Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Clamp Down n Passengers in Pick Ups?

My wife is getting very worried about an apparent ban on passengers in the back row of pick up cabs and in the rear open area. It seems this is the hot topic of the day in Thailand, making the junta even more unpopular.

My view is, if it's true, it will blow over in weeks and people will revert to disobeying this law as with so many others.

Has anyone else heard anything?!

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Postponed until after Songkran..Likely to be only enforced in cities and most fines will go in PC Plod's retirement fund..

Thanks. Astonishing slip up from the government, effectively ❇❇❇❇ing off most of the population.

Ian, that was my wifes attitude to the news last night too. How are the children going to get to school? why are they targeting the poor who have no other form of transport?...but aren't we always critical of the road death figures?

Imo they are trying to do something positive here. Just like asking anyone riding a motorbike to wear a helmet, don't drink and drive, or now, don't sit the back of pickups.

A lot of the population don't pay any attention to the advice or give a hoot about themselves or anyone else's safety on the roads...especially children going to school overloaded in the back of pickups or 10 kids hanging on to a motorbike without a helmet in sight.

How many vehicles have an MOT, how many drivers have passed a test to be on the roads? I'm all for this ban or anything they do to try and make people aware of the dangers.

If any fines go into the plods tea money good, I'd rather that than get wiped out by a drunk driver that's never sat a test, driving a car thats not safe to be on the roads and has no insurance or kill a family packed in the back of a pickup without seatbelts or airbags because someone pulled out in front of me without looking.

Sorry for the rant, I just could not get the safety aspect through to my wife last night. I actually quite like some of their lazy attitude to driving but they take it too far.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

How will this law relate to all the songthaews?
    Lucky

Another new law to be disregarded. Its easy to make new laws but you have to be prepared to implement them. They don't implement the laws they have now so I don't see anything changing.

I saw an article somewhere where a government bigwig was asked why traffic laws are not enforced (other than imaginary speeding and motorbike helmet offences). His answer beggars belief - apparently they don't have a system for prosecuting most offences and to set up traffic courts would be too expensive!!

Oh well, never mind its not too bad.......only 80 deaths per day on the roads of Thailand!

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by IanB View Post
    Thanks. Astonishing slip up from the government, effectively ❇❇❇❇ing off most of the population.
    It's "astonishing" that any Thais should be more worried about 'fun' than being the 2nd worst country in the world for road deaths. (In fact, they're probably the worst - they only count the deaths that happened right there at the scene, I think, not the ones where they died later). Innocents dying, kids dying and they're concerned about their own 'fun'. They need an attitude change.

It's a bit like people complaining about not being able to drink and drive 35 here years ago or having to put on seat belts. Except that we were adult and rational and decided these were good things to enforce.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-38660283

Living, who said anything about "fun"? People in rural areas depend on their cars to survive. They need them to take the kids to school, take granny to hospital, ferry farm workers around, etc etc.. I am a strong proponent of road safety in Thailand. Let's start by enforcing the laws already there: drink driving; wearing seat belts; speeding; car safety checks; not overloading; using lights at night. Implement those and you would halve the death toll, without destroying anyone's livelihood.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Yes to the sense of enforcing all those laws first but I suspect that enforcement doesn't happen because it wouldn't be popular. People like to speed, don't care about seat belts or driving while drunk. There's no collective will (or sense of responsibility) or sense of risk. It's all fate, innit. In the end people quite like the option of speeding and being able to bribe a policeman.

I'm not even sure I can trust my own wife not to get slack with safety with our two kids after a few weeks or even days back if I'm not there.

This has nothing to do with cars, it's pickups.

Let's start by enforcing the laws already there: drink driving; wearing seat belts; speeding; car safety checks; not overloading; using lights at night. Implement those and you would halve the death toll, without destroying anyone's livelihood.
    Is that not what they're doing with this new law (enforcing the obvious), or are they all buckled up in the back of the pickups?

If they had cars instead of pickups there wouldn't be problem here, they would save a few bob too as they're cheaper.

Songthaews are exempt from the new rules as I believe pick-ups are on agricultural land..

Quote Originally Posted by Scot View Post
    Is that not what they're doing with this new law (enforcing the obvious), or are they all buckled up in the back of the pickups?

If they had cars instead of pickups there wouldn't be problem here, they would save a few bob too as they're cheaper.
    No, what they are doing is reacting to the outcry following a horrific crash over the Christmas/New Year holiday involving a minibus (van) and a pick-up full of people - 25 killed in total I believe. Tragic as that was, why weren't they doing anything about all the other crazy stuff that goes on on Thailand's roads before that?

This is a knee jerk reaction that will be ignored after a while.

Also, as far as I know, an average family car is significantly more expensive than an average 4 door or smart cab pick-up. Taxes are reduced on pick-ups as they are deemed the transport of poor farmers - making them cheaper. If you're comparing a Honda City to a 4X4 4 door Hilux then yes, the pick up is more expensive.

People in rural areas depend on their cars to survive.
    Not only in rural areas. I lived in Muang district in Korat, but the road we were on, which had grown and developed with alarming speed, heading off the busy Ratchasima-Chok Chai road at the junction with Tesco's and homepro, only had one songthaew route and only 2 trips each way per day!

I hated the filled pick-up's, kids and families on bikes and so on, but there was no other option for the school run and work trips and it wasn't unusual to see accidents, it never is in Thailand, but with no forward thinking or infrastructure plans when developing new areas, there will always be a need for such transport and the Bkk centralist enforced rules will be ignored as being totally impractical.
    'Tis me

From the Bangkok Post:

A pickup truck can carry up to six people in its bed, the government spokesman said on Thursday in an attempt to clear the confusion over the relaxed safety rule.
    Sansern: Pickup can carry up to six in bed

What a farce.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

My favourite example of farcical Thai law making is the "can't sell alcohol from 2-5" that was brought in by Thaksin. I can't remember what that was supposed to achieve and I definitely can't work it out from the law. The not selling alcohol around elections is pretty silly too. They enforce that more than drink driving, I think.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by tudorowen1 View Post
    Songthaews are exempt from the new rules as I believe pick-ups are on agricultural land..
    Beach Road Pattaya?
    Lucky

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

30 years of going to Thailand and the law I've seen inforced the most is the no buying booze between these hours one, I still don't know the point and I'd guess it saves zero lives - meanwhile ten of thousands die each year and the best bit is it's the same accidents repeated over and over and over and over......you get my point ! Absolutely freakin useless...

The rest of the world advances, Thailand lights an incense stick and waves some flowers at the car for good luck...sigh (actually this sounds like our war on Terror)

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Big AL's Avatar

Perfectly safe

Poor or not, I hope (but doubt) they will enforce this law but having seen Maokong's post above, it seems that all that's going to be achieved is a reduction in the amount of people killed or injured when pick ups are involved in accidents.

Years ago I remember driving up Highway 2 towards Korat at Songkran and seeing quite a lot overturned pick ups/smashed up trucks - many in the central drainage ditch and knowing that in all probability those trucks would have contained many passengers.

Locally and on farm tracks perhaps but on highways where people drive like idiots on a good day? - carnage waiting to happen.