Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice needed for Schengen Visa for Spain

Hi Guys,

My Thai wife is here in uk, on a Spouse 29 month visa, she has a job, uk bank account, registered with doctors, on the Council bill.

We want to go to Lanzarote for a holiday, which is under Spannish Territory. So we need to apply to the the Spannish Embassy for a Schengen visa. but we have never applied for a schengen visa before, so we have a few questions

1. Is it free to Spouses of UK nationals?
    2. Is it better via post or in person?
    3. Had some advice saying book the trip first so you can show proof in the application? (not happy doing this incase its rejected)
    4. If application is made via post how long appox does that take?

Thanks in advance for the input

Regard Tim.

Banned

Refer Post # 1

1. Is it free to Spouses of UK nationals? -

Yes, the visa itself is free, but she will incur other expenses in completing the application,

2. Is it better via post or in person?

She must attend the Visa application office in person for her fingerprints to be taken, etc

3. Had some advice saying book the trip first so you can show proof in the application? (not happy doing this incase its rejected)

Do NOT book flights. It's not necessary but you can make some hotel or apartment bookings on www.Booking.com (or similar) where you do not have to pay any money at the time of booking. Simply cancel if necessary if for any reason the Visa application is rejected.

4. If application is made via post how long appox does that take?

Not applicable, book an appointment to attend the Visa application office

Refer to forum Schengen threads - for example my Postings detailing my visit to the Portuguese visa application office in Manchester which contains a lot of additional information

Hi Tim,

The Schengen is supposed to be free and expedited for family members of an EU citizen that are travelling together, so it should be a quick and free process for you.

However, due to the insanity of the EU and officialdom the real situation will no doubt be different, so in answer to your questions from my own experience:-

1. Yes it should be free and expedited, but in reality you might be directed to premium rate numbers (which the time you are kept wasting on the call can work out £Many) and be told to apply through a service company that invoke a processing fee. There have been many complaints about this and workarounds given, but you will have to seek them out depending on country applying for.
    2. It's better by post if you can, but not all embassies offer the option, again there is a workaround of applying to an embassy that does and then say you will need it for a multi trip, but that embassies country will be the first/main part of the trip. My experience of the Spanish Embassy was you had to do in person and the appointment was via a very expensive premium rate booking line. Then after much automation and key presses the earliest appointment was for 3 months time. Neither free nor expedited, however, since then the end of answer 1. means there could now be a workaround for that too, ie demand your EU Citizen rights.
    3. Do not book the trip first. On the Schengen form there are also *marked questions that don't have to be answered by family members of EU citizens, that make it "easier".
    4. You would need to check with the Embassy that applying to at the same time as checking if they take postal applications, however EU rules state that it should be less than 15 days for Family Member of an EU Citizen IIRC.

One of the reason why I voted BREXIT is because I found out the Freedom of Movement fundamentals were far from it.
    I hope you have better luck than I did.

One final thing to check with the Spanish Embassy is that a Schengen visa will cover the Canary Islands, it should, but best to confirm as I remember many years ago there being an additional complication.

Some info on problems and what should be expected here: https://eumovement.wordpress.com/eu-...es/info-spain/

We ended up never visiting Spain until wife got UK citizenship and then it was a doddle as no Schengen needed. Gran Canaria was preferred Canary Island.

Banned

Refer Post #2

Correction - my answers were based on an excellent experience dealing the Portuguese Visa Office in Manchester. Each country deals with Schengen visa applications using their own methodology and may prove much more difficult to deal with?

If available, find a Posting dealing recently with the Spanish Schengen visa application process. Avoid, if you can, paying any 3rd Party to process the visa application on your behalf? Expensive and unneccessary as the process is very, very simple and can be easily done by you on behalf of your wife.

However, some countries insist on using these 3rd Party agents to take the workload off their own employee's?

However, some countries insist on using these 3rd Party agents to take the workload off their own employee's?
    They do indeed, but that should not in the case of EU Citizen Family Members (I will post the info here and it should be adhered to, but in real life find that is not the case :-( )...

From https://eumovement.wordpress.com/other-schengen/

No fee is payable
    • No visa fee can be charged.” (Part III Section 3.1)
    • It is not possible to apply or accept an increased “fast track fee” if an accelerated handling of an application is requested.” (Section 4.4.1), though in all cases the visa for family members of EU citizens must be issued “on the basis of an accelerated procedure“. (III page 86)
    • As family members should not pay any fee when submitting the application, they cannot be obliged to obtain an appointment via a premium call line or via an external provider whose services are charged to the applicant. Family members must be allowed to lodge their application directly at the consulate without any costs.” (Part III Section 3.2)
    • “If an appointment system is nevertheless in place [for family members of EU citizens], separate call lines (at ordinary local tariff) to the consulate should be put at the disposal of family members respecting comparable standards to those of “premium lines”, i.e. the availability of such lines should be of standards comparable to those in place for other categories of applicants and an appointment must be allocated without delay.” (Part III Section 3.2)

Visas must be processed as soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated procedure

• “Member States shall grant third country family members of EU citizens falling under the Directive every facility to obtain the necessary visa. This notion must be interpreted as ensuring that Member States take all appropriate measures to ensure fulfilment of the obligations arising out of the right of free movement and afford to such visa applicants the best conditions to obtain the entry visa.” (Part III Section 3.3)
    • The visas must be issued as soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated procedure and the procedures put in place by Member States (with or without outsourcing) must allow to distinguish between the rights of a third country national who is a family member of an EU citizen and other third country nationals. [Family members of EU citizens] must be treated more favourably than [other third country nationals]“. (Part III Section 3.4)
    • Processing times for a visa application lodged by a third-country national who is a family member of an EU citizen covered by the Directive going beyond 15 days should be exceptional and duly justified.” (Part III Section 3.4)

It would be interesting to see if you have a more positive response, perhaps you could email the Spanish Embassy and ask them to provide you with details, ASAP, of how you can get a Schengen Visa for your wife as per the above requirements ie no fee, no premium rate number and within 15 days as she will be travelling with you and she is your wife and hence a family member of an EU Citizen.

Possible contact numbers:-
    Spanish Embassy in London 39 Chesham Place
    London SW1X 8SB.
    Tel: 020 7235 5555020 7235 5555 - Fax: 020 7259 5392
    Nearest Tube: Sloane Square
    Street Map of Spanish embassy
    Spanish embassy Opening Hours

Spanish Consulate in London 20 Draycott Place
    London SW3 2RZ.
    Tel: 020 7589 8989020 7589 8989 - Fax: 020 7581 7888
    Nearest Tube: Sloane Square
    Street Map of Spanish consulate
    Spanish Consulate Opening Hours

Spanish Visa Office 20 Draycott Place
    London SW3 2RZ.
    Tel: 020 7589 8989020 7589 8989 - Fax: 020 7581 7888

From:- http://spain.❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇❇/co...address-london

it didn't like the URL?? so do a search on Spanish Embassy in London and you should see the link.
    Last edited by KhunIanB-UK; 20th Sep 2016 at 20:36.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Having read the posts above most are incorrect. Application is handled by VFS in Wilson Street in the city.
    Had a Spanish visa in June and am applying for next one as I type.
    First google Spanish visa click on VFS click on first circle to see what is going to happen next click second circle where you will be instructed to register with e-mail and password This should bring up an application form. So far its straight forward ,you are asked to save and instructed that it will be forwarded to your e-mail box. Now I have hit a problem it will not let me open the completed form. Phoned help desk yesterday and told to go back to second circle
    Click Tourist visa then documents required application form in red comes up. Print it fill in by hand and take it to interview.
    On same web page somewhere there is a lead to make an interview. Date and time come up so make you selection. Although you may pick a time doesn't mean thats when you will be seen. InJjune we had to wait 3 hours along with 50 other people
    You are required to have made a flight booking and provide proof of accommodation and most important proof of medical insurance
    There is a handling charge to VFS of £14.75 but the visa is free. Make sure everything is copied and when you get into the interview room find out which order they want the docs and secondly you will make a friend on the other side of the counter.
    Last visa only took 2 days. you can opt for collect or have it delivered
    We have our interview next Thursday 12 pm. I will be interested to see how you got on with the application form
    Melnathan

Having read the posts above most are incorrect. Application is handled by VFS in Wilson Street in the city.
    Depend on where in the you live northerners get to use Manchester
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Melnathan,

That's certainly a lot quicker than the 3 months for an appointment that I experienced, though that was many moons ago, and if you get the visa within 2 weeks then the £14.75 VFS fee could be considered "reasonable", however as an EU Citizen with a non-EU Family member it should be done free and quicker than yours especially with regards to:-
    As family members should not pay any fee when submitting the application, they cannot be obliged to obtain an appointment via a premium call line or via an external provider whose services are charged to the applicant. Family members must be allowed to lodge their application directly at the consulate without any costs.” andThe visas must be issued as soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated procedure...
    for a visa application lodged by a third-country national who is a family member of an EU citizen covered by the Directive going beyond 15 days should be exceptional and duly justified.

So worth checking on Tel: 020 7235 5555 (especially if you have free minutes) before heading down your route if the "correct" one is available. Also worth checking if "You are required to have made a flight booking and provide proof of accommodation and most important proof of medical insurance" all apply in the "correct" route.
    It would also be useful for other members to see if the "correct" route is now possible, such as yours is as another route.

Portuguese Consulate in Manchester was the the best Consulate my wife ever used for Schengen Visa , got the Visa on the same day ..... used it in Spain .
    Was free , did have hotels booked via Booking.com / Agoda ...
    bangkok mags

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

I second sisaket, we used Portuguese Embassy in London...when we went to Spain last. Fast, efficient and free (apart from the shopping).

However, do expect puzzled looks at Lanzarote Airport, they kept us there 30 mins while they passed my wifes passport amongst one and another - grunting and tutting.

prikphet, the same happened to Jan at Murcia Spain in June even though she had a visa issued by the Spanish embassy Melnathan

Shame but the visa section of the Portuguese website doesn't appear to work. I guessing they don't deal with visa's either now and this VFS must now deal with all visa's.
    I had a look at the Dutch visa's last night and the costs were about £56 with all the fee's they pile on for postage etc..
    Andy
    Nothing ever Changes...but the shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    Shame but the visa section of the Portuguese website doesn't appear to work. I guessing they don't deal with visa's either now and this VFS must now deal with all visa's.
    I had a look at the Dutch visa's last night and the costs were about £56 with all the fee's they pile on for postage etc..
    Yes it does but its a different site

http://www.secomunidades.pt/vistos/i...mid=97&lang=en

Talking

That's better. Thanks for the link. Looks as though that seems quite straight forward. Very much the same as the old Dutch Schengen visa we used to apply for.
    Andy

Banned

Refer, Post #1 -

I obtained Schengen Visa's to visit Portugal for my Thai wife and her 17 year old Thai daughter last January who were just 4 months here in the U.K. at the start of their 5 year Settlement process.

Neither of them, at that time, (1) job, or a National Insurance registration, (2) no U.K. banks knew they existed, (3) been registered at any Doctor or GP, (4) or known to my Council.

Perhaps our priorities were incorrect but it just shows none of the above is required to successively obtain any Schengen Visa for any Schengen country as the rules are common to all country's, surely?
    Last edited by Lipboy; 23rd Sep 2016 at 06:34.

Your quite right none of the above were required. All you need do is prove she is married to an EU national . Needed marriage certificate and 2 payslips from work and bobs your uncle. If its any different I will report back after interview next Thursday.
    Melnathan

Question

I've had another look through the Portugese. Am I correct in thinking that applications can be made on line for the visa. Just a case of filling in all the information. Appears a very easy way of getting a visa if so. I assume once all details are all filled out and have reached the final page, payment will then be taken? Or does this mean once filled out that an appointment needs to be made to collect visa?
    Andy

Banned

Refer Post #19

At some stage the applicants finger prints are taken. How can this be done using a JUST on-line application process?

Earlier this year I obtained Schengen visa's for my Thai wife and her daughter and below is a copy of my Post #19 contained in thread "first thinge to do when applying for a Schengen Visa" which details the documentation we were required to show during our "face to face" appointment in Manchester to visit Portugal.

1. Application Form (filled in on-line plus appointment made on-line) plus 1- coloured Passport size photograph.

2. Passport plus "UK Biometric Resident Card", (B.R.C.).

3. photo copy of travel (e.g. flight) bookings.

Note- I only took copy my proposed flight bookings, i.e. not booked yet.

4. photo copy of accommodation booking in Funchal. I took a copy of my Booking.com

Note- the Booking.com booking still has "free cancellation" until mid-night tonight

5. Copy of our Thai "Wedding Certificate"

6. Copy of English translation of 5. above "done and certified" by our local Thai temple. Donated £20 to Monk.

7. My Passport

The same documents were required for my step daughter.

The appointment time was 16.00 to 17.00 and we were called at 16.20. The man finished just at the Consulate closing time, 17.30.but stated he could not issue the visa's until tomorrow so I had to pay £6.20 Royal Mail p.& p.and to expect return of passports in two days time. Otherwise the processing is free of any other charge. It maybe that earlier in the day appointments could receive their passport and visa back on the same day but I don't know if this would be normal practise or not?

I was surprised that the visa was only for issued for 10 days? Our holiday dates are Friday to Friday, i.e. 8 days, so the extra 2 days are only for "delayed travel". I thought a Schengen Visa was for 6 months but apparently not? I told him that my daughter was hoping to go to Paris in a few months time but the man said she would then need to contact the French Embassy or Consulate for a new visa.

During the 70 minutes processing my wife and step daughter had their photographs and fingerprints taken.
    Last edited by Lipboy; 24th Sep 2016 at 07:06.

At some stage the applicants finger prints are taken. How can this be done using a JUST on-line application process?
    These are valid for three years approximately so need to be done for first application.

No travel documents can be requested for spouses and family members of EU citizens. (This might change after Brexit)

For a visa to be issued on the basis of Directive 2004/38/EC, only the following requirements need to be satisfied:

1. The visa applicant is a direct “family member” of an EU citizen and has proof (marriage or birth certificate or some combination) of the relationship)
    2. The visa applicant will be travelling with, or joining, the EU citizen for a visit or permanent move to an EU member state. (If they are going to the “home” country of the EU citizen, then there can be a requirement that the EU citizen had previously lived/worked in a different member state)
    3. All travellers require a passport (or a national ID card for the EU citizen)

There is also no legal requirement that you submit:

• bank statements
    • pay slips
    • letters from your present or future employer or school
    • letters of reference
    • proof that you will return at the end of the trip
    • airline tickets
    • confirmed hotel bookings
    • references or guarantees from people in the destination country

The only four grounds for rejecting a visa application are:

1. public health (i.e. a serious contagious disease)
    2. national security
    3. (big) public policy
    4. the marriage was done solely for getting the visa
    We have had several schengen visa's never got less than six months actually normally had 2 years plus but our circumstances were dfferent in that we travelled regularly to Germany and France (Daily as we lived in Switzerland).

They are obliged to make it FREE but generally they try to impose fees sometimesits easier just to pay.
    Last edited by ash; 24th Sep 2016 at 07:57.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Quote Originally Posted by Lipboy View Post
    Refer Post #19
    WOW, you are able to see in to the future
    Your post is #18!!!!!

It would be fare easier if you used the quote system so we didn't have to keep going back to read the post that you refer too.

Just a suggestion
    I'm ONE of the 52%