Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Poor English Speakers in Buriram these days???

Sitting in a bar in Buriram recently, a rather inebriated young man in his late 20's/early 30's came up to me and introduced himself - this guy had a very strong Scottish accent.

I asked him what he did for work to which he replied "I'm an English teacher"

LOL I have a Kiwi work colleague who has some opinions about the English ability of your average aussie

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

Having a Scottish accent does not mean that the person speaks or writes poorly. A Scottish person might object to a teacher with an English or Welsh accent. ESOL teachers are sometimes from non English speaking countries. Many people learn to speak English with an American accent. American English is spoken by more people than UK English.

An ESOL teacher used to post on here "We was", "you was" and other examples of poor English. These were not typos. That is more worrying: his English was poor.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Maybe it's my accent but I'm failing to see the hilarity in your post Flip.

Is the joke that a Scottish accent makes a person a poor speaker of the english language?

I think it might be interesting see if any of his learners developed the accent of the teacher. I notice many Pilipino English speakers seem to have American accents.

If that was their only source of learning I think they would Linne. My kids could't speak any English when they came here but now have Scottish accents when speaking English.

I think a lot of the American accents are picked up learning English from movies/TV/music.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

The US has a much bigger population than the UK. In the past, the UK exported its influence and the English language because of its empire, the industrial revolution etc Now the US is far more powerful in terms of its power and military bases around the world.

The US film industry, TV programmes, pop music, Microsoft and Apple mean that US English is more prevalent. The Philippines have been heavily influenced by the US and there were huge US bases there so it is natural that Filipinos speak with a US accent, rather than an English, Scottish or Welsh one and use US terms like "windshield" instead of "windscreen." Europeans might learn UK English, but the UK is a huge distance from the Philippines and probably means nothing to Filipinos, apart from Harry Potter maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    Is the joke that a Scottish accent makes a person a poor speaker of the english language?
    English is spelt with a capital E.

Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings but I suppose the answer is yes? I can understand people from London, The West Country, Liverpool, Newcastle etc. etc. with strong accents but I struggle to understand a strong Scots accent and often have to ask the speaker to repeat what they said. How non 'Brits' cope with a strong Scots accent I know not but F.Y.I, after said 'English' teacher spoke to me, my girlfriend commented that she didn't understand a word and asked which country he came from.

In no way is this a criticism of the Scots accent per se but it is a criticism of the ability of a person to teach English if they speak with such an accent in class. I can speak with a very broad North Yorkshire accent - so much so that I doubt many natives of Yorkshire could understand me. However, I can also speak the Queen's English and that is what I would use if I was teaching English to foreigners. I would never use a strong Yorkshire accent when addressing those who's first language is other than English - but I often hear others doing so.

Having said that, I have to admit that it is quite possible that said teacher also speaks the Queen's English in class and thus we could see applications for the next jobs offered by BBC News coming from natives of Buriram.

It was just amusing at the time he told me he was an English teacher - it would have been equally amusing if he'd had a strong Scouse or Geordie accent (or any other strong accent). My amusement was not at the expense of his accent as such, it was the thought of him 'och the noo'ing in class and the reaction of the pupils together with the thought of those pupils subsequently speaking with a Scots accent.
    Last edited by Flip; 24th Aug 2015 at 02:42.

I met with the head of an English program school who had altered his accent because, as he said no one could understand his NI accent I was sure he was from the south of Ireland. Many years ago in Toronto I bumped into an old scouser who'd lived there for over twenty years. After several beers he sounded like he hadn't left Liverpool at all, God knows what his wife thought when he turned up rather late and somewhat intoxicated with a strong scouse accent.
    Happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by Big AL View Post
    American English is spoken by more people than UK English.
    Do you have any evidence to substantiate that claim.

American English is spoken predominately in the good ol' U S of A..... and there are more people outside of it that speak English English in one why shape or form, and as the vast majority of Americans don't even own a passport, American English stays in America.

Eventually they will use kilometres, litres and centigrade too......... eventually.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    I met with the head of an English program school who had altered his accent because, as he said no one could understand his NI accent I was sure he was from the south of Ireland. Many years ago in Toronto I bumped into an old scouser who'd lived there for over twenty years. After several beers he sounded like he hadn't left Liverpool at all, God knows what his wife thought when he turned up rather late and somewhat intoxicated with a strong scouse accent.
    Happy days!
    Ay la, stop startin' or on yer lallies.

I would probably agree that in the past it was Americans that had a greater influence of teaching English simply because of the Vietnam war and their bases (R&R) dotted around the country.
    The yanks were pretty good at setting up schools for the natives. The Philippines had a big influence in the early 80's when they stepped in for the Yanks. Then, the Aussies came along............
    The British teaching English in the numbers that occur today is purely a phenomenon of cheap holidays and guys wanting to stay in Thailand. I am not confusing a person teaching English with a 'proper' teacher.
    Just my humble opinion.
    If you google, even a Thai would see this;

Queen's English
    noun
    unpunctuated: Queens English; noun: Queen's English

• the English language as written and spoken correctly by educated people in Britain.
      "they were reciting the words faultlessly in the Queen's English"

So its no wonder that everyone living east of Delhi thinks London is England/UK

Don't they say a Yorkshireman is the closest thing an Englishman can get to being a Scotsman?
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

It is also about time that Microsoft stopped setting (US) English as their default dictionary in everything they make.

Outside of the States it is far more common to see an O.E.D. or a Collins over a Merriam-Webster.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    English is spelt with a capital E.
    If you had read my next post in the thread you'd have seen I'm aware of that but maybe you could help me with some others? Am I spelling 'condescending' and 'patronising' correctly?

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    I asked him what he did for work to which he replied "I'm an English teacher"
    You could pick apart some of Flip's sentences for (lack of) punctuation, Scot. Hit him where it hurts!

Has anyone ever said 'Och aye the noo'? I've only ever seen it in comics. I'd love to hear it in reality.

Blog Entries

I just saw this video on my sisters FB and thought of this thread (admittedly from 2011 and 12, but new to me). Keep these Thai kids away from the Scots teachers

Last edited by i_hate_theo; 24th Aug 2015 at 19:29.

Oh dear, some people do get upset about the silliest of things........reet then, aam off, gorra gerrup at sparra fart int mornin. Dunt get sa bloody nithered int future tha silli ass. Cant tha tek a joke or what?