Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ESOL courses

Member สมาชิก

I wonder did these rules change since the 2014/2015 academic year? I guess I will just have to try and convince myself that the course fee was worth it as it gave my wife a very small boost in confidence.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Tom & Nok View Post
    I have just been looking through the central government 2016/2017 rules for FE colleges in England in respect of their funding through the Skills Funding Agency (SFA). It seems from reading this thread that some FE college admissions staff appear to have an incomplete understanding of the very detailed state funding rules as they apply for our non-EU spouses.

According to section A122 (page 21) of the SFA rules (2016/2017) published by HM Government in July 2016, the three year residency rule does not apply for non-EU nationals if they are married to a UK, EU or EEA citizen who has been resident within the EEA for the last three years. The table on page 21 is very clear.

Section A117 states:

"A117. The learner’s immigration permission in the UK may have a ‘No recourse to public funds’ condition. Public funds does not include education or education funding, so this does not affect a learner’s eligibility, which must be decided under the normal eligibility conditions."

I note that Leshemp's wife was told by her local college that she has to have lived in the UK for three years. This is clearly incorrect under the government's 2016/2017 SFA funding rules. I would suggest contacting the college principal to draw his/her attention to the very clear SFA funding rules and the college's failure to comply with the SFA eligibility for funding requirements in respect of his non-EU spouse. It might also be worthwhile contacting your MP too.

Hi,
    Thank you so much for the info, my wife feels so discriminated against by West Suffolk College.
    I shall be contacting the college.

Les.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Tom & Nok View Post
    I have just been looking through the central government 2016/2017 rules for FE colleges in England in respect of their funding through the Skills Funding Agency (SFA). It seems from reading this thread that some FE college admissions staff appear to have an incomplete understanding of the very detailed state funding rules as they apply for our non-EU spouses.

According to section A122 (page 21) of the SFA rules (2016/2017) published by HM Government in July 2016, the three year residency rule does not apply for non-EU nationals if they are married to a UK, EU or EEA citizen who has been resident within the EEA for the last three years. The table on page 21 is very clear.

Section A117 states:

"A117. The learner’s immigration permission in the UK may have a ‘No recourse to public funds’ condition. Public funds does not include education or education funding, so this does not affect a learner’s eligibility, which must be decided under the normal eligibility conditions."

I note that Leshemp's wife was told by her local college that she has to have lived in the UK for three years. This is clearly incorrect under the government's 2016/2017 SFA funding rules. I would suggest contacting the college principal to draw his/her attention to the very clear SFA funding rules and the college's failure to comply with the SFA eligibility for funding requirements in respect of his non-EU spouse. It might also be worthwhile contacting your MP too.

Thanks again Tom for the info. ( how do you know so much ? )
    College has admitted they have made a mistake, and offered her a place, but for my wife she won`t go back now after the way she has been treated.
    The good news is she has found a job cleaning to start her work history off.

Les.