Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member สมาชิก

Hi

Kate and I were talking at the weekend about our intended marriage later this year in Bangkok. She’d like to change her surname to mine and we decided it would be a good idea if I did some investigation on this website about how to go about it, how long it would take to do etc

Now I know there’s already lots of information of this subject in other threads and honestly I have searched through it and found out a great deal already! However it did leave me with a couple of questions!

From the other threads it seems we need to change her name on the house registration (Tabian Bahn) and her id card and we can do these at the district office when we register our marriage (it’ll be Kate’s local office). Then we need to do Kate’s passport.

Our first question is about the passport. Kate already has a passport. Will she need to get a new one or is it just a change to her old one? Any idea how long this takes? I guess if it’s a new passport it’ll be the same 2 or 3 days as the last one but if it’s just a change to the existing one can it be done in the same day?

We want to leave as much time during the trip for Kate’s settlement visa application as possible to give as much chance as possible of her coming back to the UK with me at the end of my trip. OK it wouldn’t be the end of the world if she travelled later but it would be nice to come back together!

The second question is related which is if we postpone changing Kate’s surname on her documents but she uses my surname in the UK can anyone think of any practical problems?

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble and thanks for any help!!

David

Member สมาชิก

Hi

Kate and I were talking at the weekend about our intended marriage later this year in Bangkok. She’d like to change her surname to mine and we decided it would be a good idea if I did some investigation on this website about how to go about it, how long it would take to do etc

Now I know there’s already lots of information of this subject in other threads and honestly I have searched through it and found out a great deal already! However it did leave me with a couple of questions!

From the other threads it seems we need to change her name on the house registration (Tabian Bahn) and her id card and we can do these at the district office when we register our marriage (it’ll be Kate’s local office). Then we need to do Kate’s passport.

Our first question is about the passport. Kate already has a passport. Will she need to get a new one or is it just a change to her old one? Any idea how long this takes? I guess if it’s a new passport it’ll be the same 2 or 3 days as the last one but if it’s just a change to the existing one can it be done in the same day?

We want to leave as much time during the trip for Kate’s settlement visa application as possible to give as much chance as possible of her coming back to the UK with me at the end of my trip. OK it wouldn’t be the end of the world if she travelled later but it would be nice to come back together!

The second question is related which is if we postpone changing Kate’s surname on her documents but she uses my surname in the UK can anyone think of any practical problems?

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble and thanks for any help!!

David

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ johnb's Avatar

We changed Mam's name to mine in her old passport. They put a stamp in it confirming her married name. We went to the passport office in Bang-Na and it was quick and easy, same day. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs at Chaeng Wattana is fantastically well-organised if that is more convenient for you.

It is far more difficult and time-consuming to do these things here in Portugal. Give me Thailand every time!!

Good luck.

JohnB
    nao faz mal means mai pen rai

Blog Entries

Because of the time constraints you mention, why not leave all the Thai side name changes for a future visit?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

We are going to wait until later. It makes the SV application simpler to leave names as they are. If you want to do the name changes before visa application, you will need to have the TB tests done after such a a name change, as if you do the TB test before, the name on the certificate will not match the name on the passport.

There are so many things that need to match we thought it best to leave any name changes needed to a later date!

David

I have very recent experience of this process having completed Fon's SV application in January 07. You are correct that you need to change Kate's surname on the Tabien Bahn and ID card at an amphur in the district where Kate is registered. You can then apply for a new passport at the MOFA in Bangkok which takes 2-3 days. We went on Tues morning and collected the passport 9.00am on Thursday. Another tip - get your English translation of the Thai marriage certificate stamped at MOFA - it saves hassle if you want to apply for a Schengen visa to visit Europe at a later date!

You can get the TB certificate done either before or after you change surname. When we applied - the TB certificate was in Fon's maiden name and this didn't cause any problem(I checked with the Embassy first). It didn't make a difference at Heathrow immigration either.

You should be able to complete the process in few days, hand in the SV application - and go and lie on the beach for 3 days while it is processed. We handed in our application on the Thursday luchtime and picked up the visa and file on Tuesday first thing. We packed all this in to a 17 day trip with plenty of time to visit the family twice and visit Hua Hin!

Every application is different and I don't know your circumstances, but if you are well prepared - it is pretty stright forward.

Best of luck with your wedding plans and application!

Nick and Fon
    A bad day's fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Later for us too on next trip but have a UK Marriage cert so one less thing to do for Shengen
    colin 244 & Dao

Originally posted by Nick1810:

You can get the TB certificate done either before or after you change surname. When we applied - the TB certificate was in Fon's maiden name and this didn't cause any problem(I checked with the Embassy first). It didn't make a difference at Heathrow immigration either.

Nick and Fon
    Thats interesting because the woman at the IOM told us quite the opposite, which is why we had the certificate and marriage and everything else done in her maiden name. I guess they all can't be right all of the time.

Member สมาชิก

If her passport is still valid for a decent length of time they will just fill in and stamp the change of name page, therefore she will have a passport with her married name and maiden name in it and one of them will match the name on the TB certificate so it shouldnt be a problem, but if she gets a new passport it could be a problem.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

I personally would get the name changes done before returning to the UK, as posted above as it is so simple and quick. If you don't do it then everything she applies for in the UK (bank a/c, NHI no etc. etc.) will be in her maiden name and then will have to be changed all over again.
    Lucky

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Lucky:
    If you don't do it then everything she applies for in the UK (bank a/c, NHI no etc. etc.) will be in her maiden name and then will have to be changed all over again.
    This is not correct.

As I have said many times in the forum, in order to prove a change of surname in the UK after marriage all the wife has to do is provide the marriage certificate (and the certified translation if not in English) to prove the change of surname.

This will apply to all business at the Embassy, the Home Office, Immigration Officers on arrival, ILR, Citizenship, National Insurance applications, banks, NHS and the lot.

So, as far as the UK is concerned, there is absolutely no urgency in following the Thai procedure to formally change the name in all the documents in Thailand.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

I bow to your knowledge of the law Tobias. However more and more we are being asked to show proof of identity, the most common being your passport. So unless you want to cart your certified marriage certificate around with you it is much easier to have everything in one name.
    Lucky

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Lucky:
    ... more and more we are being asked to show proof of identity, the most common being your passport. So unless you want to cart your certified marriage certificate around with you it is much easier to have everything in one name.
    Indeed
    Tobias - โทเบียส

However more and more we are being asked to show proof of identity, the most common being your passport. So unless you want to cart your certified marriage certificate around with you it is much easier to have everything in one name.
    Thats why you get it laminated

Skippy

From my point I am reluctant to change Nok's name to mine mainly (and this may seem stupid to some) because I tend to book my trips to LOS 11 months in advance so there is not really a good time to do it and I am sure doing so would cause problems with the name on the airline ticket once it has been issued.

Hopefully this will not be detrimental to her FLR/ILR as I believe that there is no legal reason that a lady should change her name to that of her husbands.

Nok is not overly concerned about having/not having my name, so it is one less hassle or am I asking for problems in the future?
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Tobias:
    ... As I have said many times in the forum, in order to prove a change of surname in the UK after marriage all the wife has to do is provide the marriage certificate (and the certified translation if not in English) to prove the change of surname...
    And this can be applied to airlines too - if you have married since the ticket was purchased and the wife has assumed the husband's surname, airlines will accept this. Look on their websites if you require more 'comfort'.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Thanks Tobias , knew I could rely on you to provide answer
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Member สมาชิก

Hi

Thanks everybody for the good advice! I guess the answer to change or not is up to everybody’s individual circumstances. It sounds to me like it’s a good idea to do it if we have time but if not there should be no real problem we just show the marriage certificate as proof of Kate’s new surname and sort it out on our next trip. We'll do it if we can but if not we won't worry.

Good advice about the Shengen visa and getting the translated marriage certificate stamped at MOFA though as Kate has relatives in France so we’ll definitely be going there!

Thanks again

David & Kate

I appreciate that this is not dealing with the OP's request for assistance (no disrespect intended), but such questions have always puzzled me. In that my wife is Thai and she has lived all of her life in Thailand.

When we got married, or even during the "Khongman(?)" thing before that, she was very much in charge. Sure, I'd researched things, not so much via T-UK (I couldn't access it via my work email address, or my then hotmail address and at the time I didn't have my own laptop - so it was a no-no), but got info via TV (Nick) and those I knew elsewhere.

The day after the buddhist ceremony, we went to the local amphur. My wife took control again. She had to, I didn't have a clue what was happening and I don't speak Thai. To relieve the boredom, I would play with the step-son or go to the local shop to get things photo-copied, as requested.

Eventually, the printer spewed out our wedding certificates. Ooy then went to another line for the name change. We gave up. Not a lot was happening and she went back on her own after I had returned home and sorted that out, then the passports etc.

The point being that she dealt with that side of things as I would have expected her to. I was actually taken aback by how far she had gone with the name changes, passport applications etc.

From my perspective, when I visited to get married, I obviously took with me most of the documents that she would need for the SV.

So where needed, she resolved things and I did the same. For example, I was more in control of the visa application.

That's it, I can't understand why advice is needed to members about what needs doing in LOS re: name changes and the rest?

Can I point out I'm in denial over the scousers win tonight and this post could be deemed as therapy, if thats an excuse?
    'Tis me

I'm in denial over the scousers win tonight
    caller,
    same same from me

Only good thing is Dao is back in the morning
    colin 244