Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default E-Cigarettes and Vapourisers in Thailand?

I have heard some reports about e-cigarettes and vapourisers being banned in Thailand and serious consequences for bringing them into Thailand, even for personal use. Looks like the law was introduced in 2014.

Have seen reports of hefty fines and even court. This really surprised me as last year I was openly using a vapouriser outside of Suvarnabhumi Airport, Udon Airport and other places in full view of the Police and completely unaware of the "crime" I was committing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ne...d-ecigarettes/

Is this correct? If so, think it would be useful information for all those who might fall foul of the law...

I heard about this recently but happily puffed away when I was in Thailand in 2015 and 2016. No problems in the airports at all back then and I bought two of them in a shop in Jung Ceylon when my batteries finally died.

There was a report on here (I'm sure) just recently (last few weeks) to say that the law was now being enforced and heavy fines imposed at the airport.

Will try and find it but cannot remember what section.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

My first visit to Thailand I was using my vape and wondering why I was getting strange looks. Later that night in the hotel I looked up and yes, they are illegal and even read reports of people being sent to prison for using them. So on that visit from then onward, I would only use on my hotel balcony.

Further visits since, I have not taken my Vape and gone without.

http://www.jpost.com/International/B...hailand-540038

Pateley Bridge, North Yorkshire/ Khao Yai, Korat

Nothing surprises me in Thailand but I'm baffled that e-cigs are banned whilst normal cigs are legal.

The answer is probably that the tobacco industry have put money in the right places to have vaping banned.

Does anyone know the latest on this vapour ban?
    we're thinking of going to Thailand January but i'm not sure i could hack three weeks without puffing on my vape. will it be safe to take it inside the suitcase so i can at least use it at the hotel room?

Stopped smoking cigs 4 years ago, the vape stick suits me fine. OK, we don't know if e-cigs/vaporises are totally harmless, but i think its fact they're less damaging than normal cigs.

This ban is ridiculous

Agree, I too think it's ridiculous, unfortunately last trip was cancelled due to illness, but from all I heard I was not prepared to even take my vapes to Thailand and had bought some Nicotine Chewing Gum in preparation. If it were not for the "family" connection with Thailand, I would now choose not go there due to the ban, but there's also a part of me that wishes I wasn't so "addicted" to the damn things that this is the case.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

I would guess, like everything, it depends where you are.
    I have never smoked but the little missus gave up on the sticks about 3 years with the help of vaping, and continues to vape now.
    On our 2 most recent visits she had no problems whatsoever. She used it in the smoking area immediately outside swampy, in all the service areas we stopped at, for 4 months up in the village, and finally in the hotel, bars, streets and beach area of Pattaya.
    Now it may be that she was extremely lucky but she was far from the only one person using one, especially in Pattaya.

On leaving the village her nephew asked us to leave the spare machine with him. I said it was absolutely pointless as when it was empty it would become of no use. He claimed that he could buy gel in a shop in our nearest town, Nong Ki. I cannot confirm if this is correct as Jumpa took more than enough with her to last her holiday
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Do it at your absolute peril. Plenty of signs around making it clear the penalties are frankly outstanding. Little point sticking them deep in suitcases when you intend to use them subsequently.
    Ludicrous claims of 10 years touted around as well.

The thought of having to look over my shoulders constantly for 3 weeks means I wouldnt bother in the first place. Suppose you could bury them deep (remember all cases are "supposedly" being xrayed) and then just have a puff in the toilet but go anywhere near Thais when doing it and you're on offer

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Latest post on Trip Advisor

My recent experience of using e cigarettes in Thailand.

29 Jan 2018, 13:00

Yesterday I returned from a 2 week trip to Thailand, staying in Bangkok, Koh Samui, Khao Sok National Park and Khao Lak.
    Like may others, I was confused about the rules and regulations regarding the use of e cigarettes in Thailand as it seems like a very grey area. So for anyone looking for recent clarification, this is my experience. Please note, that this is my experience only and you will need to make up your own mind as to whether you decide to take e cigarettes into Thailand yourself.
    First off, I emailed the Thai Tourist Authority regarding the use, on a personal level, of e cigs in Thailand. The official reply I got from them was that it is illegal to import into, or sell, e cigs or liquid in Thailand. (The reason for this, I gather, is not because they think they are the devils own items, but that the Thai government have yet to work out how to tax e cigs or juice). But it then went on to say that it was perfectly fine to take e cigs/batteries/juice etc into the country for personal use. This email I printed off and kept with me at all times.
    Between us, my husband and I took in 4 tanks, 4 batteries, 2 chargers and about 400ml of liquid.
    We dismantled all the hardware, and carried them in our hand luggage.
    At Heathrow airport we were not in any way questioned about this.
    So, we arrive at Suvarnabhumi airport, our hand luggage was scanned. Not a single problem. We spent 3 days in Bangkok and every place we went to we asked respectfully if it was OK to smoke our e cigs. Not only was it totally OK, but we actually got looked at like we were mad, as in a 'why wouldn't it be?' kind of way. We also smoked in the street and did not get even a single funny sideways glance.
    So, Bangkok, nailed.
    Then we had an internal flight from Suvarnabhumi airport to Kho Samui. This was the one that was worrying me the most. When we went to check in our hold luggage, on the check in desk, where the signs are about what goods can and cannot be carried in hold or hand luggage, (guns, knives etc) was a separate sign saying 'E cigarettes must be carried in your hand luggage'. This put my mind completely at rest. There was NO sign saying e cigs were banned or illegal, but rather a sign saying, 'Yeah, totally cool, just carry in your hand luggage please'! Or words to that effect!
    When we arrived at Koh Sumui, again, absolutely no problem anywhere with smoking e cigs (although, we always asked). And openly smoked in the street.
    Khao Sok National Park, again no problem whatsoever.
    Khao Lak, ditto. There are a great amount of bars and restaurants in Khao Lak and we had no problem using our e cigs in any of them apart from just one bar (in the whole of our 2 week trip) that had a sign up saying 'No e cigarettes allowed' so we just moved onto another bar!
    On our way home, we flew from Phuket airport to Suvarnabhumi airport, with our e cigs in our hand luggage. My hand luggage went through the scanner and got pulled aside. I thought, here we go, last leg and were about to get them taken off of us. But no, I had a power bank (for charging our phones etc) in my hand luggage and I should have taken it out and put it in the tray and that was all they wanted so see. Absolutely no mention or question about any of my e cig paraphernalia in my bag at all.
    We then internally transferred at Suvarnabhumi airport for flight to Heathrow and not a single problem again.
    There is a lot of scare mongering and confusion our there about the use of e cigs in Thailand. Yes, we have all heard stories of people getting them taken off of them and fined by the police, but, with all due respect to the wonderful people of Thailand, this seems to be opportunistic behavior by, shall we say, less upstanding members of the Thai police, looking to make a quick buck from unsuspecting tourists. Therefore, I would advise, if smoking in the street, if you do see a police officer be a little discreet as s/he may be having a bad day, if you get my drift!
    So, I hope you find this information helpful and as long as you carry your e cig stuff in your hand luggage, have only enough tanks/batteries and juice to qualify as personal use and respectfully ask if it is OK to use when you wish to vape, you should have no problems at all.
    The sign at Suvarnabhumi airport, saying e cigs must be carried in hand luggage was the main thing that said to me that they are OK as otherwise surely there would have been a sign saying 'E cigs are not allowed'.
    Hope this helps anyone who is worried about the situation and please feel free to message me if you have any more questions.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

To add to the above, when we checked in with Emirates for our flight home from Swampy, we were asked if there were any batteries in our luggage. My wife replied that we had her vaping battery in one of the cases. We were asked to remove from our case and place in our hand luggage, it was not confiscated, we were not arrested
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Met an Aussie girl when recovering from my heart OP she was vaping in the hotel bar but was being quite discrete and disappeared to her room when busy. As a non smoker and having no desire to Vape I would never risk it due to the vagaries of the Thai police but unless you are blatantly stupid and indiscreet the risk of problems seems small .
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Member สมาชิก

Yes smoking and possessing E cigarettes here and the related paraphernalia is illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post
    Yes smoking and possessing E cigarettes here and the related paraphernalia is illegal.
    Agreed and the definition of insanity is doing it in front of Thais. When someone gets stitched up the call is not well 19 people had no objection but the 20th that did. Do it at your peril when informants are typically on 10%

Member สมาชิก

When I was in Thailand last April I went into the tourist police office at Suvanabhumi and asked the question. The answer was that one mod is OK, two would get me arrested. My wife rang the tourist police just before my August trip and she was told no vape gear allowed into the country. Just shows how fast things can change in Thailand.

I bought a mod from a stall next to Nana BTS in December 2016. It was still there in December 2017, and April 2018, with the vendors nowhere to be seen and the police sat 100 yards down the road.
    Last edited by PEL2112UK; 18th May 2018 at 23:42. Reason: addition info

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

so all ex smokers are vapeing has ive seen a few stopped smoking 2-3 yearss but still vape ,,,WHAT so it hasnt worked its supposed to be a device that helps you stop smoking its not working its a subtisuite WAKE UP,and thats from the people that have psted on here god help us

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by N Barton View Post
    Latest post on Trip Advisor

My recent experience of using e cigarettes in Thailand.

29 Jan 2018, 13:00

It appears to be arbitrary. Don't wish to be a party pooper but I wouldn't bet an official letter from the Thai embassy, personally I'll wait until it is confirmed in Thai law. I will ask my wife to phone the tourist police at Suvarnabhumi before my next trip to Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    so all ex smokers are vapeing has ive seen a few stopped smoking 2-3 yearss but still vape ,,,WHAT so it hasnt worked its supposed to be a device that helps you stop smoking its not working its a subtisuite WAKE UP,and thats from the people that have psted on here god help us
    Uhh? That doesn't make sense my friend.

Easiest Solution - Stop / Dont Smoke - The End
    bangkok mags

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by PEL2112UK View Post
    It appears to be arbitrary. Don't wish to be a party pooper but I wouldn't bet an official letter from the Thai embassy, personally I'll wait until it is confirmed in Thai law. I will ask my wife to phone the tourist police at Suvarnabhumi before my next trip to Thailand.

Uhh? That doesn't make sense my friend.
    my fingers were intoxicated

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    my fingers were intoxicated
    Ah that explains it