Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default First British passport Problems

Hi Guys

I wondered if anyone can give some advice,
    We applied for my wife's first British passport, we put the application in her married name her naturalisation certificate is in her married name BUT her Thai passport is in her maiden name,.
    We got a letter back saying the application was refused because the name on the application didn't match the name in her Thai passport, if we want to use her married name we need to change the name in the Thai passport,
    One question can we apply in using her maiden name? so it matches her Thai passport.
    I have phoned to ask, they said yes as long as you can show the marriage certificate,
    and have experienced this?
    And is it possible to change the name on your Thai passport to your married name without going back to Thailand?

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

my wife has Thai passport in Maiden name, UK passport in married name and certificate in married name, sent off via post office checking service, some years ago now

My dil had thai passport in maiden name but thai id card in married name.her certificate was in married name and she was worried that her british passport would be in maiden name.
    She did check and send and lady said no problem with married name on passport,she took copies of marriage cert plus bank details with married name plus council tax bill with married name on.
    she got british passport with marrried name on then changed thai passport to married name when she was in thailand last year.
    i think you can change thai passport to married name in uk but you have to go to london.
    i was also under the impression that if certificate is in married name then her british passport would also go in married name.maybe because dil had thai id in married name they issued passport in married name i dont know.
    she got passport last year ,hope this helps.x

Nok had passport in maiden name and Citizenship certificate was in married name, we had no problem getting passport in married name.
    I believe the rules changed a few years ago, so now you cannot do this.

Quote Originally Posted by wisatime View Post
    One question can we apply in using her maiden name? so it matches her Thai passport.
    I have phoned to ask, they said yes as long as you can show the marriage certificate,
    Sounds odd to me because then you have the opposite problem of her Citizenship Certificate is in her married name which doesn't match her passport.
    So if they say they can do it this way round were is the common sense they can't do it the other way round (like they used too) using the marriage certificate in both instances to explain the name change

Did you use a check and send service?
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi guys thanks for your reply's,
    They said they can only issue a British passport in the same name that is on the passport you arrived on, and her Thai passport she arrived on is in her maiden name, we filled out the application in her married name as we didn't know this, so we asked if we applied again in her maiden name to match her Thai passport would it be ok... they said yes as long as you show the marriage certificate to show the name change for her naturalisation certificate... i don't know if anyone here had to do the same?
    we used the online application to apply but next time i think we will use check and send service,
    From what I'm reading a lot of people done the exactly the same as us a few years ago and it was all good,
    One more question do you need to change the name on the thai house registration first before you can do a name change on the Thai passport in London?

Thank you

...but next time i think we will use check and send service,
    I know it is extra money but for me the small cost was worth it because we had actually filled the form in with Nok's maiden name (as that is what her passport said) but the woman advised that we use her married name on the form so she would be naturalised under her married name and British passport issued the same.

From what I'm reading a lot of people done the exactly the same as us a few years ago and it was all good,
    As I said, you could do this and we did, BUT it all changed a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by wisatime View Post
    ...so we asked if we applied again in her maiden name to match her Thai passport would it be ok... they said yes as long as you show the marriage certificate to show the name change for her naturalisation certificate...
    At the checking service we were told that the passport would be issued to the name that is on the Naturalisation Certificate, that was why we changed our form.
    Seems odd they are prepared to issue a passport to a name different than that on the certificate but...

It really depends then on what you want and if it matters to her (you) what her passport says. After all it is only a travel document.

You have been given the go-ahead (I presume in writing just in case there is an issue) to apply in her maiden name.
    Or you go down the route of changing her name in her Thai passport.

Which route is less of a pain?

I thought this was very strange as we did ours the logical way, doing a bit of digging around there are two postings that have useful info:-
    http://www.immigrationboards.com/bri...d-t179624.html
    and
    http://www.immigrationboards.com/bri...s-t216754.html

With the 2014 policy causing the confusion for people being:-
    http://s3.documentcloud.org/document...g-note-pdf.pdf

seems silly to me to issue UK passport in Maiden name, but that's the jobsworth element, so the answer would be to obtain in maiden and then change to married after, a two stage process instead of one, but i would check with the post office when applying

Looking in to this a bit deeper a couple of things stick out.

It does say on the form at 1.6
    A British passport will not be issued in a different name from the one in a person’s foreign passport or travel document.
    But it also says at 1.6
    If the name stated above is not the name you use for all purposes, state:
    The surname/family name that you use:
    Other names used:

The reason why this is different from the name on your passport or other official documents:
    You must provide evidence of this name, such as a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate or deed poll. It is your responsibility to ensure that the information you provide is correct. Any suspicion of deception will be investigated.
    So a change by marriage, as documented in your certificate is OK.

But then it carried on to say
    We will not normally issue a certificate of registration or naturalisation in the name that is different from a person’s official documents.
    But in this case they clearly did.

So a complete and utter conflict of statement/information.

So at the Naturalisation stage it should have been picked up that the married name can not be used as your documentation i.e. your passport, is in your maiden name!!!

Unfortunately yet again a form that has been created by an idiot!!

Sorry I know it doesn't help you wistime but it shows that you need to read and re-read and then maybe get someone to check that the form is filled in correctly just so that ambiguities like this don't cause you problems down the road like it has for you.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Guys
    Thank you so much for your reply's, the update is now the British passport office all documents must match,
    So the only way to change the name on her Thai passport in the UK without going all the way back to Thailand is to get Power of Attorney for House Registration from abroad from the Thai embassy in London to allow her mom to go to the district office and change her name on the house registration..
    Has anyone here done this??
    Thank you very much
    n

Sounds like going back to Thailand to change the house book would be the easy solution.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.