Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member สมาชิก

Default registering a baby born in England as Thai/dual citizen

I had a few questions regarding registering our baby daughter with the Thai authoritys.
    I've been ringing the Thai embassy in London for a couple of weeks now and no one is picking up - waited on hold for half an hour today then the call was automatically terminated. several e-mails have gone un answered too. Does anyone know if this is normal or are there any particular problems at the moment?
    Anyway, perhaps some one here can help; do all birth certificates have to be legalised by the fco before submitting to the Embasssy, or is this just for births before march 1992?

Do they retain all birth certificates or again, is this just those before 1992?

The fco website says they will send the legalised certificate direct to the Thai embassy by courier, but the Thai embassy website is vague about returning the documents by courier - anyone done this or is it a case of all documents have to be submitted in person at the Thai embassy regardless of what the fco are saying?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

Yes, the Thai embassy in London is casual about answering phones and emails?

Are you in the UK now? If so, it might be worth visiting the embassy.

I don't quite follow what you say. Staff at the Thai embassy in London can read English. I don't see where the FCO come in.

Perhaps you could expand.

We are in the UK.

My wife says that she printed off the form from the Thai embassy website. We visited the embassy and we got the Thai birth certificate at the same time as we applied for the Thai passport. This was 3 years and ten months ago. The form sets out the requirements (including British birth certificate, photos, ID documents for the mother). The FCO is not involved in the UK.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm a little confused about what you're trying to do too? I'm guessing your baby is already registered with a British birth certificate & you now want to obtain a Thai birth cert & passport too?

I thought you all (both parents & baby) had to attend the Thai embassy in person to obtain the Thai birth certificate? I'm sure that was the case when we were looking into it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member สมาชิก

thanks big al and toddmeister for the replies. we are living in England and yes, baby was born and registered in England with a British birth certificate this Feb. when my wife was in Thailand this summer she tried to register the baby with the Thai authorities, but they wouldn't accept the British birth certificate because it wasn't "legalised" by the fco in England. the fco website,
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial...e-for-thailand states the relevant documents have to be sent to Milton Keynes for legalisation, from there, they can be sent by courier to the Thai embassy. On the Thai embassy website I read that the legalised birth certificate can be processed then returned by courier if we arrange the courier ourselves.
    Maybe this process is only necessary when presenting documents in Thailand, I've given up trying to get clarification from the Thai embassy.
    We are trying to get our baby a Thai birth certificate/duel citizenship, partly so she can inherit property in Thailand and partly because my wife is convinced she will get some sort of child benefit from the Thai authorities.
    Is it a case that I should forget all about legalisation and couriers and just go to the Thai embassy with wife and baby, present the British birth certificate, fill out their forms, pay the fees and go home?

I'm interested in this too so I've looked at the Thai Embassy website page for Thai birth certificates. It seems that you can obtain a Thai birth certificate for your daughter if you all visit the Thai Embassy in London together:

"Register a Birth (Thai Birth Certificate)

1. Register a Birth
    1. Birth certificate registeration does not require an appoinment,however,if you wish to apply for an e-passport for your child on the same day an appointment is required.
    2. The child, father and mother are required in person at Royal Thai Embassy, London.
    3. To register for a Thai birth certificate, the child has to have been born in the UK/Ireland and
    have a UK/Ireland Full Birth Certificate.
    4. Registrations of births are free of charge.
    Remarks: If the child was born before 1st March, 1992 (B.E. 2535), please see 3.4

2. Application Forms

1. A fully-completed Birth Certificate form; sample of Birth Certificate form
    If applying for a passport for your child on the same day as registering the birth, additional forms below are required;
    2. Form1 – Request for a new e-passport Sample Form1
    3. Form2 – Investigation (application information) Sample Form2

3. Required Documents

3.1 If the child’s parents are married.
    1. A recent (2 x2 inches) photograph of the child
    2. A photocopy of UK/Irish Full Birth Certificate.
    3. A photocopy of Parents' Marriage Certificate.
    4. A photocopy of Parents’ Valid Passports.
    5. A photocopy of Parents’ Thai Identity Cards or Thai House Registration.
    Remarks: If wishing to apply for an e-passport for the child on the same day, please prepare 2 copies of all the above document."

So, no need for your daughter's UK birth certificate to be legalised by the FCO, and no need for an appointment for the Thai birth certificate, although I'd advise turning up early at the Thai Embassy with the paperwork as it gets very busy there. No birth certificate registration fee either.

Hope this helps.
    "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Member สมาชิก

Thanks for the info Tom & Nok. Do you know if, once the Thai embassy have issued the Thai birth certificate, this is automatically recorded in Thailand, or is there a further process that has to be done in Thailand itself?

My wife says that it is not automatically registered in Thailand. You would need to do this in the Ampur. But this is not necessary unless the child is going to live in Thailand and can be left until that time. (That is what my wife says.)

Blog Entries

Can I jump onto this thread with a quick question..

A child born in the UK to British & Thai parents, and obtains a Thai birth certificate can they then get a Thai passport?

If they then have both birth certificate and passport will that child (male) be subject to Thai national service?

Cheers
    Ally
    "Don't buy the sun"

Yes, they can get a Thai Passport and at the age of 7 they should also get a Thai ID Card. If male they could be subject to the Thai National Service (lottery).

Member สมาชิก

Big AL 's last post brings me back to my original problem then. Will the amphur in Thailand accept the Thai birth certificate as is, thus getting round the need for the "legalisation " process from fco on a British birth certificate? My wife wants to add our daughter onto her tabien bahn. Also, as I mentioned earlier, wifey is convinced she will be entitled to some kind of Thai child benefit from the Thai government. will this require registering at the amphur in Thailand, or will this be activated by registering the birth at the Thai embassy in London? can anyone shed some light on that? cheers.

I am sure that the Ampur will accept the birth certificate issued by the Thai embassy. I have no experience of this, but there would be no point in the Thai embassy issuing Thai birth certificates if they were not accepted in Thailand. (They are not accepted anywhere else without a certified translation.) They are Thai birth certificates.

(My wife says that there is no child benefit in Thailand. I have no knowledge of the Thai benefits system, but that is what my wife says.)
    Last edited by Big AL; 3rd Nov 2015 at 19:55.

Member สมาชิก

when wifey was in Bangkok over the summer, she went to her local ampur. she tells me that she was given a form to fill in for applying for this "child benefit" by an official. The official wouldn't accept this form without a legalised birth certificate. whether this is a case of crossed wires/ miss understanding remains to be seen. will report back when/if I get to the bottom of it.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Hello people, been a while since I posted on here but wife and I are expecting our first baby!!! We will therefore probably want to register the birth at the Thai Embassy and get Thai birth certificate. Two questions :-

1. Under required documents I see that my wife's Thai ID Card will be required. Does it matter if it is expired (she hasn't been back to Thailand for a few years so has been unable to renew)? Or should she renew the card on the same day perhaps, would that even be logistical?

2. Does it matter how long after the birth we wait to get the birth registered? E.g. would it be a problem if it was over a year later (it probably wouldn't be over a year but just checking anyway)

Any thoughts/opinions greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Member สมาชิก

I think the benefit being mention is the one that I think it was introduced November 2015 (or around that time but certainly after the end of September 2015 ) that stated that all children born after that date would be given something like 600 baht per month to help purchase milk and essentials.

I have no websites to prove this but I know that my baby was born something like 6 weeks too early but a friend had a baby the following April and receives it.

Member สมาชิก

I've only just realised this thread is 2 years old.

However I have just asked my friend and it's 400 baht per month until the child is 6.

Thai ID cards are issued on the same day as the appointment. You'll need to book an appointment on the Embassy website, print the applications form and fill it in. You'll be able to register the birth at the same time.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Thanks for the info guys.

Doggsy, does that 400B a month apply to British/Thai dual national children born/residing in the UK? That sounds slightly dubious mate. Is that claimed at the same time as registering the birth?... Is that the Thai authorities who pay out?

Keith I think we will most likely do exactly that, book an appointment for a Thai ID card for wifey and register baby at the same time/same day. We may also get them both passports the same day if logistical, as I think most people do this?

If the baby is a boy (we won't know til the birth) is the possibility of being called up for national service a deterrent in registering the birth? Though to be honest a bit of service may do the lad some good ....

Mol made an appointment last week for her ID. She also needed her passport renewed, which they dealt with without a separate appointment.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Member สมาชิก

Gavva - Now that I don't know as my mate still lives in Thailand and although I've moved back to England my kids are slightly to old for me to claim it. I was just putting in info for MarvinPie and BigAl as I hadn't realised it was from 2015.

but yeah it's the thai authorities that pay it out. Straight in to a bank account I think.