Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Thai Sim Cards for holidays or extended visits for wife

Hi All ,

I can't see that this is a recent topic.

Sea and our boy are off this week for six weeks leaving me in the care of Mr Witherspoon ( and my Mum ) .

What to pop into her iPhone so I can FaceTime etc ?

Any thoughts?

Thanks Richard
    It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are

The last time I was in Thailand in October I picked up a free sim in the airport with True which gave me 4G internet and calls in and around Mukdahan in the North East. I ended up doing the same for the GF before I came back because her DTac sim didn’t have 4G where she was and I can put money on her sim with a CC from the UK with no problems. 4G was way better for Skype etc. New cell towers have popped up all over the place in Thailand since my first visit last February and it is a lot better than it was.

Somebody mentioned on here a while back that you need a passport to buy a sim but I didn’t find that although they mentioned that it is a new law in Thailand.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

as above, pick up a free sim card, last time i arrived they were close to where you come off the plane, just stuck in a box on a table

Promotions come and go, they were giving them away a year ago at the railway station but not now. I was there a few days ago and there was a big banner hanging from the roof advertising something in arrivals. To be honest get her to nip into 7/11 get a sim put a bit of top up on and get one of these weekly deals. I was paying 99b a week for unlimited including free calls to true numbers. look on the websites for deals although the best seem not to be in English.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

As said before the best deals seem to be in thai if it matters

Just bought some sim cards at DTac office in Central. I needed to show my origional passport, which they photographed using mobile phone. They were able to give me sim cards topped up and valid for one year, by simply crediting 20tb a month to the account via their computer system. They could also provide sims with micro pop outs suitable for iphones. lots of the normal sims come with only 15tb credit, so of limited use until topped up and then are only valid for a few months, so do not work on next visit. Finally DTac sell a phone called an Eagle, it is 5,000 ish and works well on WhatsApp and Line, esp with head phones provided. Can also used as wifi hot spot, so can connect UK iphone via 4G. Cost of sim 270tb ish.

Many thanks All.

As things worked out Sea went " Thai " on arrival in Thailand and ignored free sims and the blandishments of the myriad of phone shops at the airport.

Disaster

Later at sisters house in a far far away suburb of BKK. she approached a 7-11 ( are you sure dear )

Niece had to hand over her id and a sim card was purchased as a new customer to what network i do not yet know.

But .......it came with one month of free data.

FACETIME ( for you non iPhone users its like Skype )

So twice a day I get to see Sea and little boy and chat too.

I must say I highly recommend video chat especially when you have children. It is so much more close.

Thanks all.

Richard
    It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are