Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: death benefit

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

when a british citizen dies in thailand can his thai wife (they were married in a thai register office) and have lived in thailand for many years. claim the £2000 bereavment payment to help with financial hardships if so is it a n easy process. any help appreciated

when a british citizen dies in thailand can his thai wife (they were married in a thai register office) and have lived in thailand for many years. claim the £2000 bereavment payment to help with financial hardships if so is it a n easy process. any help appreciated

Banned

Looking at the Bereavement Payment factsheet it doesn't actually say that non UK based partners can't apply, but all the wording suggests that this is so.

See also Guide to benefits and money after a death.

I agree with Nick there’s nothing to say that she can’t claim a Bereavement Payment but the factsheet does assume that the claimant is domicile here, so I would imagine (in common with all other benefits) that’s the case.

Its is also worth noting that any claim must be made within 3 months of death and is based on the spouse or civil partners national Insurance (NI) contributions.

where is the principal address ??? a lot of ex pats claim its in the uk for many reasons

Blog Entries

Address is irrelevant, it is where the individual concerned is 'resident' in law and in fact - those who 'use' an address for the purposes of obtaining a benefit they would otherwise not be entitled to run the risk of being prosecuted for fraud or obtaining pecuniary advantage by deception - and rightly so.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    Stay home. Stay alert. Save lives.

Sorry tobias you are right although i have to say my local GP hinted that there are those who do this sort of activity in this world.

Tobias - I know you are correct, BUT there is indeed a fine line between living in Thailand and a long term holiday there while maintaining an address here - is there not?

I would personally not condone or endorse any such activity - but I am sure there are individuals who live here in the UK for the summer (or most of it) and live abroad for the horrid winter months .... BUT still for the purposes of taxation and/or benefits are indeed considered residents of the UK - while most of us would call them lucky so and sos who live in Thailand!!

Dare I say with the supposed Thai crackdown on "visa runs etc" there may be some more.

- Skippy