Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default 20000 baht? Is it true?

I have seen "chatter" on the internet that Thai immigration is starting to enforce a rule that a tourist to Thailand needs to have 20000 baht available to show at immigration, or the equivalent in hard currency.

I cannot see any mention of this on this forum. I wonder if anyone has guidance whether it is true, or not?
    John

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

no differnet to any other country ,ie uk you carnt fund your visit you aint coming ,
    maybe its been law all the time and they are trying to enforce it remember this is a so called 3rd world country ,and way behind the likes of the us ,uk canada ,aussie and ex communist states ie russia ,china ,were if found with out the required docs could mean life in prison
    Last edited by Samsung; 1st Oct 2017 at 22:35.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I have seen "chatter" on the internet that Thai immigration is starting to enforce a rule that a tourist to Thailand needs to have 20000 baht available to show at immigration, or the equivalent in hard currency.

I cannot see any mention of this on this forum. I wonder if anyone has guidance whether it is true, or not?
    There was something on here , but no idea what category that was under .... just as a footnote I came into DMK from Myanmar last month and never gave it a thought , never seen anything different than normal , I did use Thai lines at immigration ...
    Last edited by sisaket; 2nd Oct 2017 at 01:18.
    bangkok mags

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

i wouldnt worry about there more concerned if you leave with that amount lol ,but on a serious note by all means they could enforce this ,as they was a article about forigeners begging in thailand as usual british press something to report but strange how they never mention how many have been killed in south thailand in the last 15 years ????

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

i think that if you are abusing the visa exempt and maybe tourists visa's by living in Thailand all year round, then they would be a way of refusing entry. as the 20,000 is in the rules but over the years has not been enforced

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

,,agree in the rules,,same as uk rules,, but to show you have £400-£500 is not a big effot
    think of it the other way

There has been some chat on here about this (somewhere) and apparently it is law (just another not enforced until they want to) and somebody was turned away at immigration as they didn't have any "cash" on them but did have an ATM/Credit card but it was considered not good enough.

I was there in May and there was no sign of this being asked for, I certainly wasn't.

I shall find out again in 8 weeks time but luckily I came back with 30 grand last time so I am covered if the subject is bought up.
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Thanks Guys, I am travelling to Thailand at the end of this month. I shall not chance it, and shall carry in enough sterling cash to ensure I do not have a problem. Better safe than sorry.

But Samsung, "no differnet to any other country ,ie uk you carnt fund your visit you aint coming", I think the difference is the insistence of having sufficient cash on entering Thailand, rather than available on say a debit card. I would not normally carry that amount of cash when travelling internationally.
    John

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

There was a lot of chat on facebook groups about this, but it has all died down weeks ago. I doubt you will have a problem as you are not one of the ones they are targeting

Member สมาชิก

It's a good idea to do this anyway - better FX rates if you change sterling when you arrive in Thailand in my experience - I've always got a wedge in my wallet!

In and out every 6 weeks, never been asked but I am aware that it has always been a requirement.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post

If someone comes over here for 2-3 weeks, then NO they wouldn't have to show 2,000

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk