Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  27
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Insure against what? Emirates is hardly likely to go bust.
    Really remember Swiss Air ??? how come every time anyone makes a useful point that benefits others on a thread i.e. paying by credit card provides useful benefits albeit at a very small cost you try to contradict them.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I have always booked with a debit card, But will be booking next time with my credit card.
    I learn something new everyday, best be safe then sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by holty View Post
    I have always booked with a debit card, But will be booking next time with my credit card.
    I learn something new everyday, best be safe then sorry.
    If your debit card has a Visa or Mastercard symbol the rule still applies. I win that argument with Santander a few years ago.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    If your debit card has a Visa or Mastercard symbol the rule still applies. I win that argument with Santander a few years ago.
    Well, no. The Consumer Protection Act protection (Section 75) I refer to above only applies to credit transactions between £100 and £30,000.

The 'chargeback' scheme is available for debit card users and each bank has differing rules. This however is typically restricted to where the goods are faulty or the card was used fraudulently.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

It was a few years ago and I bought something on my Santander business account using my debit card and after a conversation, Santander were happy to do a charge back but only after I pointed out that the Visa card logo appeared on the card. It's a few years ago but the figure was definitely over £100 and under £30,000.

Blog Entries

Section 75 does not apply to business credit cards, only 'consumers' are protected. The visa/mastercard logo is irrelevant. The Section 75 protection applies only to consumers who pay at least £100 of their purchase with their credit card (the balance of a transaction can actually be paid by different means and the cover will still apply to the entire contract).

The chargeback scheme which applied in your case is entirely different, you would only be able to get back what you paid using the card and then (usually) only where the goods are faulty or the card was used fraudulently. You would not normally be able to chargeback if the retailer was insolvent, for example.

With the Section 75 protection you would be covered for any contractual or negligence claim against the retailer (or airline in this example) for the full amount of damages that could be (or are) awarded by a court - even if you only paid a £100 deposit on the credit card.

Section 75 protection would not be available if the payment was made indirectly via a payment service such as PayPal or similar payment service.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

There's a very useful summary of the different protections offered through Section 75 and through Chargeback on the Which? Consumer Rights website webpage "Chargeback vs Section 75".

As Tobias rightly says, Chargeback isn't enshrined in law. It is only applicable if the card issuing bank concerned subscribes to the "Scheme Rules". However it is no "silver bullet" unlike the statutory Section 75 for credit transactions as it is purely voluntary on the part of the bank and banks are entitled to reject chargeback claims.

According to the Consumers' Association,

"Conditions of chargeback

The main requirement for getting your money back through chargeback is evidence that there's been a breach of contract.
    Time limit There is a time limit on chargeback claims - typically 120 days. When this starts depends on the specific circumstances but will usually be from the day you become aware of a problem. There is also an overall cut off point of 540 days for Visa chargeback from the date of the transaction.
    Shop/online purchase In the case of tangible goods that you've purchased from a high street shop or an online retailer, the time limit on chargeback would start from the day you receive your items.
    Flight purchase In the case of an airline going bust after you've booked a flight, the breach of contract would be from the day the flight was due to depart. However, if an airline had told you at an earlier date that the flight would not be going ahead, the breach of contract that allows for chargeback would not apply."

Anway...........back to airfares

Etihad have some very good prices at the moment - offer ends 31 January.

If you are considering booking, ignore the prices given on their sale page, you may well get the flight even cheaper - go to the booking page. I've just booked for £377 yet their website (from Manchester) states 'From £403'. There were plenty of fares that were sub £400.

air china lhr to bkk, changing in beijing, is as low as £306 just now, on air china's own website. an example is flying out from lhr 08/03/2017, returning from bkk 17/03/2017.

advantages include 2-4-2 seating from lhr to beijing, which is great for couples travelling together, while disadvantages include some very long connection times if u choose the wrong flights. if u see long connection times for ur particular flight, then one possible solution is to stopover in beijing for an extra day for sightseeing, which uk nationals (though not thai nationals) can do on a 72-hour transit visa.

http://www.chinese-embassy.org.uk/en...e/t1003320.htm

ian.

Old Hand มือเก่า

hi last year I did some tinkering flights from Manchester to London then British airways to bkk £560 but I through a few options in flight from Manchester to Copenhagen then to London next day then the same ba flight £100 pound cheaper the mind boggles even when I flew from London was coming in £100 more direct

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

even the hong kong route seems cool a couple of nights there and multi city seems like you get some good deals

[QUOTE=Samsung;262314]hi last year I did some tinkering flights from Manchester to London then British airways to bkk £560 but I through a few options in flight from Manchester to Copenhagen then to London next day then the same ba flight £100 pound cheaper the mind boggles even when I flew from London was coming in £100 more direct

if you start your journey other than from the UK you do not pay APD, start journey from UK pay APD at £73 and £146 other than economy

Decided to have a gander yesterday to see if any flights were up for my usual December trip to LOS.

Using airlinhunter to have a look it came up with the cheapest direct flight I have ever been able to book.

This year I am having a little extension to my usual time out there and will have 60 days instead of the normal 30 (good ol' retirement). Flying out 29/11 and returning 28/01 with EVA Air booked through Netflights for only £432.97

I have not seen a price like this for a direct flight since 2003 when I got one for £439.10

Happy bunny
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Old Hand มือเก่า

By the way. Are we allowed to take our own food on board or must we buy the food at duty free

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Nothing to stop you taking your own food on board, at least we haven't been stopped up to now.
    Mind you I suppose it depends what you mean. We take sandwiches and packets of snacks (Pringles) just in case Nok doesn't like the airline food.
    We haven't tried taking on a full meal as yet!
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Old Hand มือเก่า

Thanks, it was just crisps and home made sandwiches

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

just booked Malaysia air bkk/lhr for 6th May 10,200 baht, could of added a return in August for a total of 22,000 baht

looked at bkk/lhr/bkk for a 3 week return in August 20,800 baht.

both with short stop overs

Play with dates and the fares come in at 7,500 baht each way + tax ( 700 baht bkk/lhr and 5,000 baht lhr/bkk ) watch out for the 11hr stop over bkk/lhr

just to show how cheap these prices are, a one world staff ticket for the round trip of bkk/lhr/bkk via kul comes in at 18,000 baht, and that's a no profit standby price

And the vital info for everyone, with who!
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Malaysian airlines website

yes sorry direct with Malaysia air, none of the sites i use were showing those fares.
    Last edited by steve187; 16th Apr 2017 at 02:22.

Damn, it would be Malaysian! After reading about the crazy arrests and imprisonments in Gulf countries I've been looking to change from Etihad - limited though as I fly from Manchester.