Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Default Where can I buy Phat krapow (Thai basil) in Scotland?

The wife decided that she fancied a phat krapow moo gob but our local Asian supermarket (Seewoo in Glasgow) has never had krapow (Thai basil) in stock any time that we went. So now I'm having to cast the net a bit wider. Does anyone know of a shop which stocks Thai basil in Scotland or northern England?

We brought our last lot over from Thailand last time we had a holiday but it didn't travel well and was not edible after about 4 days.

Any information would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I've never seen Thai Basil in any of the Asian supermarkets in Glasgow but I have found it in Asda of all places! It's in the fruit and veg aisle beside the herbs, you might just find an empty Thai Basil box though, I only find it about 50% of the time.
    I don't know if all Asdas stock it but I've seen it in the Hamilton one (off the M74). They also sell fish sauce and Tao Kae Noi (crispy seaweed) and a few other handy bit and pieces in the Asian aisle.

Member สมาชิก

I'll drag the wife around an Asda or two over the next few days and see what we can find. Thanks.

I find the dried stuff very acceptable. Maybe she has a friend or family member who can post some over to you. a 500g packet would last ages.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Member สมาชิก

Thanks for that, I'll suggest it to her. It could be a good option but she's going to check with Seewoo tomorrow. I just walk behind her with the trolley...it's the easy option!

Seewoo in Glasgow gets their 'Thai' veg on a Monday morning. It is on the 1st cold shelves behind the fruit.
    If it is not there, ask the lady who prepares all the veg if it is in.
    Be aware, the 7/8 Thai restaurants in Glasgow know this in addition to all the excited Thai ladies who make a bee-line.
    Thank god my wife successfully grows her own now.
    From memory, there is an authentic smaller Chinese grocery shop somewhere opposite the Playhouse theatre in Edinburgh that has a fairly extensive Thai section but again, its hit and miss if they have stock.
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Member สมาชิก

Ian1208,
    Thanks for that. I might have to do an early Monday run. I had heard of the smaller Asian place somewhere in Leith (I think) but, as you say, it is hit and miss.

Does your wife grow hers in Scotland or Thailand? if the answer is Scotland the next question is...How?

She grows them here and Thailand.
    How ? Seeds.
    Her sister grew them in a greenhouse (Dumfries) until about 3/4'' tall (we dont have a greenhouse) and it is now over two foot tall sitting on our always sunny landing.
    It gets more attention than me or the kids.
    Last edited by Tobias; 27th Aug 2016 at 12:01. Reason: Double post gremlin
    Judging others before you have met isn't a wise option.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Just a thought, have you tried buying from ASDA online, although I have a feeling it is "horopa (sweet basil)" the basil used in the likes of green curry, rather than the "grapow (holy basil)" used in pad grapow.
    We have grown it in the porch here in Newcastle but must admit the sweet seems far easier to grow than the much sought after holy.
    We did bring some dried back with us from Thailand in January so if you are stuck I am sure I could smuggle an envelope full out of the house and post it to you
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Member สมาชิก

Yesterday the wife bought basil in Asda, it was labeled "British Basil". Once cooked it definitely had the krapow flavour, however it wasn't as strong as krapow. For me it was certainly good to pass as phat krapow so if ever I fancy a phat krapow we now know the answer. Not perfect but certainly good enough.

I just found the seeds for Thai basil on Amazon along with quite a few others. Just ordered some to try growing our own. My wife has been growing garlic, beans and ginger for over a year now.

Kapow Gai is my favourite Thai food and I've been cooking it here for years using the normal 'Growing Basil' sold by Asda and other supermarkets. Although I can tell the difference, for me the British Basil is a perfectly good substitute and you will find that a lot of Thai restaurants in the UK use that.

Old Hand มือเก่า

bolton market saturday ,,get your meats and fish too best time to go 3.30pm and if your flushed durian as well

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    I just found the seeds for Thai basil on Amazon along with quite a few others. Just ordered some to try growing our own. My wife has been growing garlic, beans and ginger for over a year now.
    second year of trying the misses is crying already saying they are dying she says they like warm rain not cold lol