Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default What are my visa options please?

Hi.

I'm hoping somebody can help me with my options regarding my girlfriends trips to the UK.

We met in January this year and I made a further two trips to Thailand before applying for a visitor visa which runs out on the 12th December. My family like her almost as much as I do and they asked her to stay for Christmas but as far as I can see that simply isn’t an option. It may have to wait until next year.

She will have been here for three months and we are going back to Thailand on 11th October and I will be staying for a further two weeks and we will be looking at premises to possibly set her up in a small business and we will be buying a couple of rai of land near her family over the coming months with the intention of building a house in the future. She seems to think that buying land can be completed in a week or so in Thailand. Anybody know if a land sale is done that quickly in Thailand please? I can’t help feeling that a recent purchase of land in Thailand will help in her reasons to return for any future visa application assuming we stay with the visitor visa route.

I have financed her trip to the UK and she has a 13 year old who her sister looks after and I occasionally chip in for school uniforms or football boots but it hasn’t been a big and ongoing financial burden at all.

Can you give me an idea of our options please so that she can stay in the UK for longer? The long term plan will be to spend eight months of the year in Thailand and four in the UK. That may change a little to six months in Thailand and six months in the UK.

TIA.

Blog Entries

In total, how many days has your girlfriend sent in the UK during the validity of the existing visitor visa?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    a visitor visa which runs out on the 12th December......................
    She will have been here for three months and we are going back to Thailand on 11th October
    A Visitor Visa lasts for six months, what dates are printed on the visa? If she's been here for 3 months on the 11th of October, does she not have another 3 months after that? that would take her past Christmas.

As for the land, you were successful in this application without it, why do you think it would be of any benefit in any future applications?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

There have been posts on this and other forums where visit visas have been denied when a girlfriend has started to come to the UK on a regular basis every other six months for a six month visit.Immigration officers have argued the visitor is simply living in the UK by a back door method..even though they have been following immigration rules..
    But if you want her to do that why not apply for a multi visit visa for 2 or 5 or 10 years..I tend to think that those visit visas may be more for family visits or for business people ..?

Banned

If Rasg girlfriends Tourist Visa expires on 12/12 (post #1 above) then it was Issued and Valid from 12/06 for the standard 6 months validity of a UK Tourist Visa. After returning to Thailand on 11/10 just apply for a 2nd 6 month long Tourist Visa to cover her next UK visit, no problem.

My Thai "girlfriend" applied for for Tourist Visa to cover her two visits to the UK, Sept + Oct 2014 and Dec 2014 + Jan 2015 but OUR "useless" British Embassy in Bangkok issued a 6 month Tourist Visa that expired on Christmas Day 2014? In other words it was Issued on 25/06/2014. Consequently, my now wife (we married in Thailand in Nov 2014 ) applied for a 2nd Visa that despite me and her stipulating that it should NOT be Issued until AFTER 14/11/2014 (for a planned return to Thailand on 14th May 2015) it was Issued on 12/11/2014 thus forcing me to change 2 flight tickets ( for my wife and her daughter) so as not overstay in the UK. I did change their flight tickets to avoid any possible problems with their subsequent Settlement Visa applications which were successfully achieved in June 2015.

My my wife came to the UK for Dec 2014 + Jan 2015 on this 2nd Tourist Visa (having earlier come to UK on her 1st Tourist Visa for Sept 2014 + Oct 2014 ) then again visited the UK (3rd Tourist visit) from March 2015 to May 2015 on the same 2nd Tourist Visa.

So, no problem for Rasg girlfriend to be in the UK for Christmas 2015. Just be careful with dates as The British Embassy are useless in adhering to requested Visa validation dates requested in your girlfriends Tourist Visa application. As soon as the application is processed within the Embassy the Visa is Issued and becomes IMMEDIATELY the start date of the 6 months Visa even if you have another UK visit planned later and want to use this same Visa for this 2nd (or 3rd or 4th or 5th etc) UK visit by your girlfriend.

and we will be buying a couple of rai of land near her family over the coming months with the intention of building a house in the future.

TIA.
    Do you understand the implications of this? As a foreigner you cannot own land in Thailand so everything has to be bought in a Thai citizen's name. Secondly, you will have to sign a form stating that the money used to buy the land is your girlfriend's and you will not make any claim on that land in the future. In essence, you have no legal claim on any land owned by anybody in Thailand. The only exception is when a wife leaves land to her husband upon her death but even then you are required to sell that land - in either 6 or 12 months, can't remember which. Property can often take years to sell in Thailand so even in that scenario, you could end up in a forced sale situation and lose thousands.

Many think they have found a way around the Thai land laws and have lived in Thailand for years on that assumption. They will probably never have a problem but if the proverbial hits the fan at sometime in the future, for whatever reason - things can and do, change drastically.

Also when investing your hard earned - remember that should you die, your relatives in the UK will not inherit any part of the land you have either given away or think you own.

You met your girlfriend just 8 months ago and you are already thinking of taking these steps? As has been said here many, many times.................SLOW DOWN!!!! You've probably read all the stories but your girlfriend is 'different' - she may well be but if this all goes pear shaped, you'll be 'different' too - a good few grand lighter 'different'.

I am not saying that you shouldn't invest in a home in Thailand - I have - I'm just saying, take it easy or be prepared to lose your investment if things go wrong.

Many thanks for all the information.

I do understand the implications of buying land that I cannot own but it isn’t a fortune and i can afford to lose it, if that should happen. I have nobody in the UK that I feel the urge to leave any money to. My family are all pretty well off, but I do get the slowing down bit.

There will be a couple of years between buying the land and doing anything with it. I am going into this with my eyes wide open and the deal is that if she buys a rai I will pay half. Buy one and I will pay for the second. it's my family who have suggested that I simply marry her.

As far as the visa is concerned, I didn't realise that she could apply for a tourist visa while another was in effect. The existing runs from the 22nd June to the 22nd December 2015. She arrived on the 1st July and we will leave for Thailand late between the 12th and the 20th October when I will spend a couple of weeks in Thailand. We haven't changed our flights yet. It will mean that she will have spent three and a half months here in the UK.

Reading Lipboys story about dates etc I went back to check what I asked for, Visa wise for the current visa. The request was for a month from the 1st July 2015. It was granted and she picked it up from VFS on the 22nd June.
    Her appointment was on the 11th June and they dated the visa from the 12th June. How bizarre. A little like you, Lipboy, if they had done what was requested she could have stayed for Christmas but she would have been rushing home before New Year. If they had really done what was requested she would have had a visa for the month of July and that would have been that so I can't complain. Despite the poor weather we have had a wonderful summer.

Any more feedback or suggestions welcome!

re the land purchase ? just make sure you are paying a fair price. Farang money seems to have a unique odour and has a nasty habit of inflating prices.

I do understand the implications of buying land that I cannot own but it isn’t a fortune and i can afford to lose it,
    That's fine then - as you only joined this forum in June, I had no way of knowing what knowledge you had of Thailand and its laws.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Thanks for the information. In the financial sense having read so many stories about ferang being fleeced I have been very fortunate so far and I hope it continues. A pair of football boots for her son's birthday ended up being a new school uniform which was needed more and then the girlfriend bought him some herself on his birthday. She paid for a new bathroom (with a roof!) for her dad but fell short a little and I paid for the floor tiles. That is it so far apart from flights and general incidentals since she has been in the UK. I would do that for any girlfriend no matter what her nationality.

Probably should be in another thread but the Nike boots ended up with a few bent studs after a couple of weeks, and they were bought in a big department store. Like many Thai people when it comes to complaining about shoddy goods or service she is dragging her feet and I don't think she will take them back. I may do it for her when we get back. How do you guarantee getting genuine Nike in Thailand?

How do you guarantee getting genuine Nike in Thailand?
    Buy it in England and take it there
    I'm ONE of the 52%

That's what I thought somebody say, sadly. The problem is that the feet that need the boots are in Thailand and getting the right size is a lottery.

...and getting the right size is a lottery.
    Have you never heard of measurement?

Measure the feet, length and width, and work out the size.

or

Draw around the Thai foot and post a picture with the measurements on it. Cut it out and fit it inside until you find the right size.

Plenty of options if you want to get pucker Nike. Either that or just take pot luck on a Thai one being genuine.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Or get them to try on a fake note the size and covert to UK size
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Blog Entries

... better still go to an established authorised sales agent and try an original pair on and either buy there or buy the same size in the UK.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Doh! I do complicate things sometimes

An Engineers brain at work
    I'm ONE of the 52%