Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member สมาชิก

Apologies for feedback so late re. thai "child benefit", to be honest, I forgot all about it. Here's what I know;
    After our daughter was born in uk, feb. 2015, we registered the birth at the Thai embassey in London and got a Thai passport and a Thai birth certificate. Our daughter is now dual Nationality. Apparently ID cards are not issued until children are 7 years old.
    Wife sent a copy of the Thai birth certificate to her dad in Bangkok. He got a form from a local government tax office, (different to Amphur, but apperently there are lots of them), then returned the completed form, (technically supposed to be completed by the parent applying for benefit), along with my wife's ID card.
    Wife says she gets approximately 450 Bahts paid into her bank account every month.
    Apperently this is all part of Prakan sangkhm - a form of Thai social security. My wife still pays 500 baht per month into this social security as it entitles her to medical care while in Thailand. She thinks the "child benefit" is only paid if the parent is making contributions into the system. Hope this is of some use.
    Just noticed in an earlier post mention of this benefit being paid to all children. We applied for ours in July 2015, so it could well be that the requirement for a parent to pay into the system has been dropped now, and that all children are eligible.
    Last edited by marvinpie; 25th Feb 2017 at 16:44.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Hi guys, hope you're all good.

Just picking up on this thread.... still planning on going to the Thai Embassy in London towards the end of the year to register my daughters birth (had a little girl back in March!!!). I gave the Thai Embassy a call and after about 10 attempts managed to get through to a human. Although she kept telling me to read the website, which I find a little unclear, I managed to get some info out of her. She said my wife's Thai passport needs to be valid to register my sprog's birth. It is expired and we were not intending to renew it until a visit to Thailand in a year or so.

My question is - Does anyone know if my wife wanted to renew her passport would it be dealt with and issued on the same day/during the appointment, or is it perhaps couriered at a later date? If the passport is issued on teh day of appointment would this mean we could logistically then register my daughter's birth/passport etc on the same day/same trip?

Any advice/input most welcome, as I don't fancy trying to call the embassy again and it doesn't state on teh site if passports are issued on the same day. Cheers chaps

Hi again, been reading up on this some more, read on another thread that the waiting period after applying to renew a passport is 4 to 6 weeks, so no, looks like passports are not issued as you wait (didn't think they would be but ya never know). The thread is very old but I imagine the process is still very much the same.

So this means the process of registering my daughters birth and getting her a Thai passport means a separate trip to London beforehand just to renew my wife's passport (as the wife's passport is necessary documentation I understand). Great.....

They post the passport. Mol's arrived after about two weeks (last year)
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Oi oi peeps. Happy New Year and hope everyone's well. Aaaaaand another follow up to this old thread.

The wife and I are still wanting to register our daughters birth and get her a Thai passport in London at the embassy and we have finally sorted transport/hotels etc to do this in March. My wife got her new Thai ID card and a new Thai passport when we visited the motherland last October/November so we are more or less up to date with the required documents.

My next (and likely final) question re this is, when applying for a Thai passport the Thai Embassy website states that a required document is the applicant's Thai ID card (it states this on the page when booking an appointment)...
    - A. My daughter doesn't have an ID Card as she resides in the UK
    - B. Am I correct in thinking that ID Cards are not issued in Thailand until the child is 7? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

So can my daughter apply for her first Thai passport without having her own Thai ID Card? I have tried contacting the Embassy to ask directly but of course, nowt response.

Huge thanks for any input/suggestions. Nearly there with all this.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Wonders never cease. About an hour after posting the above message the Embassy actually replied to a Facebook message I sent them asking the same thing. They have confirmed that Thai ID Cards are not issued until age 7 and so my daughter will not need this to apply for her first Thai passport - cool! I thought this would be the case but am glad it has been confirmed.

Member สมาชิก

Wow! Not like the embassy to reply to anything.

From what I remember about 3 years ago. We made an appointment online to register birth and do passport for my daughter at same time.
    They will take a photo of your child and then take a fingerprint which becomes their signature for the passport.

On the same topic, can anyone tell me approximately how long it takes to go through the process of birth registration and passport application at the Thai Embassy, London? We have a 9am appointment and I want to have a mooch about London after so was wondering what time we may actually get out of the embassy. Many thanks

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not sure about the birth side of things but we renewed my wifes passport at the Embassy a couple of years ago. We had an appointment too but it was a bit of a free-for-all when we arrived with little organisation. As you would expect it took a long time before we were sorted