Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Old Hand มือเก่า

Default English fry-up in Pattaya

I've worked in the area for over a year now and the one treat I afford myself every weekend is a fry-up, or the hope of one that is. I've probably amassed over 100 of them in various locations, many at the same ones, so here's my list in the hope of helping a few potential visitors to Pattaya. Please add to it so I can get a few more tips.

Before I start, my ideal brekkie should be as follows. Beans, toast (salted butter not the sweet Thai stuff), 2 fried eggs, 2 sausages, 2 bits of bacon (not circles of pork with a gristly bit running through the middle), and a mug of tea (not Liptons) or coffee. Should I get a bonus of hash browns or fried bread all the better. Now I would expect the price of this to be between 150 and 200 baht depending on location.

These are not in any order.

1. Pinky's - Soi Siam Country Club, near Planet Football.
    150bt - Good value with all of the above including mushrooms and tom's. The restaurant is ice cool, even now, and the service is great. Very friendly place full of ex-pats who are among the more family-minded in town. They also do roast dinners all day Sunday and it's probably the best value menu I've found. 7.5/10

2. Hotel Danmark - Jomtien
    Buffet for 180bt - Everything you wish for plus cold meats and cheeses. Fresh bread is nice and the butter is proper Anchor. Tea is Liptons sadly and coffee is nescafe red but it's a decent munch. There is Thai food also for those whose gf's/wives/overnight pals don't fancy a heavy start to the day. Well worth a visit although it is not air-conditioned.
    7.5/10

3. Murphy's Irish Pub - Pattaya Darkside
    Probably the most disappointing. Food was nice but expensive for what you got. No tea or coffee included and the waitresses would not leave you alone for a minute. After we finished I wanted to sit and let the food go down but within 5 minutes we had 3 separate staff come and ask if we wanted more. Eventually, the last waitress asked my wife in Thai if we wanted the bill. 4/10

4. Gregg's Kitchen - Pattaya Central
    Good clean food and service. I've been regularly attending for years and would recommend it in a shot. Brown bread offered as an alternative also. The guy who owns it is very professional, as are his staff. More expensive than your average food but it comes with quality. 7/10

5. Pig and Whistle - Pattaya central
    Average scoff with everything on offer and reasonable price. Good but not great, as many reports say. 6/10

6. I forgot the name! It's on Soi Diana, in the complex at the top between an Indian restaurant and a tailors.
    It used to be run by a grumpy Arsenal fan but has since been taken over by a Thai lady with UK citizenship. When the previous owner was in charge I'd have had it down as a 10/10, it was that good. Sadly, it's not as good now but still worth a visit and the new lady is very nice. This is an excellent place to visit if you want to see firsthand what TAT's drive to replace us with Chinese tourists is doing to the existing industry. Destroying the small businesses in a nut.
    6.5/10

7. Tropical Berts - Now darkside
    I haven't visited his new premises but I would always use it in soi 6/1. For me, the best value brekkie in town. It was too much at times but I'd still eat it all and with UK papers to read I could always relax. I liked the fact you got a refill tea at the end so you could let the food go down, read a rag and not feel rushed to move out. Great service too.
    8.5/10

8. The Blue Moose - Darkside
    Recently found this gem and I mean gem. First encounter with the waitress, "Hello sir what is your name?" What a great touch. Ice cool restaurant away from the public bar with a pool table also. Big TV screens in the sports bar to watch if you fancy it. Small reading area with hundreds of free books to borrow. My waitress was kind enough to point all of this out. The breakfast was good also. It's American so slightly different. The home fries were wonderful as was the sausage looking round thing. The bacon was too crispy for me but the coffee was nice.
    For service and relaxation 10/10. Food 7/10 but the menu looks great for other US style food.
    This is an American place and it lives up to the quality service you associate with American public places.

9. Holland Tulip Bakery - Darkside
    Good food, good service and nice location. One negative - they have a wide selection of fresh bread yet give you the cheap Thai stuff from 7/11. I was given 1 little butter pack and when I asked for another they added it to the bill without saying so. Tea Liptons coffee Nescafe. It's always busy and the staff are very nice. 6.5/10

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Rosie O'Grady's on Soi 7 is worth a visit. It's now the only place I go for breakfast when in Pattaya. Even get a slice of black pudding, which seals the deal for me
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Been using "Simple Simon's" same Soy as immigration at Jomtien for eight years on and off It's always been very good. I don't eat eggs so I swap them for extra bacon, never a problem. It's a 120 baht and has been for eight years, it will go up now I've said that. I've tried a few others but always keep coming back, they sell a few farang items too, pies gravy mint sauce to name a few.

The Little Wonder in the shopping arcade at the top of Soi Diana (second road end). Does great food, breakfasts and all types of English. The Thai stuff is good as well according to Nok.

Take Away on Soi Buakhao near the cut through for Soi 7/8 on to second road. All good English stuff there.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Old Hand มือเก่า

Gary, that's the one I forgot the name of. Opposite the Papa Go Go bar. Little Wonder. The Thai woman he sold out to is a Gooner also, lives in Camden. Peter, the old guy who had it before. He moved up to Kabin Buri.

Simple Simon's I forgot about. My favourite for dining in when I visit the kind officials from immigration. At the price it's the best value I've come up against. No air-con at this time of year is a killer though.

Another good value, cheap, brekkie is The Player's Lounge near where Pattaya play football. About 140 gets you everything including fried bread. Once again, no A/C which is a downer.

Just up the road is Nana's Deli which serves great chips and salt beef sandwiches. The brekkie is average and the Thai staff are quite rude. Upon arriving back from the UK my wife ordered cheezy beans on toast. It was literally a cube of cheese in the middle of beans. I'd recommend the chips alone but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    Gary, that's the one I forgot the name of. Opposite the Papa Go Go bar. Little Wonder. The Thai woman he sold out to is a Gooner also, lives in Camden. Peter, the old guy who had it before. He moved up to Kabin Buri.
    She is quite a character, a bit more lively than Peter ever was. Must admit to not going in there so much since he has gone, mainly due to change of my residence to soi 1 end rather than just round the corner from there. I might put it nearer an 8/10 though.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Frasers Jomtien. Big brekkie, coffee or tea, 2 toast, 2 eggs of your choice, poached, scrambled or fried, 2 sausages, bacon choice of back, or streaky, beans, 2 hash browns and mushrooms. Cost 195 baht

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Nok View Post
    The Little Wonder in the shopping arcade at the top of Soi Diana (second road end). Does great food, breakfasts and all types of English. The Thai stuff is good as well according to Nok.

Take Away on Soi Buakhao near the cut through for Soi 7/8 on to second road. All good English stuff there.
    does he still do the pie and mash.

Premium Member

Great posts everyone. Just reading about the breakfasts has made me hungry.

I do not know the area well enough to offer restaurant tips. The locale, I mean - I am (alas) no stranger to the fried meal.

I have made a note of those recommended eateries.

Now, if someone would like to start a counter-thread about the 'worst' available breakfasts, the two threads should form a very handy guide.
    Mark L

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

The Sportsman, Soi 13, near to Sandy Spring hotel.

Default English fry-up in Pattaya

Gerrys bar Soi 4 Pratumanak road, close to big Budda. Does everything at reasonable price. When in Pattaya this is where we have breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nec Aspera Terrent

Old Hand มือเก่า

The worst would be anything that says its a fried brekkie yet with Thai style ingredients. Sausages - 7/11 little hot dogs, bacon as per sausages. Toast is the freakishly symmetrical square sweet cut white bread with equally sweet, runny butter coloured spread. If it is the Thai version they'll always include half a tomato and lettuce leaf in the corner. Tea Liptons with creamer rather milk. Asking for milk is like chewing tin foil also.

The worst, in name, I had was at Kull's pub, on Soi Siam Country Club. This was the night of Loy Krathong and I'd just spent an hour trying to get my car out the mud in some awful car park whilst the locals watched and laughed. Needless to say I wasn't pleased. Anyway we pass this Kull's on the way back and on the menu is the all day brekkie. Looked fab in the pictures and after the evening I'd had it was either a fry up or Chang, no messing.
    When it came out it was full on Thai style and there was no toast nor bacon. To add to it, the beans were ice cold. When I asked the owner why she replied, "you did not say you wanted them hot." I didn't touch another bite and to be fair to the owner she gave me a full refund.

In terms of proper British restaurants my biggest gripe is not having a tea or coffee included.

Quote Originally Posted by steve187 View Post
    does he still do the pie and mash.
    Yes SHE does.
    Peter has gone, Sukunya is now the owner.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

I used to make the effort at least twice a week to go to Simple Simon's, so I'm glad it's still there. 13 years ago it was certainly the best breakfast in town. Their homemade pork pies were pretty good too.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Old Hand มือเก่า

The little wonder with the map of London on the wall was in there in April the women us ace knows all the English songs, I have to say that I found this the best around at the moment did go to a few others but as they are businesses wouldn't like to comment on them, as I think times are a little harder and that might, reflect on food and service but the little wonder I found to be my favourite in April just gone