning Thai language.

- Registration ensures we get you off to the best start and provides you with access to all the learning materials that you will use during a trial lesson and throughout your learning experience. Therefore, after you register, you can meet your teacher for a free trial lesson and better judge the course materials, tuition and services and how they will benefit and help you to learn Thai.

- At any point you can request to meet another teacher. Move location and continue learning the same course where you left off. Consistent lessons with different teachers across the UK and Thailand with lifetime access.

- We aim to provide an affordable and efficient system to learn Thai and easy access our services and teachers. With nearly 800 teachers we have developed and refined our online registration system over the last 8 years for ease of management in order to support local teachers and provide you with an affordable but very effective method to learn Thai.

- Lastly, we want to ensure your teacher is trained and ready for your class before you meet them. Our registration system helps us and your teacher to prepare for your class.

Lastly, we do not want to charge for a service if we cannot help you. Therefore, we have a money back guarentee on registration fees within our terms and conditions.

I hope this helps you to better understand why we have a registration fee in place so we can help you learn effectively with local teachers. Please read more on our website, check out our FAQs page and the example learning materials. Let me know if you have any further questions and we hope you would like to start soon.

Rookie มือใหม่

That's fair enough - I will drop you a line.