Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Old Hand มือเก่า

Default BBC , ITV iplayer

I have bought a new ASUS tablet from Currys and now I am in Thailand, I am trying to watch programs on the BBC iPlayer.but for some reason the BBC iPlayer is not working.
    Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong, because I would like to watch some English programs while I'm in Thailand.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

It will not work in Thailand...I am in Hua Hin right now and mine will not work..I think it only works in the EU?
    You need to access ITV/BBC player through a VPN server if you want it to work..

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ johnb's Avatar

I use and can recommend ThaiExpatTV and ExpatPremiumTV both of which I pay for. The first gives me BBC 1,2,3,4, ITV 1,2,3,4 and Sky News plus quite a few others. The second gives me all the Sky Sports, BT Sports etc.

You do need a decent internet download speed but, assuming you have, it's great. Both come with 7 day catch up facility too so you can watch programmes at times to suit you.
    nao faz mal means mai pen rai

Hi John
    How much do these services cost?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

You used to be able to download something to google chrome browser that tricked it into believing you were still in the UK, someone posted the details of it on here a year or 2 ago I think it was called ? shield and put a green shield icon in the top right corner of chrome, mine has disappeared after I upgraded to windows 10. Either that or use a proxy server, if you google proxy servers it should give you a quite extensive list but it will slow your connection speed down.

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    I have bought a new ASUS tablet from Currys and now I am in Thailand, I am trying to watch programs on the BBC iPlayer.but for some reason the BBC iPlayer is not working.
    There was a recent press article that the BBC is blocking iplayer access through VPNs outside the UK
    "I can calculate the movement of the stars, but not the madness of men" Sir Isaac Newton

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    Hi John
    How much do these services cost?
    Depends on which options you choose but I pay about 5000 baht a year for each service.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Hotspot shield is the vpn.You can get it from your App Store You need to buy Elite to get a uk IP address . It's just under £20 a year. And will cover multiple devices across the platforms (android iOS etc). Have just tested mine and it's working with BBC iplayer in LOS using a uk ip from the country list of ips you get with elite.
    Buy cheap, pay twice.

I hope you gents are contributing your TV licence

Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    I hope you gents are contributing your TV licence
    I would happily pay the TV license if the Government would unfreeze my state pension.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ nigel&panada's Avatar

I believe you only currently require a licence for watching live tv and not streamed content, plus I don't expect to see a detector van down my Soi any time soon

I wouldn't be surprised if they did send them! I had only been moved into my house for 1 day and they came round telling me they will take me to court unless I pay immediately!!

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Hotspot shield is the vpn.You can get it from your App Store You need to buy Elite to get a uk IP address . It's just under £20 a year. And will cover multiple devices across the platforms (android iOS etc). Have just tested mine and it's working with BBC iplayer in LOS using a uk ip from the country list of ips you get with elite.

What's the speed/reliability like with that one?

I've been using MediaHint for a few years now and it works all the time.

Old Hand มือเก่า

It's been ok for me,used it for about 3 years now. As for speed it seem to manage on the crappy WiFi you get in hotels etc. And iplayer will work ok on 3g.

Cheers, I'll take a look at that one.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Terry Phillips's Avatar

The BBC webserver scans the incoming Ipaddress and if it ain't a UK IP then it's blocked. I tried to use the Iplayer from my London office internet which is connected via France This is blocked too.
    Last edited by Terry Phillips; 22nd Dec 2015 at 15:17. Reason: mistake
    Tel

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Depends on which options you choose but I pay about 5000 baht a year for each service.
    How reliable is it?

I'm gonna to buy an Amazon firestick, load it with Kodi and see how I get on.

Might be a lot of aggro as the channels/streams always seem to get blocked after a while according to my pal who's had one for a while.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by prioritypress View Post
    How reliable is it?

Nick
    I am in my third year with Thai Expat TV and my first with Expat Premium TV Sports package. Reliability 100% so far. The only time I have been unable to access them was during a power cut. As I said earlier, though, we live in town and have a reliable internet download speed of 20mbps.

Member สมาชิก

If you are going the Kodi route I wouldn't recommend the Fire Stick there are cheaper & better Amazon TV boxes @ Everbuying.net - you have to wait for delivery as its all from China but its a legit business. Also @ £11 a month a service with more stability (Kodi can be a faff) is streamtvbox.com - dunno how it performs outside UK though.

I was shown this website today by a US expat living in Bangkok, who's on a visit to the UK. http://www.filmon.com/group/uk-live-tv .
    She informed that she watches BBC and other UK channels on it in Thailand for free. Anybody in Thailand tried using it?