Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Aug 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq
    Posts
    491

    Default Savannakhet Tourist Visa Situation 30 Jan 2017

    As Ohmmy and I are not married yet so I have had to come to Savannakhet to get another tourist visa.
    The Visa is free at the moment but they are clamping down on whether or not you get one, loads of people turned away because they turned up with what used to be the normal paperwork.
    I don't know if its because they are giving free visas but they are requesting you show them money in an account, I showed my newly acquired Bangkok Bank Book and attached a photocopy with enough funds in, I think its 40,000 Baht or more they need to see.
    They also now want to see a flight out off Thailand, fortunately I am going to England with Ohmmy next month.
    Also they want to see hotel reservation or apartment agreement, I included mine and Ohmmy's apartment agreement
    I have only had cause to use Savannakhet 3 times, including today, in my two and a half years of coming to Thailand and is as definitely got harder.
    The guy behind the glass was getting really irate with people who didn't know.

    Anyway sat having a fish and chip wash down with a honey and lemon smoothie at the Macchiato De Coffee House, then off to the hotel for the night.

    Wayne

  2. #2
    Premium Member i_hate_theo's Avatar
    Join Date
    30 Dec 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    419
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Off topic....

    Macchiato De Coffee, what a fantastic place. It looks so out of place in Savan though!

  3. #3
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ johnb's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Apr 2004
    Location
    Mam and I live in Muang Surin
    Posts
    556

    Default

    [QUOTE=Lonerider;262221]I have only had cause to use Savannakhet 3 times, including today, in my two and a half years of coming to Thailand and is as definitely got harder.


    And so it should. I don't understand why this route has remained open as long as it has. We all have to jump through hoops to live or visit here. Why should some places have different rules to others? I vote for equal hoops.
    nao faz mal means mai pen rai

  4. #4
    Premium Member caller's Avatar
    Join Date
    7 Sep 2005
    Location
    Hua Hin & Bangkok
    Posts
    5,613

    Default

    Just been reported on the Hua Hin forum that they are asking for this extra information at Dan Singkhon immigration (Prachuap Kiri Khan). It seems many tourists were unaware of the changes (hardly a surprise if no-one is told) and being turned away.

    I wonder how long it will last?

    I mentioned the above info in the thread about this there.
    'Tis me

  5. #5
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Aug 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by i_hate_theo View Post
    Off topic....

    Macchiato De Coffee, what a fantastic place. It looks so out of place in Savan though!
    Yes its a nice place, its a shame is closes early

    [QUOTE=johnb;262231]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    I have only had cause to use Savannakhet 3 times, including today, in my two and a half years of coming to Thailand and is as definitely got harder.


    And so it should. I don't understand why this route has remained open as long as it has. We all have to jump through hoops to live or visit here. Why should some places have different rules to others? I vote for equal hoops.
    I can't disagree with you, just stating fact from today

    - - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    Just been reported on the Hua Hin forum that they are asking for this extra information at Dan Singkhon immigration (Prachuap Kiri Khan). It seems many tourists were unaware of the changes (hardly a surprise if no-one is told) and being turned away.

    I wonder how long it will last?

    I mentioned the above info in the thread about this there.
    I wouldn't like to say how long it will last, but I do think all the visa places should run of the same page, then it would make life easier for everyone, but fat chance of that happening.
    I generally get mine from Hull hence only the 3 times in 2.5 years, but changing jobs soon hopefully, 8 on 4 off so that should negate the need for visas for a few years unless they do the same as they have on the land borders and limit it to two visa exempt stamps per year. Because I will find it mighty difficult to get any kind of visa where I will be working.

  6. #6
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    5 Apr 2008
    Location
    Phala Rayong
    Posts
    652

    Default

    [QUOTE=Lonerider;262234]Yes its a nice place, its a shame is closes early

    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post

    I can't disagree with you, just stating fact from today

    - - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -



    I wouldn't like to say how long it will last, but I do think all the visa places should run of the same page, then it would make life easier for everyone, but fat chance of that happening.
    I generally get mine from Hull hence only the 3 times in 2.5 years, but changing jobs soon hopefully, 8 on 4 off so that should negate the need for visas for a few years unless they do the same as they have on the land borders and limit it to two visa exempt stamps per year. Because I will find it mighty difficult to get any kind of visa where I will be working.
    if you are going to be back in Thailand every 8 days, i can see you having problem with repeated visa exempt, unless you come up with a long term plan, re-entry permits or the like.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Aug 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq
    Posts
    491

    Default

    [QUOTE=steve187;262242]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    Yes its a nice place, its a shame is closes early



    if you are going to be back in Thailand every 8 days, i can see you having problem with repeated visa exempt, unless you come up with a long term plan, re-entry permits or the like.
    Yes sorry I meant to put weeks, so it will be every 2 month, so it will be around 4 times a year

    Wayne

  8. #8
    Guest Flip's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    The Visa is free at the moment but they are clamping down on whether or not you get one, loads of people turned away because they turned up with what used to be the normal paperwork. I don't know if its because they are giving free visas

    Yup probably - expect the situation to return to how it was when the free visas end. They like to say they are giving away free visas but do as little of it as possible!

  9. #9
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Aug 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Yup probably - expect the situation to return to how it was when the free visas end. They like to say they are giving away free visas but do as little of it as possible!
    I was talking to a guy on the way back into Thailand and he said that the free visa has been extended for another 3 month, that might upset a few more folk lol. I don't see an issue with showing monies, flight or bus ticket for leaving.


    Sent from my iPhone whilst having a cold beer

  10. #10
    Member สมาชิก buksida's Avatar
    Join Date
    2 Feb 2017
    Posts
    31

    Default

    The 'free visa' is only for certain countries, very few of which come here in big numbers:

    The 21 countries included in the visa incentive program are: Andorra, Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Papua New Guinea, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.

  11. #11
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Aug 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buksida View Post
    The 'free visa' is only for certain countries, very few of which come here in big numbers:

    The 21 countries included in the visa incentive program are: Andorra, Bulgaria, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, Ethiopia, Fiji, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Papua New Guinea, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan.
    I don't really understand what you mean.
    I was in Savannakhet last month and I got a free tourist visa, and you ain't even got the UK on your list!
    So I think you need to be more specific, do you mean Visa Exempt, Do you mean Visa on Arrival, do you mean tourist visa? Rather than confusing the matter.

    As clearly this topic is about Tourist Visa in Savannakhet
    Last edited by Lonerider; 18th Feb 2017 at 03:21. Reason: counted written countries wrong

  12. #12
    Premium Member Gary & Nok's Avatar
    Join Date
    5 Mar 2006
    Location
    Birmingham - UK
    Posts
    13,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    So I think you need to be more specific, do you mean Visa Exempt, Do you mean Visa on Arrival, do you mean tourist visa?
    Are Visa Exempt and Visa on Arrival not the same thing.
    You get a 30 day exemption visa on arrival in LOS (by air).
    Independence Day 31st January 2020

  13. #13
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Join Date
    28 Aug 2016
    Location
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Nok View Post
    Are Visa Exempt and Visa on Arrival not the same thing.
    You get a 30 day exemption visa on arrival in LOS (by air).
    They are different, there are a number of countries that get Visa Exempt, UK being one of them, i.e you do not need a visa to get into the country...you just get a stamp and pay no money. It is what you stated...an exemption
    Other countries have to get a visa on arrival, they physically buy a visa at the airport (don't know about land crossings), which at the moment, i believe, has been reduced from 2000 THB to 1000 THB

    http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/visa-on-arrival.php
    http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/...isa-exempt.php

  14. #14
    Member สมาชิก buksida's Avatar
    Join Date
    2 Feb 2017
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post
    I don't really understand what you mean.
    I was in Savannakhet last month and I got a free tourist visa, and you ain't even got the UK on your list!
    So I think you need to be more specific, do you mean Visa Exempt, Do you mean Visa on Arrival, do you mean tourist visa? Rather than confusing the matter.
    It was posted on another forum which I don't think I can link to. You seem to have cleared the matter up now anyway, I probably confused the issue!

Similar Threads

  1. Settlement visa costs 2016 to 2017
    By leshemp in forum UK Visas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 28th Feb 2016, 22:02
  2. Savannakhet , Laos
    By sisaket in forum Accommodation / Tourism
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th Jul 2012, 15:35
  3. 1 month in Laos - from Pattaya to Savannakhet
    By i_hate_theo in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 7th Jun 2011, 00:01
  4. Update on Divorce-Visa Situation
    By OneAlanShearer in forum UK Visas
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 15th Mar 2011, 00:25
  5. spouse visa /living situation
    By BARTMAN in forum Thai Visas, Documents, etc.
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd Nov 2009, 21:59

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •