Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Schengen Visa for Spain

Hi all... Not been on here in a while but it's always 1st port of call when looking for Thai related info...
    I don't see any recent threads on getting a Spanish/Schengen Visa... So not sure if any of the process has changed? Harder to get a visa or easier even?
    Can any one tell me the current process? Or post a link to where to begin please.
    The plan is to get a visa to go abroad next year.
    Thanks in advance
    Andy
    Nothing ever Changes...but the shoes!

Old Hand มือเก่า

nightmare for me and i would say most now require fingerprints and a visit to the embassey ie london but if your misses has a brp card do you need a visa?maybe not . ive give up on this might try after misses has her FLR in febuary sure some one will help

Quote Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
    Hi all... Not been on here in a while but it's always 1st port of call when looking for Thai related info...
    I don't see any recent threads on getting a Spanish/Schengen Visa... So not sure if any of the process has changed? Harder to get a visa or easier even?
    Can any one tell me the current process? Or post a link to where to begin please.
    The plan is to get a visa to go abroad next year.
    Thanks in advance
    It depends on your situation. Where do you live, are you married and if you are married does your wife have a BRP?

If you are married and your wife has a BRP and you are traveling together it's fairly simple. Having said that, Spain is one of the worst countries in the Schengen zone for needing extra documentation that they shouldn’t ask for. Denmark and Iceland are very simple and issued a visa for my wife while we waited early this year.

Let us have the information and somebody can help you.

Old Hand มือเก่า

agree rasg headache ,this is why i voted out ,uk never wanted in this ,if they did it would be easy to travel to europe .so vauge even airline companys dont know the rules why oh why hrmmmm me thinking .....

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

may i ask were these visa was issued denmark and iceland please

Andy,

Were you planning mainland Spain or Canary Isles, because it can be different on where you are going?

I would recommend sending an email to your MEP(s) requesting from them how you can get a free and expedited shengen visa for your travel plans, just to see how this fundamental right is so ridiculously implemented.
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/united...ds_region.html

Looks like Spain might have improved (we were told years back that we would have to wait three months for an appointment), but still not as it should be, there is some info here: https://uk.blsspainvisa.com/london/eea_eu_type_visa.php

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...y/index_en.htm
    Sample storyMarriage certificate enough to get a visa

Thomas is Irish and lives in Belarus with his wife Delia, a Belarusian national. When they wanted to visit Thomas's mother, now living in Spain, they applied for an entry visa for Delia.
    She included their marriage certificate in the application, but the Spanish authorities also asked for proof of hotel accommodation in Spain and health insurance before they would issue the visa.
    However, when Delia pointed out that no such additional documents were required under EU law, the Spanish authorities apologised for their mistake and immediately issued her entry visa.
    Yeah, bet they did

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    may i ask were these visa was issued denmark and iceland please
    Because Denmark handles the visas for Iceland. Applied in January this year. I called for an appointment. Went a few days later and they did the whole thing while we waited.

Hi Just to clarify we are married and my wife has her ILR for the last 14 years. The plan was to possibly go to mainland Spain.
    We have had Schengen visas in the past which were very easy to get from the Dutch embassy until rules started changing. I then gave up trying to get one. But thought maybe things may have changed again and might be worth looking at as a cheaper option than going to LOs
    I’ve been a member on here for probably 15 years now but don’t come on here as often as I did when we 1st got her visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Andy

Hi Just to clarify we are married and my wife has her ILR for the last 14 years. The plan was to possibly go to mainland Spain.
    We have had Schengen visas in the past which were very easy to get from the Dutch embassy until rules started changing. I then gave up trying to get one. But thought maybe things may have changed again and might be worth looking at as a cheaper option than going to LOs
    I’ve been a member on here for probably 15 years now but don’t come on here as often as I did when we 1st got her visa.
    Silly question. If your wife already has ILR, why doesn’t she get a British passport? No visas needed.

It's fairly straightforward to get a Schengen visa if your wife has a BRP and you are traveling together. If she hasn't, no doubt somebody else will help. Your wife is entitled to a free Schengen visa whichever EU country in the Schengen area she applies to but the documentation can vary a bit. It shouldn't but it does. Holland is one of the more enlightened countries that know the rules from my research and you simply need to book an appointment directly with the Embassy.

Hi Rasg, Not a silly question, although if you knew my history from being on here for years now, you would know my wife began learning English isol course etc, past the 1st bit when she arrived here 14 years ago when it was free to do.. Then met other Thai's and learning went out the window... So now it costs far too much to put her in to do English and I doubt she would even pass... So no passport..
    We have had a fair few Schegen visa's too and were really easy to get from Birmingham at the Dutch Embassy.
    I used to ring them in the morning and we'd drive over in the afternoon and put the forms in etc and then passport with visa returned via post.
    We fortunete to have met when we did and my wife came over all them years ago when things were easy.
    So not having been abroad for a while now, thought we might be able to look into it, with the hope that it may be an easy thing to get a schengen visa. Thailand is pretty much out of reach to us going as it's way out of our price range..

Is it still possible to apply for a schengen visa for say Holland and then use the same one for Spain etc if it's issued for a 6 month period, or are the period's they are issued for now a lot shorter. I've had one up to 12 months before.
    Andy

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Are you sitting comfortably...then I will begin. Google Visa for Spain and the website comes up Firstly down load the Schengen application form . Next click on appointments and select date and time, next turn up for interview and 5 days later collect passport and your on your way.
    However it is not that simple, The visa is free but there is a £17 handling fee. Documents needed are flight details and hotel which have already been paid for, copy of travel insurance, original and copy of marriage certificate, original and copy of your passport. Make sure you have copies of everything.
    Be prepared for up to 2 hours waiting , less if you go early as they don't start to overrun.
    Collection .....either come back when they text you ( approx 5 days )or pay for a courier but you have to be at home to sign for , I have always collected . My wife has had 4 in the last 12 months, last one in September. They will only give 1 or 2 entries and never for more than 1 month.
    If you collect on her behalf you need her to give you a signed authority. Good luck
    Melnathan

Usual stumbling block of booking flights then... Which forced me to give up pursuing a visa before...But in saying that. Your explaination of it seems pretty straight forward.. Thanks

Just looking at Dutch Embassy to see if their visa is as easy to get as it was previously for us...
    It appears that a company called VFS Global deal with the visa's.. But they also appear to be charging a rther high price.. for something that should be free?!?!

http://www.vfsglobal.com/Netherlands...ist-visit.html

Posted the wrong link above... Although I see nothing mentioned on this one about a fee...
    http://www.vfsglobal.com/Netherlands...eu-spouse.html

How do people get round the proof of travel ie plane tickets ? As you won't pay for tickets you may not use if you don't get a visa? I know a hotel can be booked and cancelled free of charge via booking .com.
    Andy

Usual stumbling block of booking flights then... Which forced me to give up pursuing a visa before...But in saying that. Your explaination of it seems pretty straight forward.. Thanks

Just looking at Dutch Embassy to see if their visa is as easy to get as it was previously for us...
    It appears that a company called VFS Global deal with the visa's.. But they also appear to be charging a rther high price.. for something that should be free?!?!

http://www.vfsglobal.com/Netherlands...ist-visit.html
    The embassies will try and push you towards VFS and you don't have to use them.

Take a look towards the bottom of this page:

www.netherlandsandyou.nl/travel-and-residence/visas-for-the-netherlands/short-stay-schengen-visa

I didn't give the Danish embassy a flight or hotel booking back in January. Just did them a printout of a hotel that I was thinking of booking. Same with the flight.

UPDATE - The following is wrong. I misread it. Give the embassy a call.

Towards the bottom of this page there is a link to book and appointment directly at the embassy and bypass VFS:

www.netherlandsandyou.nl/travel-and-residence/visas-for-the-netherlands/applying-for-a-short-stay-schengen-visa/thailand

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

VFS are a pain in the preverbial. They cost me all sorts of problems in Thailand. Spain through them out at the beginning of the year and now use someone in Holborn.
    If I am correct you have to apply to the country you first enter. Will follow your progress with interest.
    Melnathan

The OP could also exercise his EU rights and just turn up at the airport without a Schengen visa.

Take a look at the paragraph close to the bottom. A few have exercise the right on this forum. Try a search on here. We plan on trying it on a Eurostar trip soon.

Arriving at the border without an entry visa

Out of interest, are you not concerned you will be turned away... Maybe stressful and could see it being something that my Thai wife would not want to do..

I'm sure it's probably easy to apply for a dutch visa. Any of the others, Spain etc are probablty full of loads of red tape... if only I could find the official page with the correct info and correct fee's.... The links when I search are for companies to do it all and charge a fee! Round and round it goes....
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by melnathan View Post
    If I am correct you have to apply to the country you first enter. Will follow your progress with interest.
    Melnathan
    Unless things have changed the official position is that its either the first country you enter or the main country you will visit. In pratcice I've always applied to the easiest one. A shengen visa is valid for any member country.

Andy,

I couldn't swear to this but I don't think they are allowed to insist on booked flights etc. At the moment we are still an EU member and they are supposed to allow free and unhindered passage to the spouse of a citizen of an EU member state provided they are travelling with their UK citizen spouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip View Post
    Unless things have changed the official position is that its either the first country you enter or the main country you will visit. In pratcice I've always applied to the easiest one. A shengen visa is valid for any member country.

Andy,

I couldn't swear to this but I don't think they are allowed to insist on booked flights etc. At the moment we are still an EU member and they are supposed to allow free and unhindered passage to the spouse of a citizen of an EU member state provided they are travelling with their UK citizen spouse.
    It is true that a Schengen is valid for any country but they can make life difficult if you apply for one country and then try and enter by another.

They can’t insist that you show booked flights or show travel insurance. I didn't for Iceland earlier this year, as I mentioned earlier, but again, they can make things difficult. I applied for EHIC cards that are valid for medical treatment throughout the EU and they are free.

Out of interest, are you not concerned you will be turned away... Maybe stressful and could see it being something that my Thai wife would not want to do..
    No I'm not. I have read a lot about it and a few on here have done it. Initially using the tunnel and then for a short haul flight. I think by Ryanair but I can’t remember but it was to the Netherlands. My wife trusts me enough to just let me get on and do it. She would be a bit disappointed if we are turned away but the chances are very low. You are at liberty to report them to Solvit if you do have a problem and they will get a slap in the wrist.

I want to try it on a dead cheap ticket and there is a deal I found for the tunnel that is dirt cheap. If we are turned back we'll find something else to do.

Here is the text for one instance I read about elsewhere but people on here have done it. I wish I could find the posts. Maybe somebody else who knows the search system better could find them. It was about six months ago.

See also the visa Handbook found on the EU Home Affairs website:
    - site: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/wh ... dex_en.htm
    - handbook: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/wh ... ted_en.pdf
    - the Schengen visa code itself is also found on the EU site.

From about page 83 onwards is a chapter dedicated to EU family member applications.

Under the the Directive your wife would of course be entitled to a free visa, provided that you show you are married, traveling together (or going to join the EU spouse) and they can ID the both of you. There should be no need for bankbooks, insurance, accommodation etc. since all that is irrelevant if you can show that she is your wife.

We boarded the flight to Amsterdam and i thought of what i was going to say to the immigration officer on arrival. I decided i would give our evidence incrementally and only if it was required so i could advise you all what is and is not accepted. We had our marriage certificate, translation of marriage cert, bank statements, council tax bills and driving licenses with us to show that we were married and living at the same address. I also had the Directive 38 both in English and Dutch ready to show them of our rights.

I'm sure it's probably easy to apply for a dutch visa. Any of the others, Spain etc are probably full of loads of red tape... if only I could find the official page with the correct info and correct fee's.... The links when I search are for companies to do it all and charge a fee! Round and round it goes....
    Again, as I said earlier, I suggest that you give them a call or send an email.

I had loads of time and this email exchange was over Christmas last year.

These are the emails from my side to the Danish Embassy. When we turned up at the Embassy on the 23rd January the visa was issued while we waited but I had to be insistent.

Email 1
    Many thanks for the very comprehensive information.

The walkin service sounds great but I see it’s with VFS. Can you confirm that the visa is free please?
    Will my wife receive a Schengen visa for a short trip (no more than a week) to Iceland or will it be something that lasts longer? I haven’t booked tickets yet and we would like a little flexibility as we are (hopefully) going to see the Northern Lights.

Email 2
    So the visa is not actually free? It’s £24-25? Is it possible for the Consulate to provide the visa free of charge please?

Email 3We would now like to go ahead and book an appointment directly with the Embassy for a free visa, bypassing the use of VFS.
    Can you tell me when you have an appointment available please?

Email 4You asked me to supply a ticket of our flight. I am assuming that this is a miscommunication. Neither a flight booking or a flight reservation are required as Directive 2004/38 (being Community Law) takes precedence over the Schengen Visa Code. The directive applies here which does not require a flight booking or reservation of any kind: a written confirmation from me as an EU national should be sufficient evidence of my Thai spouse and me -a UK national- traveling to Iceland and are thus covered by the directive. You can treat this email as my written confirmation that we will be traveling together, along with my sister and brother-in-law.

I have attached a PDF showing the flights that we want to book but without a guarantee that the visa will be issued I am not willing to make a firm booking with the airline and pay out £850 without that assurance.

Of course, when we attend the appointment we will be bringing all of the documentation that is required for the successful application of a Schengen visa for my wife.

I hope that this satisfies your request.

Email 5UK nationals are not considered EU nationals in their own country, but for visa purposes will be when they leave the UK and travel to another EU country. Tickets are therefore required as proof that the non-EU family member is travelling with the UK national in order to determine whether the application can be processed under EU regulations.

I have, however, made an appointment for your wife at the Embassy on Monday 23rd January at 13:30.
    Last edited by rasg; 20th Oct 2017 at 00:05.

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    It is true that a Schengen is valid for any country but they can make life difficult if you apply for one country and then try and enter by another.
    I think that depends upon what you say if questioned. From memory, I think my ex's Schengen was issued by the German Embassy but we were actually visiting Belgium and Holland. I don't recall a problem but I was prepared to say, were here for a few days and then we're moving on to Germany for 2 weeks. They can't make life difficult that way as the rules clearly state either the first country you enter or the main country of the trip. Many of us here have done this although I understand that the 'easiest' embassies change - usually due to them outsourcing their visa application process to idiots like VFS etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    The OP could also exercise his EU rights and just turn up at the airport without a Schengen visa.

Take a look at the paragraph close to the bottom. A few have exercise the right on this forum. Try a search on here. We plan on trying it on a Eurostar trip soon.
    Hats off to you for doing this rasg....................I'm sure you'll get through but you may have a bit of fighting to do. Its a shame this right will probably end in March 2019 - I'd have liked to have taken them to task on this too.

Andy R ...
    A few times my Mrs had Multi Entry Schengen Visas issued by Consulates / Embassies of countries she did not visit IE Portuguese consulate in Manchester as it was the easiest at the time (issued same day) But used in Norway , Germany and Italy then later on used in Belgium ....
    bangkok mags

Member สมาชิก

RASG is spot on. Though to nitpick: You need to apply at the country that is your main objective, so you can apply at say the German embassy. You can enter and exit via any member state but Germany should be the country you will spent the most time on your first use of the visa. But if you get the visa and genuinly change your plans so that Germany is no longer the country where you will stay the longest in or visit at al, that's fine aslong as the authorities don't think you mislead them and lied about wanting to go to Germany (visa shopping). So to avoid any argument at the border or in the future, it's best to stick to your travel plan and be genuine about it. If you get a multiple entry visa it's fine to not visit the country that issued it on future visits.

The rules haven't changed since the introduction of the Schengen Code on Visa (2009) and freedom of movement directive (2004). Procedures with some embassies may have changed to cut costs etc. but if an embassy works by the book it's still a matter of:
    1. show that the non EU/EEA national is related to you (spouse etc.) and is an eligible family member as per directive 2004/38. Basically show the marriage certificate and possible an official translation and legalisation stamps so the embassy can understand the contents and see it's all legit.
    2. ID of the EU national and foreigner.
    3. Make evident that you travel together. A written statement should be enough but a free and cancellable travel reservation or hotel booking makes most embassies very happy even though strictly that's not needed.

But as we know may embassies wrongfully insist that the Thai national must have residency in the UK to apply from there (wrong, if married a thai national and EU spouse can apply at any Schengen embassy in the world, residence status is not to be taken into account), force you to use an external party such as are much beloved VFS friends (5555) or ask a load of other documentation that's not needed. Spain in particular even seems to dislike issuing multiple entry visas even though member states are supposed to be more and more relaxed the more often an alien has travelled and thus shown to be a bonafite traveller with frequent travels.

From an other forum I will copy paste this about MEV:

The Schengen code on visa says:
    ---------
    Regulation (EC) No 810/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 July 2009 establishing a Community Code on Visas (Visa Code)
    (...)
    8. Provided that certain conditions are fulfilled, multiple-entry visas should be issued in order to lessen the administrative burden of Member States’ consulates and to facilitate smooth travel for frequent or regular travellers. Applicants known to the consulate for their integrity and reliability should as far as possible benefit from a simplified procedure.

(...)

Article 24.2:
    Without prejudice to Article 12(a), multiple-entry visas shall be issued with a period of validity between six months and five years, where the following conditions are met:

(a) the applicant proves the need or justifies the intention to travel frequently and/or regularly, in particular due to his occupational or family status, such as business persons, civil servants engaged in regular official contacts with Member States and EU institutions, representatives of civil society organisations travelling for the purpose of educational training, seminars and conferences, family members of citizens of the Union, family members of third-country nationals legally residing in Member States and seafarers; and

(b.) the applicant proves his integrity and reliability, in particular the lawful use of previous uniform visas or visas with limited territorial validity, his economic situation in the country of origin and his genuine intention to leave the territory of the Member States before the expiry of the visa applied for.
    ----------
    Source:

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-conte...lex:32009R0810

Spain isn't exactly the most friendly and relaxed member state as you may have seen in other topics on these forums.
    You can of course file a complaint and objection if Spain issues 1 entry when you requested more, just like you would do as with a visa refusal. But that might be a long road. You may also see if you can change the embassies mind by including EU Home affairs in your email..(include them in a cc if you mail the Spaniards or forward the reply of Spain to Brussels) . Email:

JUST-CITIZENSHIP {at} ec.europa.eu

===================== 2016 Schengen stats BKK:
    MEV% - memberstate
    32,1% Denmark
    3,3% Finland
    44,1% France
    99,9% Germany
    21,2% Greece
    23,7% Hungary
    25,3% Italy
    35,4% Luxembourg
    99,6% Netherlands
    37,6% Norway
    1,0% Poland
    84,3% Portugal
    30,2% Slovakia
    1,1% Spain
    9,4% Sweden
    12,3% Switzerland

I'm sure it's probably easy to apply for a dutch visa. Any of the others, Spain etc are probablty full of loads of red tape... if only I could find the official page with the correct info and correct fee's.... The links when I search are for companies to do it all and charge a fee! Round and round it goes....
    Easiest should be to e-mail the (Dutch or whichever) consulate or embassy, ask them for a direct appointment and that you don't wish to use an external service provider. Saving you the service fee VFS etc. charge. Under direct access any applicants can bypass the external service provider but most certainly EU/EEA family members and their foreign spouse.

Any and all applications and esp. EU/EEA applicants need to be given an appointment within 2 weeks. And your IDs, her passport, application form (indicate under reason of visit: other, joining EU/EEA family member). Skip all questions marked with an *, perhaps ask for a MEV visa under number of entries to make things easier, bring (2) passport photo's for the visa sticker, add a short note by you I which you tell you wish to take your wife to travel around Europe and she joins you as per directive 2004/38. Travel insurance, hotel bookings etc. should not be needed but if you can easily make a free reservation throw it in to make them happy.

Should be as easy as that if the embassy knowns and abides the rules... (with Spain that's a nono, the Dutch should still know how to deal with this even though the Dutch MFA really likes to cut costs and see people go to VFS).
    Last edited by Donutz; 20th Oct 2017 at 12:01.