Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Default Is Their A Time Limit On When We Go To The UK After A Spouse Visa Is Granted ?

Hi All.

A small detail about the Spouse Visa for settling in the UK - IF we are granted a Spouse Visa for the UK, is there any Time-Limit on how long it might be before actually flying off to Blighty ? I have never actually seen this type of visa, so could someone tell me if there is a kind of 'Use By' date on it ? And if, for example, a couple had to remain in Thailand sorting out things for 3 months before flying out, how would that impact on the 33 months - would they begin as soon as the visa is granted or from the date of landing in the UK ? And would it impact on the middle and final stages of the path to ILR ? I mean, if it is a strict requirement that the Thai partner had been in the UK for 5 years before applying for ILR...then 4 years 9 months wouldn't qualify ?
    All thoughts gratefully received.

Member สมาชิก

Believe you have 30 days.. You can request post dating the visa when you apply to a date in the future that is more reasonable else will be 30 days from when approved

Member สมาชิก

Thanks Garnett45 - i seem to remember reading a long while back, that it is more like 3 months, but i need more info on this.

Originally the visa was for 33 months that enabled the applicant to have at least 3 months to sort out their affairs before travelling to the UK and entering to ensure they had 30 months in the UK before the next visa application.

I seem to remember that the visa is still issued for 33 months but now you are given 30 days to sort things out and travel or else you must apply to extend the 30 day period (not the visa) for remaining in LOS before travel.

We actually fell foul of this as Nok did not travel straight away after obtaining her visa (then only 18 months with no sorting out period) and we then had to apply for another FLR visa just for 1 month to extend her time in the UK to 18 months, bloody expensive error.
    Independence Day 31st January 2020

Member สมาชิก

Bloody nora - i'd have burst a blood vessel ! Mmm - i wonder why it's 33 months if you ALSO have to obey a 30-day rule - seems a bit daft (no change there then!). But basically, i guess it all comes down to the need to have a minimum 2.5 years in the UK before applying for FLR ? Is that your take on it ?

Quote Originally Posted by SingerSongwriter View Post
    ...i guess it all comes down to the need to have a minimum 2.5 years in the UK before applying for FLR ? Is that your take on it ?
    Yes, exactly.
    Independence Day 31st January 2020

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Peejay1959's Avatar

Yes it is 30 days from the date it is granted, or the date you request it from. Tia requested hers for the 23rd of April and hers is valid for 30 days from that date, she then has to pick up her BRP.

Pete and Tia

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Also, Your spouse/ partner has to collect their biometric residency permit within 10 days of arriving in UK. It will state on the letter when it can be collected from.
    Letter states if you don't then may be subject to financial penalty or a reduction or cancellation of leave.